Yet another British MP caught with his fingers in the til

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another British MP caught with his fingers in the til

The minster in charge of Public money Chief Treasury Secretary David Laws has been exposed as having cheated the taxpayers out of £40,000, by claiming MP's expenses to rent homes owned by his male lover/partner which had been banned since 2006 under parliamentary rules. David Laws had extended the mortgage on his Somerset property to help his partner purchase the new property. After he had been exposed by the Daily Telegraph Mr Laws apologised and said he would immediately pay back the money.

I will make the following points;

1) It was only after he was exposed by the press did he admit he was wrong, never in the years before had his conscience bothered him.

2) Any ordinary person claiming housing benefit and not informing the authority that they were the landlord was their partner would face criminal charges and a jail sentence.

3) If Mr Laws thinks that it is all right just to pay back the money once caught, perhaps he as the minster in charge of reducing public spending should suggest we cut the prision numbers by allowing bank robbers to pay back the money they stole and then walk free.

4) Mr Laws used the diversionary tacitic of claiming that his motivation was to keep the relationship with the man private and not to reveal his own sexuality. Then why claim in the first place. Most people including myself could not care less if he is gay but we care very much about a MP cheating the Taxpayers out of public money.

5) He is a member of the Liberal Democrats who tried to place themselves on a higher moral plain as to the expense scandal, calling endlessly for 'new honest politics'.

6) If he has any honour (which of course he does not) he should resign not only as a minster but also as a MP.

7) If he has done as a public service it is show that the new Tory/Liberal Coalition is as rotten as the old Labour Government.
    War is less costly than servitude

Laws had appeared one of the better Lib Dems. Hopefully this won't force him to quite.
    Last edited by Surrey; 29 May 10, 16:13.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

He's quit.

Comment

I wonder why the Telegraph didn't reveal Law's expenses before the election......

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          I wonder why the Telegraph didn't reveal Law's expenses before the election......
          Either because they didnt know ahem ahem or knowing a hung parliament was on the cards not that stupid.

Comment

To be fair he has quit which isthe honourable thing to do. The other lot didnt do that sort of thing

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
              Well other than the fact that they didn't give them a hope of being in any position of power any time soon, they didn't fall under the same intense spotlight as the inncumbant (Labour) government MP's or the government in waiting (Conservative) as it was deemed, MP's.

The guys standing within the finacial arena was very good and certainly of a nature to give confidence to the markets and the wider financial world bodies. However he made a huge error of judgement 9intentional or not I don't know) and for that alone-and not his sexuality-he had to go.

Regards

Andy H
              "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                Well other than the fact that they didn't give them a hope of being in any position of power any time soon, they didn't fall under the same intense spotlight as the inncumbant (Labour) government MP's or the government in waiting (Conservative) as it was deemed, MP's.

The guys standing within the finacial arena was very good and certainly of a nature to give confidence to the markets and the wider financial world bodies. However he made a huge error of judgement 9intentional or not I don't know) and for that alone-and not his sexuality-he had to go.

Regards

Andy H
                On 'Conservative Home' they were calling for a boycott of the Telegraph after Law's expense claims were exposed.

Comment

why all the fuss? that is something,one could-better should-expect from a politician.On the other hand:all those indignant citizens,who,if they have the chance,are cheating with their taxes
                  Maybe,one should be more positive and change the thread :
                  Yet another(british,...) MP NOT caught with his fingers in the till.
                  Of course,it should be a very short one

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X