Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The War of the Pacific 1879

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The War of the Pacific 1879

    There are still effects from this war which have not been solved. It started when a Chilean company purchased the rights to mine Bolivian salt field for nitrates, needed by Europe for their wars. Bolivia had been the most corrupt of the Spanish American nations, and president Hilarin Daza was no exception. He decided to nationalize the mine and kick the Chileans out. Since he was allied with Peru he thought nothing would happen.

    The Chileans proved to be much more skilled on the field of battle than either Bolivia or Peru. The result was Bolivia lost its port of Arica and remains landlocked since 1880. There is still growing sentiment in Bolivia that they should at least have a port, since their economy has suffered ever since. Probably the reason why Che Guevara was greeted with open arms in the 1960s. There is a great divide in that country between the elite in La Paz and the rest of the country, such as the oil and gas fields in the eastern part of the country.
    When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law N 8
    Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
    "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

  • #2
    Nickuru, you've lost me on two points that detract from what you're trying to say.

    First, you label Bolivia as having been 'the most corrupt" of the Spanish-American nations. Really? where is the evidence for that statement. When was the poll taken, and who responded, based on what?

    Second, this:
    Probably the reason why Che Guevara was greeted with open arms in the 1960s
    Che Guevara was what??? It was the Bolivian communists who betrayed him, and the Bolivian Army who hunted down and killed him and his band off. And everything I heard from the American advisers on the ground confirms that. You can find the Bolivian point of view in Brig. Gral. Luis Reque Teran's La Campana de Nancahuazu. (La Paz, Bolivia, 1987)

    The fact is that Che, in the 1960s, was viewed by the Bolivians as just another Gringo trying to run things. Now, Beginning in the 1980s, that view started to change, as university students took to wearing those iconic Che tee shirts. What emerged was a romantic view the Che that had very little to do with the real Ernesto Guevara of 1966-67 and everything to do with dislike of their own governments.

    ps, I believe it would be in Chile's long term interests to return those lands to Bolivia, but nations are not always capable of doing what's in their best interests.
    dit: Lirelou

    Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nickuru View Post
      There are still effects from this war which have not been solved. It started when a Chilean company purchased the rights to mine Bolivian salt field for nitrates, needed by Europe for their wars. Bolivia had been the most corrupt of the Spanish American nations, and president Hilarin Daza was no exception. He decided to nationalize the mine and kick the Chileans out. Since he was allied with Peru he thought nothing would happen.

      The Chileans proved to be much more skilled on the field of battle than either Bolivia or Peru. The result was Bolivia lost its port of Arica and remains landlocked since 1880. There is still growing sentiment in Bolivia that they should at least have a port, since their economy has suffered ever since. Probably the reason why Che Guevara was greeted with open arms in the 1960s. There is a great divide in that country between the elite in La Paz and the rest of the country, such as the oil and gas fields in the eastern part of the country.
      To state that Bolivia was the most corrupt nation in South America at the time is quite a claim ? Can it be supported ?

      Also Arica was never a Bolivian port, I don't think. The pre-war borders of Bolivia embraced the coastal Province and port of Antofagasta, further South, which were lost to Chile.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lirelou View Post
        Nickuru, you've lost me on two points that detract from what you're trying to say.

        First, you label Bolivia as having been 'the most corrupt" of the Spanish-American nations. Really? where is the evidence for that statement. When was the poll taken, and who responded, based on what?

        Second, this:

        Che Guevara was what??? It was the Bolivian communists who betrayed him, and the Bolivian Army who hunted down and killed him and his band off. And everything I heard from the American advisers on the ground confirms that. You can find the Bolivian point of view in Brig. Gral. Luis Reque Teran's La Campana de Nancahuazu. (La Paz, Bolivia, 1987)

        The fact is that Che, in the 1960s, was viewed by the Bolivians as just another Gringo trying to run things. Now, Beginning in the 1980s, that view started to change, as university students took to wearing those iconic Che tee shirts. What emerged was a romantic view the Che that had very little to do with the real Ernesto Guevara of 1966-67 and everything to do with dislike of their own governments.

        ps, I believe it would be in Chile's long term interests to return those lands to Bolivia, but nations are not always capable of doing what's in their best interests.
        I think both of you are right, I have not my books on this war, they are with my family, so I have to dig up some stuff on the Internet. But as you point out an Argentino doctor trying to start a revolution was not something that the native Bolivians were interested in. The Aymara had always distrusted the city dwelling European mestizos. Latin America has had a sad history of corruption. Honestly it would be a coin toss between a number of countries.
        When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law N 8
        Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
        "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
          To state that Bolivia was the most corrupt nation in South America at the time is quite a claim ? Can it be supported ?

          Also Arica was never a Bolivian port, I don't think. The pre-war borders of Bolivia embraced the coastal Province and port of Antofagasta, further South, which were lost to Chile.
          You are both very right, the Bolivians had Antofagasta and Iquique, and actually is was Peru which had Arica in its territories. I had seen the maps years ago, and underestimated how much Chile got out of that stupid war. La Guerra del Pacifico was as bad a blunder as WWI. All countries took great casualties and had their economies ruined. Chilean, winning, got the nitrates up on the Andes so they recovered fast.

          The other mystery here is that Chile attacked Peru first, when the dispute was with Bolivia. Sounds a bit like WWI politics. What do you think?

          As to corruption, it would have been a coin toss with other Latin American countries, but the government of Hilarion Daza was regarded, even among certain other South American countries, as being the worst. Let me dig up more info on this. (not a fan of corruption) icon expresses their opinions and writing on Daza.
          When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law N 8
          Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
          "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

          Comment

          Latest Topics

          Collapse

          Working...
          X