U.K. General Election on 12th December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    If the EU wishes to boycott British goods that is of course their choice and their loss.
    No one said anything of boycotting. It is just that without regulatory alignment there simply is no realistic chance of having the necessary market access - you can not have your cake and eat it. In other words the same rules which apply to other countries outside the EU - didn't the UK explicitly want to leave the EU?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      I do love how the EU always considers itself to be a sovereign power. Nice to know that I don't have to care whether someone from the continent is Dutch, French, German, etc....they're all just wards of the EU.

An unaccountable bureaucracy that wraps itself in trappings of democracy to thin they're utterly transparent.....the Fourth Reich is nothing if not evil.
      You're talking about the EU Common Market. Yes, it is a thing. It's THE THING the UK after all still wants into somehow.

Just a bit unclear if you realize that is what you're talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
        Not wards of the EU. The EU is just what the member states want it to be. Nothing more, nothing less. And due to the EU structure it is the member states which decide what the EU does, not the vice versa.
        The European parliament just rubber stamps the European commission. And they've forced repeatedly for countries to vote on their rules until the country in question ratifies it. So no, the EU has nothing in common with democracy. It is an unelected bureaucracy and oligarchy.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
          You're talking about the EU Common Market. Yes, it is a thing. It's THE THING the UK after all still wants into somehow.

Just a bit unclear if you realize that is what you're talking about?
          Very aware. I just see things for what they are and not what my EU would be masters desire them to be. The common market only exists because people trading with it acquiesce. If they didn't, the common market would die as it would have no teeth.

It is Napoleon's continental system. Literally.

Comment

• These are the results of Labour in the general elections since the war (% of popular votes )
            1945 : 47,7
            1950 :46,1
            1951:48,8
            1955 :46,4
            1959 :43,8
            1964 : 44,1
            1966 :48
            1970 :43,1
            1974 ( february ) :37,2
            1974 ( October ) :39,2
            1979 :36,9
            1983 :27,6
            1987 ;30,8
            1992 :34,4
            1997 :43,2
            2001 :40,7
            2005 :35,2
            2010 :29
            2015 :30,4
            2017 :39,9
            2019 : 32,2
            There are two eye-catching results
            1983 : loss of 9.3 % ,with a Marxist leader ( Michael Foot )
            2019 : loss of 7,79 % ,with a Marxist leader (Jeremy Corbyn )
            This proves that Britain refuses to become an other Venezuela,or Californistan .
            It proves also that the mass import of non Europeans ,with as aim to change the composition of British electorate, has not helped Labour .

Comment

• Originally posted by marktwain View Post
              Longshanks has returned form the dead, has he?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-anti-semitic/

"To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                No one said anything of boycotting. It is just that without regulatory alignment there simply is no realistic chance of having the necessary market access - you can not have your cake and eat it. In other words the same rules which apply to other countries outside the EU - didn't the UK explicitly want to leave the EU?
                Numerous countries export to the EU without being part of the single market.

Comment

Here's how Canada does it:

https://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/....aspx?lang=eng

We negotiated with the EU to reach CETA (The Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement) so I imagine the UK will have to do the same with the EU for similar access.

Brexit also means Canadian companies will reassess their approach to the UK

1.3.3 Brexit and Canada

On March 29, 2017, the United Kingdom gave formal notice of its intention to leave the EU. Negotiations of a withdrawal agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU are currently on-going. At this time, it is expected that the UK will cease to be a member of the EU on March 30, 2019; however, if a post-Brexit transition period is agreed, the UK would continue to follow EU law until the end of December 2020. Future legislation of the United Kingdom will likely be heavily influenced by the nature of any trade agreement the United Kingdom and the EU may reach. The European Commission maintains an updated website with recent developments on the preparations for and negotiations of the Brexit.

Currently, and for the full period that precedes the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the EU, Canada’s access to the United Kingdom market remains covered under CETA. Canada’s market access to the United Kingdom following the implementation of Brexit in both trade and services, as well as the modalities of Canada-UK trade have, as of the date of this Guide, yet to be determined. It is therefore difficult to assess at this point any potential economic impact Brexit could have on Canada or the EU, as it will largely depend on the nature of new post-Brexit EU-United Kingdom relationship.

The United Kingdom is an important market for Canada as it represents Canada’s fourth largest merchandise export destination (after the United States, the EU-27 and China). In 2016, Canada’s exports to the United Kingdom totalled $ 17.1 billion, 3.3% of Canada’s total exports. Canadian purchases of British goods totalled $8.3 billion, or 1.5% of total imports. Canadian exports to the United Kingdom are dominated by minerals and metals. In 2015, mining (i.e, gold and silver ore) accounted for 60.6% of total Canadian exports to the United Kingdom, while primary metals follow at 11.6%. Transportation equipment exports (mostly aerospace products and their parts) rank third at 4.2%.

In the same year, Canadian direct investment in the United Kingdom reached almost $93 billion. Until now, several factors have contributed to make the United Kingdom an ideal point of entry for Canadians to the EU, including its favorable business environment, its status as a major financial hub, as well as its membership in the EU and deep integration into EU value chains. With Brexit, a number of companies that were using the United Kingdom as a distribution hub for their products and services in the EU may have to reassess their strategy
                  Some of the companies I have consulted/worked with have been reaching out in the last two weeks to discuss moving operations from the UK to the Continent. There are worries that the uncertainty of the trade relationship between the UK and the EU means it is better to base in the larger market (where they have some contacts already) than the smaller market (which may see increased duties in accessing the larger market). Hopefully this will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Comment

Very aware. I just see things for what they are and not what my EU would be masters desire them to be. The common market only exists because people trading with it acquiesce. If they didn't, the common market would die as it would have no teeth.

It is Napoleon's continental system. Literally.
                    Why don't you claim it's the Third Reich 2.0 when you're at it? As claims go it's as accurate.

Comment

The European parliament just rubber stamps the European commission. And they've forced repeatedly for countries to vote on their rules until the country in question ratifies it. So no, the EU has nothing in common with democracy. It is an unelected bureaucracy and oligarchy.
                      Except that is not how the EU works. The member states set out the goals for the EU as a whole. The Commission's primary task is to try to fulfill this goals set by the member states. The Commission answers to the Parliament - in other words the EU parliament has the power to kick the EU Commission out if they so choose to do - so contrary to what you state the EU Commission can not walk over the EU Parliament. Alongside the EU Parliament are also the EU member states themselves who are also in the process. So both the member states and the parliament have their say. Additionally should the changes actually affect that balance in any way or would in any way shift power from the member states to the EU then every single of the EU member states has a veto.

So what you are posting is a rather clear admission that you do not have any idea how the EU works.
                      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                        Why don't you claim it's the Third Reich 2.0 when you're at it? As claims go it's as accurate.
                        It wouldn't be because that would be improper. Considering that Merkel was the dog quite publicly, it would in fact be the fourth . . ...

Comment

Of course there are. Has any one claimed otherwise? There is nothing preventing basic level trading under WTO rules (or analogous rules) - with taxes, tariffs, regulatory barriers, bells & whistles. But then they do not have similar access as what the EU member states have. And that financial sector together with services kind of needs that access (especially since the 'basic' WTO trade does not cover them).

Comment

It wouldn't be because that would be improper. Considering that Merkel was the dog quite publicly, it would in fact be the fourth . . ...
                            You don't believe that – that it would be "improper".

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              Just a few minutes ago, I heard on BBC's Tech Tent that the Tories were outspent by both Labour and the Lib-Dems. Is that a fact? And if it is, on what exactly did the opposition spend its largess?
                              I read similar reports earlier in the campaign but thought that that just applied to social media spend.

Comment

• And of course there is the usual shortsighted **** claiming that the EU is the Fourth Reich, and referring to "another European leader from the past".
                                Pity those who can only think in stereotypes. But keep'm coming, you're excellent at confirming the US stereotype.
                                Thank god we know that's not the case.
                                "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X