Paraguay's President Fernando Lugo faces impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paraguay's President Fernando Lugo faces impeachment

Paraguay's parliament has voted to have President Fernando Lugo impeached after deadly land clashes last week. The opposition-controlled lower house overwhelmingly approved the move. The Senate quickly followed suit and announced it would hold the trial on Friday, giving the left-wing president 24 hours to prepare his defence. ...
    I hope this is just a bad translation because if this guy is really referring to himself in the third person, oh boy.

Speaking on national television, Mr Lugo said: "This president announces that he is not going to present his resignation and that he will fully respect the constitution and the law to face the impeachment trial and its full consequences."
    link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18535552
    Last edited by GCoyote; 21 Jun 12, 20:02. Reason: forgot the freakin' link
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

He's been pretty certainly ousted now, as the new president, Federico Franco has taken the oath of office. However, supporters of ex-president Lugo have gathered outside the Paraguayan Congress to protest what they see as a politically motivated coup d'etat. UNASR has also declared the removal of Lugo, despite his Congressionally approved impeachment, to be a coup, with the presidents of Venezuela and Argentina as being the most vocally against the ousting.

Thanks for posting, I was worried this might be overshadowed by the situations in Egypt, Syria, and our own Fast and Furious debacle.
    "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Always time for one more debacle.

Besides, you never know when a new revolution is sneaking up on while you're busy watching another war.
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post
        UNASR has also declared the removal of Lugo, despite his Congressionally approved impeachment, to be a coup, with the presidents of Venezuela and Argentina as being the most vocally against the ousting.
        If the procedures set out in Paraguay's constitution have been followed, then how is Lugo's impeachment a coup? What basis is there for that opinion?
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X