Queen Elisabeth II to visit the Republic of Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen Elisabeth II to visit the Republic of Ireland

Queen Elisabeth II is due to come to Ireland on an official state visit.
    This has been carefully arranged over the last few years.
    The last British head of state to visit what is now the Republic of Ireland was Queen Victoria at the turn of the last century so this is a very significant event in British Irish relations and signifies the final step in the normalisation of relations between the two countries.

The visit will be welcomed by the vast majority of Irish people but there is a very vocal minority who are deeply opposed to it. Those here who donít know their own history still talk about 800 years of oppression etc. Those that do know their history see the symbolic significance and the historical baggage attached which dates back a few hundred years.

The choreography and the form of words used will be important. I donít think any apologies are necessary or even wise; itís a case of the less said the better.
    She has been invited by our President and while in theory both women have significant constitutional power in practice they are both figureheads. That minimises the politicisation of the event.

Do any posters here from the UK have any opinions on the proposed visit?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

That is interesting and surprising to me. I'm sure my late grandmother, who was born in Ireland in 1900 as a subject of Queen Victoria, would find this fascinating.

Comment

It is time. I am sure she will do well. The only question is can she prevent her husband from making one of his famous imappropriate comments.
      Boston Strong!

Comment

In your opinion, would a visit by the British PM be more contensious?

My own personal opinion is that the Queen, for better or worse, is symbolic of Imperial Britain and all that entails. Given that she is head of state though it would defeat the purpose (normalisation of relationships) if we sent Cameron.

Can you also put me straight on another related point. Am I right in thinking that pushing for a united Ireland was part of the Republics constitution but has since been dropped as part of the Good Friday agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss View Post
          It is time. I am sure she will do well. The only question is can she prevent her husband from making one of his famous imappropriate comments.
          Wouldn't be a proper state visit without one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
            In your opinion, would a visit by the British PM be more contensious?
            No, thatís happened plenty of times

My own personal opinion is that the Queen, for better or worse, is symbolic of Imperial Britain and all that entails. Given that she is head of state though it would defeat the purpose (normalisation of relationships) if we sent Cameron.
            I agree. Thatís the whole point.

Can you also put me straight on another related point. Am I right in thinking that pushing for a united Ireland was part of the Republics constitution but has since been dropped as part of the Good Friday agreement?
            Yep, thatís right. In reality we accepted all international borders when we joined the UN so it was just symbolic. Now we are just like Britain; we donít want the North either
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Hope she dosent do what her name sake (QE1) did ......hung anybody irish playing a harp .

Comment

Dont worry...here in Canada we got lumbered with the same bunch of parasites that came over for a Canadain holiday....dont these people ever pay their own way anyplace instead of lumping us tax payers with the bill.

I dont wish them any harm and have sworn allegiance to her three times ( two armies, one citizenship) not by choice ... but like the old Roman Legion my allegience is to the country not a foreign emperor/queen....

Stay home !! madam....

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post
                  Dont worry...here in Canada we got lumbered with the same bunch of parasites that came over for a Canadain holiday....dont these people ever pay their own way anyplace instead of lumping us tax payers with the bill.

I dont wish them any harm and have sworn allegiance to her three times ( two armies, one citizenship) not by choice ... but like the old Roman Legion my allegience is to the country not a foreign emperor/queen....

Stay home !! madam....
                  With respect I think your missing the point. I swore to her aswell but not t her personally but as the symbol she represents , the symbol of the nation. She's non political unlike say the PM or a president.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                    Queen Elisabeth II is due to come to Ireland on an official state visit.
                    This has been carefully arranged over the last few years.
                    The last British head of state to visit what is now the Republic of Ireland was Queen Victoria at the turn of the last century so this is a very significant event in British Irish relations and signifies the final step in the normalisation of relations between the two countries.

The visit will be welcomed by the vast majority of Irish people but there is a very vocal minority who are deeply opposed to it. Those here who donít know their own history still talk about 800 years of oppression etc. Those that do know their history see the symbolic significance and the historical baggage attached which dates back a few hundred years.

The choreography and the form of words used will be important. I donít think any apologies are necessary or even wise; itís a case of the less said the better.
                    She has been invited by our President and while in theory both women have significant constitutional power in practice they are both figureheads. That minimises the politicisation of the event.

Do any posters here from the UK have any opinions on the proposed visit?
                    The last British head of state to visit what is now the Republic of Ireland was Queen Victoria at the turn of the last century

er no she wasn't - the last British Monarch to visit this part of Ireland was George V in 1911.

The visit will be welcomed by the vast majority of Irish people

I doubt it - most people couldn't care less about her.

Those here who donít know their own history still talk about 800 years of oppression etc. Those that do know their history see the symbolic significance and the historical baggage attached which dates back a few hundred years.

I think you have that one back to front!

That minimises the politicisation of the event.

You've just got to be joking - it's hugely political!
                    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
                      er no she wasn't - the last British Monarch to visit this part of Ireland was George V in 1911.
                      You are correct or course, I donít know how I forgot that one.

I doubt it - most people couldn't care less about her.
                      I couldnít care less about her but most people will welcome it as it is of symbolic significance.

I think you have that one back to front!
                      Why? A bunch of Normans were invited in and stayed. They were assimilated Ďtill a bunch of Welsh people took over the show in England and went mad over here. Then her ancestors lost the civil war in England and that lunatic Cromwell did to Ireland what Hitler tried to do to parts of Europe but he was no friend of her crowd.

Iíd blame the English since the Ascendancy but not before that.

You've just got to be joking - it's hugely political!
                      Itís hugely symbolic but I donít see why an elderly German(ic) tourist visiting Dublin is hugely political. She has been invited by our non-executive head of state, not our executive head. That reduces the political aspect of the visit. OK, maybe in this context reduce is a better word than minimise.

Personally I wouldnít walk out the door to see her (though if she landed in on me Iíd make her a cup of tea) but I am glad that relations with our nearest neighbour will be, with her visit, fully normalised.

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post

Stay home !! madam....
                        She is welcome here anytime.
                        "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                        "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                        ó Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                          You are correct or course, I donít know how I forgot that one.

I couldnít care less about her but most people will welcome it as it is of symbolic significance.

Why? A bunch of Normans were invited in and stayed. They were assimilated Ďtill a bunch of Welsh people took over the show in England and went mad over here. Then her ancestors lost the civil war in England and that lunatic Cromwell did to Ireland what Hitler tried to do to parts of Europe but he was no friend of her crowd.

Iíd blame the English since the Ascendancy but not before that.

Itís hugely symbolic but I donít see why an elderly German(ic) tourist visiting Dublin is hugely political. She has been invited by our non-executive head of state, not our executive head. That reduces the political aspect of the visit. OK, maybe in this context reduce is a better word than minimise.

Personally I wouldnít walk out the door to see her (though if she landed in on me Iíd make her a cup of tea) but I am glad that relations with our nearest neighbour will be, with her visit, fully normalised.
                          relations with our nearest neighbour will be, with her visit, fully normalised.

Indeed - that has been Britain's military/political Strategy for the past 35 years +

But not all us will be on our

Some will be giving her a big when she gets here.
                          http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss View Post

Oh Lord I hope not! It wouldnt be a state visit without the Duke of Edinburgh putting his foot in it with an exhibition of his wit and wisdom.

My personal fav is probably urban legend. On a visit to the US HM and Phil the Greek, paid a visit to USS Constituion? The preserved Frigate? At the time on the Quayside there was a display of cannon used in the war of 1812 a sizable number of which had the RN broad arrow on them. After scowling at the cannon for a bit he's supposed to have told his wife to have a word with the Minstry of Defence about over seas arm sales.
                            "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

relations with our nearest neighbour will be, with her visit, fully normalised.

Indeed - that has been Britain's military/political Strategy for the past 35 years +
                              True but whatís the alternative (I mean in the real world, not some pseudo-Marxist semi-fascist dreamland).

But not all us will be on our

Some will be giving her a big when she gets here.
                              I wonít be doing either. I have no interest is seeing the woman one way of the other.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X