Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
    "They don't like us anyway".

Grow up. It's pretty rare for hundreds of millions of people to think all alike, be they "Europeans" or citizens of the USA.

Oh, the UK is a European country by the way.
    Not according to the UK'ers.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

We like the US plenty - it's your representatives, self-declared or otherwise that are full of it
      Representatives are exactly that - representation of the people.

The good thing is that burger restaurants near Mons can get the jackpot with US troops moving there.
      There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

You don't like the idea of a Republic but humanism forces you to qualify your dislike by saying you love people everywhere. A country is not just a random collection of people it's the ideals that it represents.
        You're thinking like an American. Most European borders were drawn up by princes with an eye on their own gain, and their own convenience. Take Belgium, for example. Belgium is home to two ethnic groups who don't particularly like each other, and if their more powerful neighbors hadn't forced them into union, then there's no reason to believe that they would have chosen political union themselves. Like an old sucky marriage, they stay together for the sake of tradition, and inertia.

And as for an American ideal, in this era it's notional only. Nowadays Americans' view of American ideals extend no further than their perceived self-interest, as opposed to their actual self-interest, as evidenced by their tendency to gather in groups of 700 for purposes of drinking, dancing, and fornicating. In short, your Average America has no more notion of his self-interest than does a feral dog.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

You're thinking like an American. Most European borders were drawn up by princes with an eye on their own gain, and their own convenience. Take Belgium, for example. Belgium is home to two ethnic groups who don't particularly like each other, and if their more powerful neighbors hadn't forced them into union, then there's no reason to believe that they would have chosen political union themselves. Like an old sucky marriage, they stay together for the sake of tradition, and inertia.

And as for an American ideal, in this era it's notional only. Nowadays Americans' view of American ideals extend no further than their perceived self-interest, as opposed to their actual self-interest, as evidenced by their tendency to gather in groups of 700 for purposes of drinking, dancing, and fornicating. In short, your Average America has no more notion of his self-interest than does a feral dog.
          We are not talking about the populace, that was the point. I'm objecting to the idea that the people are basicly good but the politicians are bad. There are multiple strains of philosophy that has perpetuated this myth, Christianity, Marxism, and Humanism to name three. I'm going with humanism as being the the stronger influence on our continental friends. I'm of the opinion that the U.S.philosophy we will call pragmatism corrected some of the short comings of the enlightenment. The fact that most Americans would have no idea what I'm talking about is irrelevant.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

I can't speak for all the Europeans but the Germans in general like Americans and America. Like me they detest Trump.

For laughs check how many Americans have a German heritage. Some thing like 50 million, more than any other European country.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Did you made a poll asking about their opinions on Trump ?
              There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                I can't speak for all the Europeans but the Germans in general like Americans and America. Like me they detest Trump.

For laughs check how many Americans have a German heritage. Some thing like 50 million, more than any other European country.
                No they don't because like you they don't know what "America" is. What they like is the idea of liking America. As to liking Americans well I like pink bunny rabbits.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Didn't Donald Trump's ancestors hail from Germany?

Rimshot

Comment

Didn't Donald Trump's ancestors hail from Germany?

Rimshot
                    Yes they did, but I don't see what that has to do with anything Nowadays, the thing is that Trump has a bug up hiss A$$ with anything Liberal, and Germany is very liberal nowadays, and that's all there is to that!
                    And Trump can't stand Angela Merkel!
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

Yes they did, but I don't see what that has to do with anything Nowadays, the thing is that Trump has a bug up hiss A$$ with anything Liberal, and Germany is very liberal nowadays, and that's all there is to that!
                      Liberal, conservative: which one is Trump again?

Trump has no political views. All Trump is interested in is Trump. That's all Trump has ever been interested in. Politics -- as an intellectual exercise -- holds no charms for Trump, 'cause Trump can't dominate that limelight. Just think what a real conservative, like a PJ O'Rourke, would do to Trump. Apart from invective, what would Trump have to offer?

The issue here isn't that Trump is a poor choice for high office. The issue here is that there are significant numbers of people who think Trump worthy of their endorsement. Now just let that sink in for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                        We are not talking about the populace, that was the point. I'm objecting to the idea that the people are basicly good but the politicians are bad.
                        That's a bit of a stretch, my post there should be taken much more literally,

your representatives, that is individuals that are mandated to speak for the US, or others that have taken it upon themselves, and like to speak for 'America' on the internet, are more often than not, 'full of it'.

Meaning, the things they write and say, make little sense, and seem to have limited or no ground in reality, specifically when dealing with US foreign policy.

I don't know how to express that thought more clearly, yet it still seems to be misunderstood,

your country is not served well by its representatives.

Nothing at all to do with humanism.
                        Last edited by Snowygerry; 01 Aug 20, 02:12.
                        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

And for the money of course - before all 'marriage' is an economic union, not a romantic one.

That being said - you are probably correct, without outside pressure Belgium will dissolve to what it was before, a bunch of competing city states, our 'natural' state of being.

But geography here pretty much ensures outside pressure - so it may be a while
                          Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

Liberal, not more than usual. Merel is from a little bit right of center while the SPD, very liberal hasn't been in power since Merkel. However the Green's have gained power and they're liberal with some of their politics reaching the point of nonsense.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

A dozen pointlessly off-topic and personal posts removed. This thread does not concern individual member's service in the military or lack thereof - ACG staff

Comment

Liberal, conservative: which one is Trump again?
                                That depends on what day it is.
                                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X