If I was Englisch/Britisch...Errr!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I was Englisch/Britisch...Errr!

Dan Tolhurst, communications manager at Arsenal, said, "Arsenal as a club prides itself on being inclusive with respect to all nationalities, cultural and ethnic groups. We have therefore decided that in order for all of our fans to enjoy their experience at Emirates Stadium, we are asking that only flags without any national emblems are displayed within the stadium."
    Shock and Horror: Londoners Will be Allowed to Fly the English Flag, Previously Banned Because Cross of St George Offended Muslims.....
    :

Comments

"The move follows a series of incidents in recent years in which people have been banned from displaying the English flag on the grounds that it is racist and could offend Muslims because of St George’s association with the Crusades."

What the helle ist wrong withe the Englisch governtment??? if I was Englisch I woulde be so mad,actually I am mad!

all of those Englisch soilders defending england from germany in both wars,did it for nothing!
    shame on the Britsch governtment in letting another race running youre own country.
    Lancashire garbage collector Matthew Carter, who was born in Barbados and is black, has been forbidden from wearing a St George's Cross bandana to hold back his dreadlocks because the symbol "could be considered offensive and racist."
    St George's Cross is the flag of England.
    How profoundly sick does a society have to be to ban its own flag? Moonbattery is truly the most hideous disease ever to afflict the human race — the moral and intellectual equivalent of leprosy.
    Now Carter wears a bandana imprinted with a skull and crossbones. Presumably this meets with the approval of politically correct bureauweenies.
    Att least the Black African people are proud to be englisch...His people were treated poorly from the Britisch and his very proud to be Britisich,hands claping for the African englisch.
    Muslims cant use this excuse,cause many nationaties were effect by the Britsch and yet they dont winge about St george flag,get over it and let england be england.

and yes I knowe this thread ist going to be banned cause it might just offend some Muslims members! and no others are allowed to speake out.

opps,this shoulde be in the Europe section,if it does not get banned?

PS,I m changing my flag to a StGeorge Flag,and I am so shocked thate its not banned here aswel!
    howe do I find a st george flag on here,or do I have to place my own up?
    Last edited by Heidi; 08 Mar 10, 08:26.

Banned? Nah, you have Americans mixed up with the EU. The first amendment to the US Constitution specifically states 'freedom of speech' so what you call ludercous in this thread I'm confident the vast majority of Americans do too.

In the US some look (mistakenly) as the Confederate "Stars & Bars" as being racist & a lot has been done to ban it being displayed upon public property. But there's still a whole bunch of 'good ol' boys' who have it on their pick up trucks, on their caps and flying on their flagpoles.

Yep, EU folks are tied down to PC language & boy, do I feel sorry for you.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Thread Moved to Europe Forum

ACG Staff
      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

If we're on it, does someone mind explaining to me why Portsmouth FC's flag is the star and the crescent?

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
          If we're on it, does someone mind explaining to me why Portsmouth FC's flag is the star and the crescent?
          King Richard I of England adopted the star and crescent as a royal badge, from the Emperor's standard of Governor Isaac Comnenus, after capturing Cyprus. Back in England, 'a crescent of gold on a shield of azure, with a blazing star of eight points, or rays of silver, between the horns', was granted to Portsmouth as the heraldic crest of the newly incorporated Royal borough.
          He also gave Portsmouth its first Royal Charter granting permission for the town to hold a fifteen day annual fair. As a crescent and an eight-point star (as appear on the city coat of arms) were to be found on both the seals of King Richard and William de Longchamps, it is commonly thought that this may have been the source of them, although there is no known documentary evidence for this. King Richard later went on to build a number of houses and a hall in Portsmouth.
          Last edited by Post Captain; 09 Mar 10, 14:28.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Post Captain View Post
            King Richard I of England adopted the star and crescent as a royal badge, from the Emperor's standard of Governor Isaac Comnenus, after capturing Cyprus. Back in England, 'a crescent of gold on a shield of azure, with a blazing star of eight points, or rays of silver, between the horns', was granted to Portsmouth as the heraldic crest of the newly incorporated Royal borough.
            He also gave Portsmouth its first Royal Charter granting permission for the city to hold a fifteen day annual fair As a crescent and an eight-point star (as appear on the city coat of arms) were to be found on both the seals of King Richard and William de Longchamps, it is commonly thought that this may have been the source of them, although there is no known documentary evidence for this. King Richard later went on to build a number of houses and a hall in Portsmouth.
            Thanks for clarifying.
            I was sure it had something to do with the raising Muslim population, I'm glad I was wrong.

Comment

Banned is it? In that case we really should send the police round to arrest The BBC, The Government (Actually...), Geri (can I use my furry handcuffs for that arrest?) and Leeds city council.

We could also arrest every chav idiot driving around with a car flag on too.

Where you might be getting confused is two issues.
              At various points in the past Our own pet nutjobs, the BNP and friends have used the Union jack and the Cross of St George as their flags. This leads to Politically Correct types getting twitchy about offending people. Then over reacting, and advising not to use those symbols. At which point the Daily Wail normally runs a story, and the PC type is told to stop being a pillock.

PS: It's English. Where one would use a "sch" in German we tend to use an "sh". The amount of times I made the same mistake in reverse...
              Last edited by Listy; 09 Mar 10, 22:30.
              Winnie says
              ---------------------------------
              "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
              Herr Flick.

Comment

ive got a little st. georges flag under my posting name, and hope it will stay there to, it is allright these people to say what they think, if it come to the nitty gritty most people in england would go mad if it was removed on ethnic grounds, i personally would

Comment

Originally posted by charlieboy View Post
                  ive got a little st. georges flag under my posting name, and hope it will stay there to, it is allright these people to say what they think, if it come to the nitty gritty most people in england would go mad if it was removed on ethnic grounds, i personally would
                  Your little St Georges Cross makes me feel opressed and marginalised. I'm off to complain to the mods forthwith!

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                    Where you might be getting confused is two issues.
                    At various points in the past Our own pet nutjobs, the BNP and friends have used the Union jack and the Cross of St George as their flags. This leads to Politically Correct types getting twitchy about offending people. Then over reacting, and advising not to use those symbols. At which point the Daily Wail normally runs a story, and the PC type is told to stop being a pillock.
                    Its interesting that I can't think of a single other national symbol, currently used officially by a country, that causes its own owners to get so edgy.

The only thing that I can think of is that, uniquely, the English for centuries had two flags, the Union Flag and the Cross of St George. You can argue all you like that the Union Flag is a symbol of Great Britain but you ask anyone outside these sceptred Isles "whos flag is this" and they'll say Englands. The Union Flag has always been the acceptable face of English nationalism, the Cross of St George, however, for years was the symbol of the ugly side of nationalism, petty, small minded, violent, xenophobic. What is encouraging is that with the evolution of the constitutional situation within the UK and the devolution of powers to new political bodies in Scotland, Wales and NI (assuming they don't chuck it all down the toilet) the Cross of St George is being taken back as a legitimate symbol of national pride by folk across England. It just takes a while to remove the taint that was left on it and some folk still get twitchy when they see it and what it used to represent.

By the way, as far as I'm aware the Englisch government doesn't exist (proving my point above nicely ), never mind own a controlling share in Arsenal Football Club.

Comment

If I were English, I'd shoot myself.

If they want to fly the St George's cross, I see no reason why they can't, just as I'd defend the St Andrew's cross with my last breath.
                      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                        You can argue all you like that the Union Flag is a symbol of Great Britain but you ask anyone outside these sceptred Isles "whos flag is this" and they'll say Englands..
                        Since when has their opinion mattered

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                          Since when has their opinion mattered
                          touche!

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                            British rulers have apparently been on-and-off Muslims since King Offa converted back around 750.

Of course, That's just what conspiracy theorists tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
                              British rulers have apparently been on-and-off Muslims since King Offa converted back around 750.

Of course, That's just what conspiracy theorists tell me.
                              The much vaunted English legal system was probably based on a modified version of Sharia imported by the Normans.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X