Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am not the sharpest tool in the box but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not the sharpest tool in the box but...

I have to ask a question.

We just had our pre election budget and as pointless an excersize as it was, one interesting thing came up that I could not quite grasp.

When all is said and done we have hard economic choices to make as a country, we all most of us understand this.

Now these choices were not made yesterday and I dont think any of us expected that Brown and co would have the balls to do it this side of an election, there will ofcourse be a new budget with all the horrors in it after the election.

Even so, certain things have been ring fenced by both the Conservatives and Labour as sacred ie will not be cut.

Most of these I can see the point, but the one that leaves me scratching my head is Foreign aid.

Why is Foreign aid not to be cut, trimmed or even touched?

Not even a mention of efficiency savings (the old chestnut they always cling to)

For instance (and my figures may be old here) why do we give india 800 million in aid, when they are spending very heavily on a space programme and building a navy we will soon envy?

Surely that could be cut some.
    And I am sure there are many other examples.

Am I missing the point?

DOC CALLING DOC, THE GRAPH MASTER WITHOUT CHALLENGE, NEED A GRAPH IF YOU ARE UP TO NO GOOD, WHO DO WE GIVE MONEY TO?
    Sealion would have failed..............runs,

From DFID's own website

Before we decide to give aid we look at the situation in a country. Is it under threat of war? Have other givers of aid bypassed it? Will it, like China or India, have a big impact on the world’s economy in the future? Ministers weigh these considerations before deciding how and where to provide support.

Comment

Do they consider how much they borrow back and pay interest on?

Im still playing Mr Thicky on this one.

Comment

To be honest in the overall scheme of our defecit/ debt problems, the foreign aid budget is a fart in a hurricane. Darling is just a politicking liar whose BSing the public in a time of great concern to get elected and save his job.

Comment

Originally posted by UGLYGUTS View Post
          Do they consider how much they borrow back and pay interest on?

Im still playing Mr Thicky on this one.
          No they dont. If they did they'd be ing it and get the debt down. Interest rates are low but not forever and then most of your tax will be payig for interst payments on things already bought and not on actual infrastrucure. You do realise your granchildren at the current rate of spending are already per head 20,000 pounds in debt. lovely

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
            No they dont. If they did they'd be ing it and get the debt down. Interest rates are low but not forever and then most of your tax will be payig for interst payments on things already bought and not on actual infrastrucure. You do realise your granchildren at the current rate of spending are already per head 20,000 pounds in debt. lovely
            Im as big a Dan fan as the next and on all points I cant argue,

I mean I know the aid fund is not big corn, I am just failing to see why it should get special treatment.

I will put it this way, when the cuts come, and they will, the military will get hit hard imho, now id rather our boys at the front didnt get neglected at the expense of other areas of business.

Comment

Ok who you giving 800 million in aid thats got a space program. India?

God I hope the US is not doing that. They got enough aid with all our call centers.

Comment

Originally posted by UGLYGUTS View Post
                I have to ask a question.

For instance (and my figures may be old here) why do we give india 800 million in aid, when they are spending very heavily on a space programme and building a navy we will soon envy?
                Again, from DFID's website, the total spend in India broken down in lovely graph form

The total is £297m, to put that in perspective Man Utd's debt is over £700m. The combined wage bill for all English Premier league clubs exceeds £1bn.

Comment

Great, we give India hundreds of milyons for 'health' whilst the NHS is busy recruiting their trained doctors

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                    Great, we give India hundreds of milyons for 'health' whilst the NHS is busy recruiting their trained doctors
                    You couldnt make it up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X