Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many British lives is an American life worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many British lives is an American life worth?

It looks like US diplomats can kill British people with impunity now.

How many Brits would a US diplomat have to kill before facing justice?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

The Dunn case reminded me of this one in Romania:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teo_Peter

Comment

That's the way it is with diplomats.
      Given that she's unlikely to face jail time for an accident, I'm not sure why the family is so insistent that she would return.
      it's a horrible unfortunate accident, but they're not going to get the US to break diplomatic immunity

Comment

"Diplomatic Immunity" as a 'getouttajailfree' card is an archaic concept and should be sh!tcanned. People, especially those who are guests in a foreign country, should always be on their best behavior and be responsible for their own actions. How many times have US LEOs been stymied by 'diplomatic immunity'? Not by the diplomats themselves but by the actions of those who are married to, children of, related to the actual diplomat whose 'immunity' to which they fraudulently attach themselves.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post

The Dunn case reminded me of this one in Romania:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teo_Peter
          Then there's the two children killed my US infantrymen in Korea. They also escaped justice as the children they killed were just Korean.
          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Then there's the two children killed my US infantrymen in Korea. They also escaped justice as the children they killed were just Korean.
            ...not the same as 'diplomatic immunity'
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I've read that the base near where this happened is an NSA facility and her spouse wasn't a diplomat but an employee there.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Croughton

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                "Diplomatic Immunity" as a 'getouttajailfree' card is an archaic concept and should be sh!tcanned. People, especially those who are guests in a foreign country, should always be on their best behavior and be responsible for their own actions. How many times have US LEOs been stymied by 'diplomatic immunity'? Not by the diplomats themselves but by the actions of those who are married to, children of, related to the actual diplomat whose 'immunity' to which they fraudulently attach themselves.
                There is some merit to that, but truthfully I'd only be reasonably confident in justice among the "Five Eyes".
                You sure wouldn't want your diplomats subject to local justice in Cuba, Syria, Venezuela etc etc.

Even looking at the botched prosecution of Amanda Knox in Italy, I'd be wary of local justice in Italy and some other European countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post

Even looking at the botched prosecution of Amanda Knox in Italy, I'd be wary of local justice in Italy and some other European countries.
                  I think you can point to botched prosecutions in any country. That doesn't mean people who commit crimes should be allowed to hide behind diplomatic immunity. If the crime is not of a political nature the norm should be that immunity is waived and the culprit faces local law. Obviously countries who don't have an independent judicial system should be excluded but this case is straightforward and took place in a close ally.

Comment

US has its double standard.....Over the years many incidents have happened with US citizens or soldiers have committed a crime or incident and have been whisked out of the country of the incident pdq never to be seen again......One standard for the US and another for the non American who commits a crime....and yu wonder why nobody trusts the US on anything any more.....

Zimmerbach Germany.......

Comment

If this American is to be stripped of diplomatic immunity and to be tried by a British court, then I can think of several thousand diplomats from over 150 countries who should be tried right here in New York for their crimes here. Turnaround's fair play. I'm deeply saddened that anyone should die in a senseless accident, and I'm embarrassed that it was an American who caused it, but it can't be denied that diplomatic immunity has been shamelessly abused for years, and as host to the UN, that NYC has suffered the lion's share of it.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

There is a lack of detail concerning the accident itself.

From a broader perspective it seems likely that the wide spread and irrational hatred of Trump in Europe puts any American especially diplomats associated with the administration at risk of being subjected to a show trial. You reap what you sow comes to mind.

Trump having been subject to the worst kind of judicial abuse by partisan at home, partisans aided and abetted by foreign governments, he can hardly be blamed for being suspicious. The abuse of hate speech laws in Britain being just one example of how politicised European courts have become.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

How many inhabitants of Syria, of Israel, of Luxemburg ,of the US would a British diplomat have to kill before facing justice ?

Comment

There is a lack of detail concerning the accident itself.

From a broader perspective it seems likely that the wide spread and irrational hatred of Trump in Europe puts any American especially diplomats associated with the administration at risk of being subjected to a show trial. You reap what you sow comes to mind.

Trump having been subject to the worst kind of judicial abuse by partisan at home, partisans aided and abetted by foreign governments, he can hardly be blamed for being suspicious. The abuse of hate speech laws in Britain being just one example of how politicised European courts have become.
                            Good lord, what total bollocks is that, from the very first line.

Apologism, deflection, trivialization, it's all there.

So, she fled. Even though there was a lack of detail? ,

What the hell does this have to do with Trump? Has he been mentioned, blamed, or invloved in this?

Yes, he became involved in his own stupid way:
                            Donald Trump “ambushed” Harry Dunn’s parents by revealing the woman allegedly responsible for the teenager’s death was waiting to meet them in a nearby room at the White House, their lawyer has said.

Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn turned down an invitation to speak with Anne Sacoolas, who fled the UK following the crash which killed the 19-year-old motorcyclist in August, after the US president told them she was in the next room.
                            Jeez, how effing blunt can one be.

Cases like these have always been considered unjustifiable, and rightly so.
                            The very least that can be done is having the perpetrator trialled in his or her country of origin.

The perpetrator wasn't a diplomat, so why immunity anyway?
                            "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

How many inhabitants of Syria, of Israel, of Luxemburg ,of the US would a British diplomat have to kill before facing justice ?
                              Ah deflecting again. So utterly, utterly, utterly predictable.
                              "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X