The G8...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The G8...

I've just been watching some news, showing a shot of the leaders at the G8 Summit. A panning shot showed a bloke I thought I recognised. Then came a wide angle shot, and a quick head count showed 9 people. So I went to check, and I was right. Country Leader #9 was Herman Van Rompuy, President of the EU.

Why is he there? He's not the leader of a country, so why is he included.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_G8...8_participants
    Last edited by Listy; 26 Jun 10, 22:21.
    Winnie says
    ---------------------------------
    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
    Herr Flick.

The EU has always been represented since the G8 was created from the "G7+Russia".

He does not represent one country in the Group of 8 (leaders? countries? people?) but a conglumerate of countries, the so called European Union.
    Last edited by Kimi; 27 Jun 10, 03:06.
    Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
    Wirft über Land und Meer
    Weithin der deutsche Aar
    Flammenden Blick.

Comment

That picture was only two years ago

However let me expand that question. Why is the EU at the G8? And why doesn't say, the UN have a representative? Anything the Eu claims to be the UN can claim to being bigger.
      Winnie says
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post

However let me expand that question. Why is the EU at the G8? And why doesn't say, the UN have a representative? Anything the Eu claims to be the UN can claim to being bigger.
        Parliament, having gained small parts of its members souvereignity, build only by democracies, makes economic policies binding for some of the G8 countries... Hm... you're right, the UN does all of that.

Its not a picture but... since 1976.
        http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/economy...e_e/index.html
        Last edited by Kimi; 27 Jun 10, 03:20.
        Wirft über Land und Meer
        Weithin der deutsche Aar
        Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimi View Post
          Parliament, having gained small parts of its members souvereignity, build only by democracies, makes economic policies binding for some of the G8 countries... Hm... you're right, the UN does all of that.
          The Irony is the EU leader is the only undemocratically elected guy there! And the UN does take some of its sovereignty from its members, however the EU shouldn't be, cause I don't remember giving it up!
          As for the Economic policies, what about sanctions which the UN uses.
          Winnie says

It was an Accident."
          Herr Flick.

Comment

Why is he there? He's not the leader of a country, so why is he included.
            He is there to record the official history of the meeting, in pleasing haiku form, much like our own poet laureate.

Police cars burning
            Budget cuts agreed by all
            Sat next to Obama!

Comment

Change the question if I may. Why are other European nations there and not just the head of the EU? Is there a EU or not? We know the answer. SOS.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

John is quite right, more so than Listy I think. The Europeans are hogging all the seats.

Of course you're right Listy that the EU president is not democratically elected by the people. Neither is the commisar...

you know of course that there is not some kind of voting protocoll in place in the G8 where many european would outvote one american or anything like that. Eveything is voluntarily and the work is done before the meeting by the burocrats anyway, I very much dout that any of the leaders could pull of comprehensible reforms all by themselfes without any aides.

But then, the whole thing is a french brain child and the french leaders love grand gestures so I guess thats why they included the EU.
                Wirft über Land und Meer
                Weithin der deutsche Aar
                Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Von Rumpoy is not only undemocraticly elected guy in this crowd there is chinese comrade next to him.
                  Kosovo is Serbian.
                  I support United Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
                  Behead those who say Islam is violent!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoBorealis View Post
                    Von Rumpoy is not only undemocraticly elected guy in this crowd there is chinese comrade next to him.
                    Could you be miss Identifying the Japanese PM?
                    Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                    Herr Flick.

Comment

Could you be miss Identifying the Japanese PM?
                      My foult China and India are absent (as well as Brazil and other regional powers) but they invite such pigmeys as Haiti and Malawi? Well it's French made so I do expect some let say theatrical gestures.
                      Kosovo is Serbian.
                      I support United Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
                      Behead those who say Islam is violent!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoBorealis View Post
                        My foult China and India are absent (as well as Brazil and other regional powers) but they invite such pigmeys as Haiti and Malawi? Well it's French made so I do expect some let say theatrical gestures.
                        China and India are part of the G20 meeting that happened right after the G8 meeting. I think you just threw them into one pot. Cant really blame you though.
                        Wirft über Land und Meer
                        Weithin der deutsche Aar
                        Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimi View Post
                          China and India are part of the G20 meeting that happened right after the G8 meeting. I think you just threw them into one pot. Cant really blame you though.
                          Yes, that's true. They look so much alike.......like different.

Who was looking, who cares, did it matter, did the sun come up this morning?
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

It won't really matter from now on anyway. The G20 will be replacing the G8 as a "policy debating and shaping" body...

Comment

Doesn't really matter anyway. All the important decisions are made behind the closed doors of the WTO, IMF and the World Bank.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X