The Swiss and their assault rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Swiss and their assault rifles

Almost all Swiss men are required to have a ready assault rifle at home. Yet the gun related crime rate is quite low.
    Gun right supporters naturally point at Switzerland when arguing that easier legal access to guns doesn't raise crimes (I say naturally because I would definitely do the same if I were pro-gun).
    However, there was this incident were a Swiss shot several people in a courtroom, where he had to appear as the accused. He used AFAIK a pistol, black market or legal, for this. The incident got me thinking:

I assume that he could conceal the handgun but not the assault rifle, and trying to bring the later into the court room would probably have not been allowed to say the least.

Now my question, to the Swiss here or anyone else who is knowledgeable on the subject: you are required to have an assault rifle at home, but are there regulations when you may take it with you out of your home? Can you just grab your assault rifle and go out for a stroll whenever you feel like it, or are you restricted to bringing your rifles only to refresher courses and similar occasions?

I am completely ignorant on the matter, but I suspect that the Swiss do not allow their people to take their rifles with them as they please, for (automatic weapons + youth) times several million cases of such young men with auto rifles tends to invite disaster, even with the Swiss.
    Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
    Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
    USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

AFAIK the only have their rifles at home and get ammo when they are mobilized.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The reservists in the Swiss army keep their designated personnal weapon be it a Fass 90 rifle, a Sig 553LB short rifle or a P 75 pistol at home together with their full kit and ammunitions (a box of 50 rounds for the rifles or a box of 24 rouds for the pistol).

They are allowed to take their rifle/pistol to the range not only for the required practice sessions, but whenever they want and they can buy ammunition for training at a very low price.

kelt
      Last edited by kelt06; 17 Jun 10, 13:09.

Comment

I like the Swiss military.
        "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
        --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Are they immigrating much?
          Radio Paris Ment...
          Radio Paris Ment...
          Radio Paris est Allemand...

- Radio London opening intro

Comment

Originally posted by kelt06 View Post
            The reservists in the Swiss army keep their designated personnal weapon be it a Fass 90 rifle, a Sig 553LB short rifle or a P 75 pistol at home together with their full kit and ammunitions (a box of 50 rounds for the rifles or a box of 24 rouds for the pistol).

They are allowed to take their rifle/pistol to the range not only for the required practice sessions, but whenever they want and they can buy ammunition for training at a very low price.

kelt
            That's hardly any ammunition at all. I wonder why they keep so little on hand?

Comment

The Swedish equivalent of the national Guard have a similar practice, they can keep there AK-4:s at home, but without ammo.
              “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                That's hardly any ammunition at all. I wonder why they keep so little on hand?
                The 50round box kept at home is called "pocket ammuntion" in Switzerland.

The men are not supposed to fight opponents from their home, the 50 rounds are supposed to help to get to their mobilization point.

A box of 50 rounds, that 2.5 magazines (20 rounds are standard for Fass 90, the 30 rounds mags being used with the short Stgw07) that's enough to get the reservist from home to the nearest army post where there is plenty ammo at hand.

The Sig 55X are to date the best assault rifles money can buy. An early Fass 90 and a Sig 551 Swat with 16" barrel:

kelt
                Attached Files
                Last edited by kelt06; 19 Jun 10, 16:58. Reason: added picture

Comment

Originally posted by kelt06 View Post
                  The 50round box kept at home is called "pocket ammuntion" in Switzerland.

The men are not supposed to fight opponents from their home, the 50 rounds are supposed to help to get to their mobilization point.

A box of 50 rounds, that 2.5 magazines (20 rounds are standard for Fass 90, the 30 rounds mags being used with the short 552/553) that's enough to get the reservist from home to the nearest army post where there is plenty ammo at hand.

The Sig 55X are to date the best assault rifles money can buy. A fass 90 and a Sig 551 Swat with 16" barrel:

kelt
                  No offense to you, Kelt, but the "enough to get them to the nearest army post" thing doesn't make sense to me. If you need the weapon 50 rounds is likely to be gone in a matter of seconds, and if you're not going to feed it porperly why bother having it at all? It would not be difficult to issue them their basic load at least. I mean, it's not like Swiss military doesn't have the ammo. In for a penny in for a pound. They obviously percieve a need for the weapons, why short the troops what they need to use them?

Comment

The Swiss intend or rather intended to call their reservists ahead of an invasion, thus the need for ammuntion for the short trip from home to the nearest mobilisation center was nill, hence the limited delivery of 50 rounds for rifle and 24 for pistols.

kelt

Comment

I believe that they can have more than 50rds, they just can't dip below it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X