X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troop Movements

US outlines plans to withdraw or relocate troops in Germany

https://www.dw.com/en/top-stories/s-9097

Moving the EuCom HQ to Mons was considered once back in the 60s when it moved fom France to Germany. Mons was and is also the NATO HQs all the eggs in one basket Vlad.

Both Patch Barracks and Panzer have had security upgrades, infrastructure upgrades worth many million over just the last few years. New multi million high school, communication systems and support facilities all would need to be built new in Moms.

I don't see the need to move. It's not a combat unit and can continue to operate from it's present location without additional cost.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Apparently Trump wants to punish Angela Merkel. And he actually believes that NATO operates militarily on a 'paying dues' basis.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      Apparently Trump wants to punish Angela Merkel. And he actually believes that NATO operates militarily on a 'paying dues' basis.
      I agree with you on that one, but it's not about paying dues, Trump can't stand Merkel, and the rest of Europe can't stand Trump, but as I recall Obama said the same thing ( and the Europeans loved Obama) about the Europeans not paying their fair share (I forgot what name he called them), but pulling troops out of Germany where they have established infrastructure moving them to a different country and starting over, seems pretty Idiotic to me.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
        I agree with you on that one, but it's not about paying dues, Trump can't stand Merkel, and the rest of Europe can't stand Trump, but as I recall Obama said the same thing ( and the Europeans loved Obama) about the Europeans not paying their fair share (I forgot what name he called them), but pulling troops out of Germany where they have established infrastructure moving them to a different country and starting over, seems pretty Idiotic to me.
        Quite.

Something wrong with the link in OP btw. it links to a generic news page, not a detailed plan of US troop movements.

Under Obama US contribution to NATO operations vs. 'the rest' almost reached parity, but that was because US military expenditure was was reduced while the rest slowly increased it.

Under Trump you started outspending us again, so the 'gap' has grown in recent years.
        Last edited by Snowygerry; Today, 04:15.
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

As i stated somewhere else, personally i dont mind US troops moving out of germany. From the US perspective i also think this move is thought to hurt Merkel. Pretty stupid and costly for a personal issue. Also not very impressive or effective.

Comment

Why don't move it somewhere else than Belgium for once ? We don't need this here.
            There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
              Why don't move it somewhere else than Belgium for once ? We don't need this here.
              It's the most important piece of military real estate in Europe, it's where HQs have always been since JC,

where else would you go

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                We? Aren't you from Russia originally?
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  US outlines plans to withdraw or relocate troops in Germany

https://www.dw.com/en/top-stories/s-9097

Moving the EuCom HQ to Mons was considered once back in the 60s when it moved fom France to Germany. Mons was and is also the NATO HQs all the eggs in one basket Vlad.

Both Patch Barracks and Panzer have had security upgrades, infrastructure upgrades worth many million over just the last few years. New multi million high school, communication systems and support facilities all would need to be built new in Moms.

I don't see the need to move. It's not a combat unit and can continue to operate from it's present location without additional cost.
                  When did NATO move it's headquarters out of Belgium?

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization is headquartered in a complex in Haren, part of the City of Brussels municipality of Belgium.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

You guys are funny - don't know the location of their own HQ.

For the moment it's just an announcement, like most of Trump's 'decisions'.

We assume it will be the same location where SACEUR is [Bergen/Mons], but who knows, may be Waterloo or Bastogne

'Haren' [Evere] is just a parish of the city of Brussels, that's where the administrative seat of NATO already is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haren,_Belgium
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; Yesterday, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

We? Aren't you from Russia originally?
                      Belgians. I live in Belgium.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

It's the most important piece of military real estate in Europe, it's where HQs have always been since JC,

where else would you go
                        There are plenty of places to go. Not in Mons where half of people voted for left-wing parties.

Comment

It's the site of a roman military camp, medieval fortifications, countless battles, the 80 year war, the wars against the French, and later the Germans of course,

The perfect place to teach the colonials a bit of military history, and several useful languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casteau

1280px-Casteau_JPG02.jpg
                          Last edited by Snowygerry; Yesterday, 12:50.

Comment

Ah, waloon territory, arent these the guys in need of some cash? I am happy to share a piece of the american pie with my culture averse french brothers and sisters in Belgien...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

When did NATO move it's headquarters out of Belgium?
                              Check where it was in 65, just outside to the west of Paris as was HQs Eucom. Been there done that. I moved from France to Germany with Hqs Eucom
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X