Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COVID 19 gives planet a much deserved break!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
    Married women working and divorce should be forbidden by law.
    Independent women earning their own money with the same rights as men destroyed society.
    Of rubbish!

I don't know if you're being provocative just for shock value ?or if you really believe what you've written.
    How on earth has "Independent women earning their own money with the same rights as men destroyed society" ??

Society has just changed in a way you obviously don't like.

“One must cross the threshold of greatness. Then and only then can one comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.”

Regards
    lodestar

Comment

maybe the gov't will collapse and you will not be able to collect any more pensions
      Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
      Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
      Barbarossa Derailed I & II
      Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Independent women earning their own money with the same rights as men destroyed society.
        But what if I want to sit on the couch while the woman works? What if I want to boot out said workhorse and shack up to younger tottie? And I’m not going to do that if she’s a dole bludging slapper.

I don’t think you’ve thought that through
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

In the country where I live it’s been far from quiet, had heaps of people come down from the city and check out the beaches and whatever shops were open. Not many here are taking social distancing seriously, so the infection rate is guaranteed to get much worse here soon.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

I presume that's meant to be a joke.
            The only people who fear independent strong women are weak inadequate men.
            "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
            validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

It is a sarcastic reference to some here who actually believe that the fifties were a lot better because mum had to give up their jobs the moment they got married, and people would not divorce to save face, to avoid embarrasment and to avoid being vomitted out by their kin and aacqaintances.

The sarcasm emoticon was intentionally left out.
              "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                Quite true. The current crisis and its origins and such are sadly poetic, as was the moniker some gave CV....'boomer remover'. The world that the baby boomers built is this world that we're in, and the things that are transpiring now can be directly traced to decisions made from about the time where the baby boomers took the reins and started running this party. The Greatest Generation was always a step away from turning China into glass.....the boomers were the ones that snuggled up to China in an effort to maximize their profits or desires for cheap trinkets and luxuries.

My generation cannot even officially be considered to be 'running' anything, as we've just crossed the threshold into the ability to even be President. Of course we've got enough nitwits that I think we'll somehow manage to do an even WORSE job, but that's not germane at the moment. For the moment, we're all stuck in the world that our parents and maybe in a case or two grandparents made for us.....and it blows.
                Oh hogwash!

The 'Greatest Generation' was largely a creation of the conservative mass media post - 'Saving Private Ryan' following the huge popularity of the film and the men depicted in it being lauded.
                See my thread starter :'Does SPR & Internet discussion improve or corrupt our understanding of WWII history?' for a fuller analysis of this phenomenon.

I certainly don't remember the term being widely bandied about prior to the mid nineties?
                I know (or now, with the passing of time, knew) many aging members of that generation who found the term cringe -worthy when it came into vogue. They certainly didn't think of themselves that way.
                And before anybody starts - I do honour them (all allied service personnel) without exception.

Nixon was not a boomer and the current relationship with China originates with his policy and it's development post-1972.

The 'Modern World, - Benefits and warts and all deficits took generations to create, probably originating in 'let 'er rip' and lets 'rip the guts' out the planet colonialism that began with the conquistadors.

Get some perspective (code for see things my way) for Pete's Sake.

Regards
                lodestar

Comment

The Naivety of our intellectual class is on full display here. Perhaps it's just the narcissism of spoiled children who rebel because they don't get the attention they want. Having become emotionally dependent on false narratives of their own importance they have no rational perspective. They treat there civilization the way every spoiled child treats their parents. Having been rendered insignificant by the enormity of their inheritance they strike out blindly.

What kind of a warped mind does it take to not see that Barack Obama was a lost child abandoned by his father. Who in desperation for comfort for that pain latched on to colonization as the cause of the moral deficit in his father. Just as there is nothing unique in being abandoned by a man of poor character there is nothing uniquely European about the explorations of weaker neighbors. These things are universal failures of humans everywhere and in every time.
                  We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                    God I’m loving this!
                    Naw seriously……. it really is what the planet needs
                    A long overdue and much needed break from the mad, seemingly unstoppable spiral and toboggan ride of development, growth and ‘the economy’ at all costs foisted upon us all since the late seventies.
                    It will be interesting to see what the lasting effects will be. We were due for a market correction anyways. Perhaps that correction was showing signs before the virus, or perhaps the virus has accelerated the correction. Either way, many people will be hit hard. Will it create any long-term changes? Only history will show. It'd be nice to flatten the extreme ups and downs of the market, to a more steady level. Maybe the situation we have will force many to slow down in various ways. I can see a lot more people working from home, video conferencing, etc.

I am enjoying the lack of traffic these days though, even if my commute to work was against the grain of traffic anyways. And it's given me a greater appreciation for certain things, like eggs and toilet paper. These days, I appreciate every square that graces my arse

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                      The Naivety of our intellectual class is on full display here. Perhaps it's just the narcissism of spoiled children who rebel because they don't get the attention they want. Having become emotionally dependent on false narratives of their own importance they have no rational perspective. They treat there civilization the way every spoiled child treats their parents. Having been rendered insignificant by the enormity of their inheritance they strike out blindly.

What kind of a warped mind does it take to not see that Barack Obama was a lost child abandoned by his father. Who in desperation for comfort for that pain latched on to colonization as the cause of the moral deficit in his father. Just as there is nothing unique in being abandoned by a man of poor character there is nothing uniquely European about the explorations of weaker neighbors. These things are universal failures of humans everywhere and in every time.
                      Brilliant as always wolhnd! You do some of the best 'tongue-in cheek' stuff I've read in a long-time.
                      Oh wait, what if it's not tongue-in cheek'?

What if you really believe what you write?
                      Oh boy, you sure know how to discombobulate this nave, narcissistic, spoiled rebel boomer who didn't get the attention he wanted.

But come on mate, what kind of 'warped mind' somehow connects colonialism with the moral deficient of Obama's father?

I agree that of course there is "nothing uniquely European about the explorations (I think you mean 'exploitations') of weaker neighbors".
                      It's just that European colonization, ideas and driving forces (eg: mercantilism, industrialization, banking frameworks, transport networks and military developments) essentially created the modern world. Any other contenders?

This occurred decades before the arrival of 'Boomers' you so loathe.
                      Can you elaborate some more?

BTW, I found your post on ‘consanguinity’ fascinating.
                      I created a thread on the WWII sub-forum entitled 'The effect of Anglo-German ‘consanguinity’ on Hitler’s decision making"

I was hoping you'd be able to provide some input when you have the chance?

Keep posting, for a die-hard libertarian you're remarkably cogent, divine and sentient lodestar remains interested.

Regards
                      lodestar

Comment

It is a sarcastic reference to some here who actually believe that the fifties were a lot better because mum had to give up their jobs the moment they got married, and people would not divorce to save face, to avoid embarrasment and to avoid being vomitted out by their kin and aacqaintances.

The sarcasm emoticon was intentionally left out.
                        I must admit that I hadn’t detected such an attitude in this forum. Can you cite some examples?
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I agree that of course there is "nothing uniquely European about the explorations (I think you mean 'exploitations') of weaker neighbors".
                          It's just that European colonization, ideas and driving forces (eg: mercantilism, industrialization, banking frameworks, transport networks and military developments) essentially created the modern world. Any other contenders?

This occurred decades before the arrival of 'Boomers' you so loathe.
                          Can you elaborate some more?
                          Are there any contenders for a more desirable alternative? That is the kind of naivety I was referring to. From the ivory tower it's easy to imagine a better world but down on the ground there is a lot of dirty work to do.
                          We hunt the hunters

Comment

As usual we are seeing how sophomoric academics can be. This talk about the planet's guts being ripped out is just the perspective of people who have never had to face reality because there society has always taken care of them like children. When you say you don't care about the economy and want a simpler life, well when that economy stops all the people living a simpler life will be eating the squirrels, burning the trees, and killing each other as people had always done before the industrial revolution. The data simply does not support their grim assessment of the impact of modern economies.
                            We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                              As usual we are seeing how sophomoric academics can be. This talk about the planet's guts being ripped out is just the perspective of people who have never had to face reality because there society has always taken care of them like children. When you say you don't care about the economy and want a simpler life, well when that economy stops all the people living a simpler life will be eating the squirrels, burning the trees, and killing each other as people had always done before the industrial revolution. The data simply does not support their grim assessment of the impact of modern economies.
                              Okay, so using your template and seeing this thread is about Covid 19 should 'society' not bother to care for the infected and do nothing? It is the ultimate freedom after all. That is a basic principle of Right-Libertarianism is not?

Your we'll be 'eating the squirrels and the burning trees' future scenario is an absurd exaggeration designed to deflect from my basic assertion that 'let her rip' development and growth needs to be rethought.

Earlier generations killed squirrels, deer, elephants, kangaroos, buffaloes, birdlife, tigers, all manner of wildlife and loved doing it.
                              And when it comes to what they did to the trees, don't get me started!!
                              They did it unchecked and without a second though for centuries, which of course was the problem.

Some major underpinning of the market driven economic system have vaporized in a fortnight. "We are all Keynesians now" as one Australian commentator said a few days ago.

Trying selling Reagan's old dictum: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help' ". in the current state of affairs.

Do you want the government to get out of Covid 19's way?

Better consign your copies of Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' to the dustbin of history pal.

Always good to talk.
                              Regards
                              lodestar

Comment

Okay, so using your template and seeing this thread is about Covid 19 should 'society' not bother to care for the infected and do nothing? It is the ultimate freedom after all. That is a basic principle of Right-Libertarianism is not?

Your we'll be 'eating the squirrels and the burning trees' future scenario is an absurd exaggeration designed to deflect from my basic assertion that 'let her rip' development and growth needs to be rethought.

Earlier generations killed squirrels, deer, elephants, kangaroos, buffaloes, birdlife, tigers, all manner of wildlife and loved doing it.
                                And when it comes to what they did to the trees, don't get me started!!
                                They did it unchecked and without a second though for centuries, which of course was the problem.

Some major underpinning of the market driven economic system have vaporized in a fortnight. "We are all Keynesians now" as one Australian commentator said a few days ago.

Trying selling Reagan's old dictum: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help' ". in the current state of affairs.

Do you want the government to get out of Covid 19's way?

Better consign your copies of Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' to the dustbin of history pal.

Always good to talk.
                                Regards
                                lodestar

I'm simply tired of your gross oversimplifications.

Here is the reality you can't process. The U.S. had 34 ventilators per 100,000 while Britain had 6. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Your religion of environmentalism, multiculturalism, Marxism lite, etc. will prove as destructive over the long run as the good intentions of 19th century missionaries.

It was your ideology that inspired your fellow "liberals" in the U.S. to be busy distracting the President from acting to stop the virus spreading by a "hoax" impeachment. Calling him xenophobic for imposing travel bans. As it turns out singing kumbaya is not an effective prophylactic against viruses.

BTW I'm not a fan of Ayn Rand. By personality type I'm an authoritarian but I like to think I have the humility and common sense to resist it.

​​​​​
                                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X