Troop Movements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Check where it was in 65, just outside to the west of Paris as was HQs Eucom. Been there done that.
    Yes, it was called SHAPE!

Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Check where it was in 65, just outside to the west of Paris as was HQs Eucom. Been there done that. I moved from France to Germany with Hqs Eucom
      The Big HQ was in Metz east of Paris in the Alsace area when the RCAF moved from Marville to Lahr Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
        Belgians. I live in Belgium.
        Why? Is Belgium the only country that was willing to take you in?

Rimshot

Check where it was in 65, just outside to the west of Paris as was HQs Eucom. Been there done that. I moved from France to Germany with Hqs Eucom
        So it was a downgrade for art and hookers but a boost in the beer department, eh.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Why? Is Belgium the only country that was willing to take you in?

Rimshot
          It's the best place for me.
          There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

It's the best place for me.
            Lots of padding on the walls?

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post

The Big HQ was in Metz east of Paris in the Alsace area when the RCAF moved from Marville to Lahr Germany
              Not NATO nor Eucom. I delivered supplies to both places.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Lots of padding on the walls?

50% vote red. Much better than in Belarus.
                There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

50% vote red. Much better than in Belarus.
                  Excessive doses of benzos will do that to you. Rimshot

Comment

As a student (a rather old one) of Napoleonic Military history, I rarely venture beyond 1815, but I will give a view on this interesting thread.

I never could see the reason for US troops in various European countries so long after WW11 apart from the age old scarry story 'you might / will need us some day'. Looking at European history post 1945, how many times have US troops been deployed in mainland Europe in active hostilities? I believe the answer is zero. Granted we will never know what went on behind the scenes. Nonetheless, the cost of keeping US troops in Europe must be massive.

Having said that the British came here to Ireland in the 12th Cent with the Anglo-Norman invasion and never left! That was 800 years ago.

Comment

IF/When the Americans would have to fight the Russians the main idea was to fight on European turf rather that having to battle them on Pennsylvania Ave.........Remember there has never been a war on North America soil other than the fracas called the Civil War (North against South ) or the other spat called The War of Indipendance ...

All those battles took place in the Eastern portion of the US verses European wars that covered most of the land mass and occured every 40/50 years.....North America has had it easy...

North of YYZ

Last edited by Bow; 10 Aug 20, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Ney View Post
                        [...]
                        I never could see the reason for US troops in various European countries so long after WW11 apart from the age old scarry story 'you might / will need us some day'. Looking at European history post 1945, how many times have US troops been deployed in mainland Europe in active hostilities ? I believe the answer is zero.
                        Yugoslavia - they came in handy there....

And of course their function is not really to participate in active hostilities they are meant to prevent or end 'active hostilities' where they happen.
                        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

There was a little brouhaha during the War of 1812. Washington was invaded and occupied. Pakenham tried to invade New Orleans with the same troops.

Pruitt
                          Last edited by Pruitt; 10 Aug 20, 22:14.
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Ney View Post

I never could see the reason for US troops in various European countries so long after WW11 apart from the age old scarry story 'you might / will need us some day'. Looking at European history post 1945, how many times have US troops been deployed in mainland Europe in active hostilities?
                            Well, consider that the US military were actively engaged in the following:

Support to the Greek fight against the Communists (1946-1949)
                            Imposing peace in Bosnia (Dec 1995, with a few troops still present today.)
                            Kosovo air campaign and peacekeeping in Kosovo (1999 with some troops still present today.)

American bases in Europe were used as staging points for US and Allied military operations in the Middle East and Africa.

BUT most importantly, the US troops based in Europe helped NATO stare down any Soviet and Warsaw Pact invasion of Western Europe. And the fact that they never had to fire a shot is a good demonstration on how effective they were facing a real threat.

Last edited by Capt AFB; 11 Aug 20, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              There was a little brouhaha during the War of 1812. Washington was invaded and occupied. Pakenham tried to invade New Orleans with the same troops.

Pruitt
                              That was only a afternoon spat and upset the real estate market and caused some house repair with painting required

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post

That was only a afternoon spat and upset the real estate market and caused some house repair with painting required
                                The town folks living across the border from each other had good commercial, family and, in some cases, love relationships going on. Although not a real surprise when you think about it, they really got upset at the troops showing up in their town, preparing to conduct/counter an invasion across the border. Some of the local newspapers and personal diaries can still be found in some of the libraries in these border towns and provides an insight on the existing feelings at the time - In a few words, they wrote: King/President and Country be gone! You are really upsetting our day to day peaceful lives...And for what?

As for an afternoon spat...It seems that it inspired the composition of a Top 10 Hit song at the time...Something to do with stars spangled over a banner of some sort. I understand that it is still quite a popular song today that you may hear at important events and sport games
                                Last edited by Capt AFB; 12 Aug 20, 08:03. Reason: Grammar and clarity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X