Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have the Vikings Returned?

Sword-wielding student kills 1, wounds 9 at Finland school

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/world/2019/10/01/finland-sword-wielding-student-killing/40230743/

What the bleep has this to do with the Vikings?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

What the bleep has this to do with the Vikings?
      Nordic Person + Sword = Viking

Comment

Sadly yet another school attack. Good thing was that the lunatic used some sort of a sword instead of a firearm. He also tried to torch the place but the fire was quickly put out. When the police raided his student flat/apartment they reportedly found plenty of arsonists equipment, including molotov cocktails and similar.

Historically... The Finns were not vikings - either too poor or too fierce to be conquered, or both. So the vikings left the Finnic tribes mostly alone apart from trading. Given the near total lack of certain defensive structures in the SW Finland it is likely that the people who resided in that corner of Finland may even have been allied with various Swedish groups (or vikings). That being said there are quite a few hints that while the Finns as a whole might not have been vikings more than a few likely went viking for a nice share of plunder (given what has been found from graves).
        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post

So the next time someone murders a load of in a school can we ask if the cowboys are back?

American + Gun = Cowboy.
          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

So the next time someone murders a load of in a school can we ask if the cowboys are back?

American + Gun = Cowboy.
            Or to extend that logic: politician + bribe = Irishman.

Rimshot

I can do this all day . . . .

Shivering passed-out drunk + puddle of vomit = Russian

High-quality wine + acrid BO = Frenchman

I see a thread coming out of this.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Or to extend that logic: politician + bribe = Irishman.

Rimshot

I can do this all day . . . .

Shivering passed-out drunk + puddle of vomit = Russian

High-quality wine + acrid BO = Frenchman

I see a thread coming out of this.
              This is a great game!

Too fat to walk + mobility scooter = Floridian

God bothering bigot + frightened of just about everything so needs loads of guns = Texan
              Insecure know it all + aggressive + really annoying and dumb = Brooklynite
              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

No way!
                Finns plus swords = Nudists!
                or drunk sauna party.....
                The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

This is a great game!

Too fat to walk + mobility scooter = Floridian

God bothering bigot + frightened of just about everything so needs loads of guns = Texan
                  Insecure know it all + aggressive + really annoying and dumb = Brooklynite
                  Aren't we being rather America-centric. At least I didn't bring up

Lilting Gaelic accent + aroma of nitrates = terrorist.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Aren't we being rather America-centric. At least I didn't bring up

Lilting Gaelic accent + aroma of nitrates = terrorist.

Yea, well we keep it local, you guys bomb freedom into people all over the world.

Comment

Yea, well we keep it local, you guys bomb freedom into people all over the world.
                      To quote Stanley Kubrick/Michael Herr/Gustav Hasford:

But to be honest, the world's armies have always relied on the Irish to fill their ranks: British, Spanish, French, US . . . . I mean, your very own County Sligo paid homage to Eire's sons -- and their sons -- who've served the United States under arms.

So it would appear that Irishmen have circled the globe bringing peace, love, and joy on the muzzle-ends of their weapons wherever they've gone.

Comment

Still pissed that Bush cut off your bomb money I see.

Really, man, you need to pull that stick out of your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                          Sadly yet another school attack. Good thing was that the lunatic used some sort of a sword instead of a firearm. He also tried to torch the place but the fire was quickly put out. When the police raided his student flat/apartment they reportedly found plenty of arsonists equipment, including molotov cocktails and similar.

Historically... The Finns were not vikings - either too poor or too fierce to be conquered, or both. So the vikings left the Finnic tribes mostly alone apart from trading. Given the near total lack of certain defensive structures in the SW Finland it is likely that the people who resided in that corner of Finland may even have been allied with various Swedish groups (or vikings). That being said there are quite a few hints that while the Finns as a whole might not have been vikings more than a few likely went viking for a nice share of plunder (given what has been found from graves).
                          I've noticed that a number of these premeditated mass murderers make bombs, but do not use them before they start killing with lesser weapons. I would think a sword would actually be of little use in attempting to kill many people in a short time as it takes so long to wield. A short sword like a gladus would work better I think, or better yet a dagger. I know in other mass attacks with edged weapons the knife seems to have killed a lot more.

About 20 years back a couple of good ol' boys got all liquored up initiating a brawl that led to one guy taking a sword from the wall to kill one of the other guys, and it was like "Bob! You killt Bill!" type of things. Crossbows are becoming a fashion of late as well.

Sad about the school. I thought I read it was a shopping mall, which is not much better, but schools are something different.

Thanks for the info on vikings. I didn't think Finns actually qualified, but did suspect some may have free booted with the Danes, and Norwegians. Interesting post all around.

Tuebor

Comment

Still pissed that Bush cut off your bomb money I see.

Really, man, you need to pull that stick out of your ass.
                            the unfortunate part is that until 800AD, Ireland was the advanced armaments centre of the world, the Island had space weapons and a full nuclear power grid…...
                            then they discovered distilling......

Comment

I've noticed that a number of these premeditated mass murderers make bombs, but do not use them before they start killing with lesser weapons. I would think a sword would actually be of little use in attempting to kill many people in a short time as it takes so long to wield. A short sword like a gladus would work better I think, or better yet a dagger. I know in other mass attacks with edged weapons the knife seems to have killed a lot more.

About 20 years back a couple of good ol' boys got all liquored up initiating a brawl that led to one guy taking a sword from the wall to kill one of the other guys, and it was like "Bob! You killt Bill!" type of things. Crossbows are becoming a fashion of late as well.

Sad about the school. I thought I read it was a shopping mall, which is not much better, but schools are something different.

Thanks for the info on vikings. I didn't think Finns actually qualified, but did suspect some may have free booted with the Danes, and Norwegians. Interesting post all around.

Tuebor
                              98% ain't just - some...…." and before I sail it back Helsinki, thank you, swedes, for weapons also.."...
                              Finns are actually a mixture of Swedes and Sami peoples. My Polobian Wend ancestors were fierce Danish opponents . And roving freebooters when the odds were right.....
                              Last edited by marktwain; 03 Oct 19, 17:06.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X