Captain John Hemingway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain John Hemingway

Irishman Captain John Hemingway, the last surviving member of "The Few" who fought in the Battle of Britain is 101 and living in Dublin.
    He was shot down 4 times during the Second World War and retired from the RAF in 1969. He is such a modest man that the Battle of Britain Association were not aware that he was alive until 2018 when his family contacted them.
    There's an interview with him in today's Irish Independent but it's behind a paywall.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
    Irishman Captain John Hemingway, the last surviving member of "The Few" who fought in the Battle of Britain is 101 and living in Dublin.
    He was shot down 4 times during the Second World War and retired from the RAF in 1969. He is such a modest man that the Battle of Britain Association were not aware that he was alive until 2018 when his family contacted them.
    There's an interview with him in today's Irish Independent but it's behind a paywall.
    Group Captain John Hemingway. Which is equivalent to a colonel. He would have never been a captain as he was in the RAF...
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Group Captain John Hemingway. Which is equivalent to a colonel. He would have never been a captain as he was in the RAF...
      Yes, I'm aware of that. He was promoted to Group captain shortly before he retired. I presume that was to give him the bigger pension.
      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Yes, I'm aware of that. He was promoted to Group captain shortly before he retired. I presume that was to give him the bigger pension.
        Reward for valiant and faithful service, more likely.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X