Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentina calls on Cameron to reopen Falklands talks

Here we again!

Argentine President Cristina Fernandez has urged new UK Prime Minister David Cameron to hold talks over the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands.

The two countries went to war in 1982 after Argentina invaded, with UK forces retaking the territory after a short but bloody conflict.

Mrs Fernandez made her call at the EU-Latin America summit in Madrid.

Foreign Office minister Jeremy Browne
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8689991.stm
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Talk about what? Don't they understand NO.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Talk about what? Don't they understand NO.
      John, it appears that the answer to that is no!
      Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Holy c--p, what don't the Argentinians understand about NO. The Spanish are pretty annoying regarding Gib but Argentina takes the cake so to say. Has the UK ever considered telling them to go f--k off in plain English?

Does the Royal Navy have to launch a few Tridents at Buenos Aires before they get the hint?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
          Does the Royal Navy have to launch a few Tridents at Buenos Aires before they get the hint?

I have seen one rather crazy Argentinian claim we did launch one at BA, and its a war crime etc etc etc.
          He also Believed that they bagged the Invincible.
          Winnie says
          ---------------------------------
          "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
          Herr Flick.

Comment

Economic times must be really bad in Argentina if their government is asking the UN to reopen talks that will go nowhere. At least it gives the Argentine public something to think about besides the unending recession they are experiencing, while giving them a common enemy to rally against.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

They're trying it out on a new government and coz oil is present ater all. We cant negotiate because there's nothing to negotiate.

Madame President Fenandez, on behalf of her Britannic majesty's sovereign government I have been asked to tell you in a full, polite diplomatic and understated manner to go and yourself!! Adios

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                Economic times must be really bad in Argentina if their government is asking the UN to reopen talks that will go nowhere. At least it gives the Argentine public something to think about besides the unending recession they are experiencing, while giving them a common enemy to rally against.
                Its not like they've tied that one before is it?

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                  Its not like they've tied that one before is it?
                  History goes in cycles. Lets see, what year am I describing?

Economic melt down in Argentina, so the Junta starts banging the nationalism drum over the Falkland islands.
                  The UK has a new Tory government, Has been making the necessary cuts to get us out of the mess Labour have landed us into. Subsequently there's very little money for defence that got royally shafted under the previous Labour government.
                  Winnie says
                  ---------------------------------
                  "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                  Herr Flick.

Comment

Shouldn't they be spending more time getting ready for the World Cup than this nonsense?

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                      Shouldn't they be spending more time getting ready for the World Cup than this nonsense?
                      Funny you say that. The Argentine Junta in the late 70's used their hosting of the World Cup and its team for exactly the same purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                        Ha! I hope that the Azzurri beat their sorry team into oblivion; I hate Maradona!

Comment

Originally posted by bass_man86 View Post
                          Ha! I hope that the Azzurri beat their sorry team into oblivion; I hate Maradona!
                          Well if he keeps playing Messi as a holding midfielder as I believe he did in qualifying then theres a good chance of it.

Comment

To be clear, I sympathize with Argentina on this. Nevertheless, Argentina would be smarter to simply let the issue go away until the Brits finally get tired of supporting the miniscule population that inhabit the Malvinas. Could be another century or so, but so what? Time is on their side, and nothing the Malvinas has is worth the life of a single 'granadero de San Martin'.

If geographical proximity were any criteria, Canada has a much stronger claim to St. Pierre and Miquelon, but you don't see them getting fired up about those miniscule bits of French territory.
                            dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                              To be clear, I sympathize with Argentina on this. Nevertheless, Argentina would be smarter to simply let the issue go away until the Brits finally get tired of supporting the miniscule population that inhabit the Malvinas.
                              I don't get you sometimes. Those people who live there are British on British territory. It doesn't matter whether by the changing tides of history they are far away or not. They were born and raised on British soil as British citizens and the government of the UK has an absolute responsibility to defend them, whether London likes it or not. Just as we have such obligations with places like Puerto Rico and Guam. Under your logic the US shouldn't have gotten all bent out of shape over the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. After all, it wasn't a US state at the time, just an overseas territory.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X