Turkey raises pitch, India reaffirms support for Cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey raises pitch, India reaffirms support for Cyprus

Turkey raises pitch, India reaffirms support for Cyprus.

Turkey is threatening tiny Island nation of Cyprus.

Turkey is in illegal occupation of Cyprus just like its good friend Pakistan.

Pakistan is threatening Nuclear war over Kashmir.

Turkey wants to Run over the Island. Anastasiades decries Turkey’s gunboat diplomacy in UN speech

The president said that while it was not his intention to embark on a blame game, yet, he was not allowed to or “the dignity of our people dictates not to do so, to accept the gunboat diplomacy, blackmail tactics and the attempts to force our side to negotiate under duress.”

He wondered whether it was possible for the efforts of the UN Secretary-General to succeed while Turkey was violating the sovereign rights of the Republic of Cyprus in its internationally recognised exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and continental shelf.

“Or when Turkey threatens Cyprus that there will be severe consequences if we proceed ahead with our energy programme? Or when Turkey threatens neighbouring states and energy companies, with which we are cooperating and have established conventional obligations?” he asked.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/09/26/a...un-speech/amp/

The Prime Minister Narendra Modi met the President of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly and reiterated India's "consistent support for the independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and unity of the Republic of Cyprus."

The development comes at a time when Turkey has been very vocal and continues to back Pakistan's line on Kashmir. In fact, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke from the United Nations General Assembly on Kashmir, which may irk New Delhi.

Cyprus and Turkey don't have very good ties as Turkey occupies the northern part of the island country. Recently, Ankara threatened Cyprus with its plan to drill in what Nicosia says is their "exclusive economic zone".
    https://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...us-2792947/amp

India and Pakistan; when it comes to Kashmir it's hard to know which side to dislike the most.Words like appalling and despicable don't do either side justice. The one thing that's clear is that neither side could care less about the people in the region.

As for Turkey and Cyprus; Turkey isn't going to do anything other than make noise. This is a row about who gets the money from the natural gas. A deal will be brokered.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
      India and Pakistan; when it comes to Kashmir it's hard to know which side to dislike the most.Words like appalling and despicable don't do either side justice. The one thing that's clear is that neither side could care less about the people in the region.

As for Turkey and Cyprus; Turkey isn't going to do anything other than make noise. This is a row about who gets the money from the natural gas. A deal will be brokered.
      Indians like Cyprus people are not occupying any body eles land.

Pakistan and Turkey are occupying forces.

Turkey has done ethnic cleansing in Armenia and occupied Cyprus.

Pakistan has done in Pakistan effectively reducing the percentage of minorities from 20 % to 2%. 18 % either were killed converted or left Pakistan.

Pakistani ethnic cleansing in Balochistan, Bangladesh is also well known.

European nations did nothing to help Cyprus against Turkey.

We have very long History of fine relationship with Cyprus. Our troops been there under UN mandate.

Things were similarly bad in occupied Northern Ireland . Till they sat down and decided to cut down violence.

Perfectly civilized races are capable of doing extreme. Germans for example.

The trouble in Kashmir is departing gift from our colonial masters. We have to slug it out to the logical end.

British "divide et impera" at its best.
      The Partition: The British game of 'divide and rule'

Before leaving India, the British made sure a united India would not be possible.

Before leaving India, the British made sure a united India would not be possible.

by Shashi Tharoor

On August 15, 1947, India won independence: a moment of birth that was also an abortion, since freedom came with the horrors of the partition, when East and West Pakistan were hacked off the stooped shoulders of India by the departing British.

Seventy years later, it is hard to look back without horror at the savagery of the country's vivisection, when rioting, rape and murder scarred the land, millions were uprooted from their homes, and billions of rupees worth of property were damaged and destroyed.
      https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/indept...101655163.html

Comment

Originally posted by vikram72 View Post

Indians like Cyprus people are not occupying any body eles land.

Pakistan and Turkey are occupying forces.

Turkey has done ethnic cleansing in Armenia and occupied Cyprus.

Pakistan has done in Pakistan effectively reducing the percentage of minorities from 20 % to 2%. 18 % either were killed converted or left Pakistan.

Pakistani ethnic cleansing in Balochistan, Bangladesh is also well known.

European nations did nothing to help Cyprus against Turkey.

We have very long History of fine relationship with Cyprus. Our troops been there under UN mandate.

Things were similarly bad in occupied Northern Ireland . Till they sat down and decided to cut down violence.

Perfectly civilized races are capable of doing extreme. Germans for example.

The trouble in Kashmir is departing gift from our colonial masters. We have to slug it out to the logical end.

British "divide et impera" at its best.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/indept...101655163.html
        There was an Irish military and police presence in Cyprus with the UN for over 40 years. Most of the UN troops there are from Europe.

However bad the British forces behaved in Northern Ireland (and they behaved like animals on occasion) it was nowhere near as bad as Indian forces have behaved, and continue to behave, in Kashmir. I'm not for a moment suggesting that they are as bad as the pakistani forces but I really think you need to aspire to higher standards than that.

I agree completely that the British colonial legacy is one of division, blood, inequality and oppression. I don't even have to leave this island to see it. BoJo and his mob are having to deal with the political reality of one of their last overseas colonies as they try to commit economic suicide through Brexit.
        I do love the fact that the last British car company is now an Indian company, especially considering their legacy of dismantling Indians industry during the colonial era.
        "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

There was an Irish military and police presence in Cyprus with the UN for over 40 years. Most of the UN troops there are from Europe.

However bad the British forces behaved in Northern Ireland (and they behaved like animals on occasion) it was nowhere near as bad as Indian forces have behaved, and continue to behave, in Kashmir. I'm not for a moment suggesting that they are as bad as the pakistani forces but I really think you need to aspire to higher standards than that.

I agree completely that the British colonial legacy is one of division, blood, inequality and oppression. I don't even have to leave this island to see it. BoJo and his mob are having to deal with the political reality of one of their last overseas colonies as they try to commit economic suicide through Brexit.
          I do love the fact that the last British car company is now an Indian company, especially considering their legacy of dismantling Indians industry during the colonial era.
          But Europe including Ireland failed Cyprus. Too weak to raise voice against Turkey.

Jihadist Muslims with backing from 51 Muslim countries Expelled Jews from Middle East.

Christians from Turkey.

Hindus , Sikhs, Buddhist and Christians from Kashmir Valley.

When Indian Army tries to catch or kill Pakistani terrorists the Jihadist attack Indian Army and Paramilitary forced with stones and Petrol Bombs. State police of Jammu and Kashmir which is 70 % Muslim tries to keep crowd away is generally killed by mob. When troops fire in self defence they are called Animals.

We don't want Palestine like situation in Kashmir.

The Army imposed curfew is in night. Pakistani Terrorist sponsored curfew is in day. They are not allowing situation to become normal.

There are no deaths since removal of Article 370.

Kashmir is under lock down a harsh but effective preventive measure.

We had tried everything nice in last 70 years.

Now Indian public opinion is " enough is enough "

We may see real conventional war this winter .

The Hindu Nationalist BJP will not loose this opportunity to change demographic position in Kashmir. That is my guess.

Rational thinking is in back burner in India.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE

You can't go on blaming the British forever -convenient scapegoats that they have always been. Independence was granted in 1947 : isn't it about time some sort of understanding was reached ?
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

There’s more. I can’t quite following the reasoning that the British indulged in some sort of policy of “Divide and Rule” .Surely, prior to 1947, India was a single entity-embracing Kashmir. It was only after partition that there was division . And why would the British want to instigate a “Divide and Rule” upon departure anyway ? What would be the point ?

As for Cyprus, you will be aware that the Greek and Turkish communities co-existed under a British Protectorate without clashing ,at least until the Enosis campaign encouraged by Greece. It was only after the British departed that unrest became manifest and the United Nations had to intervene.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                There’s more. I can’t quite following the reasoning that the British indulged in some sort of policy of “Divide and Rule” .Surely, prior to 1947, India was a single entity-embracing Kashmir. It was only after partition that there was division . And why would the British want to instigate a “Divide and Rule” upon departure anyway ? What would be the point ?

As for Cyprus, you will be aware that the Greek and Turkish communities co-existed under a British Protectorate without clashing ,at least until the Enosis campaign encouraged by Greece. It was only after the British departed that unrest became manifest and the United Nations had to intervene.
                That's beauty of British Policy of Divide and Rule.

When they rule, They rule with Iron Fist.

When they depart , they depart after sowing seeds of discontent. So there will never be peace.

Look at Hong-Kong.

British never granted them any kind of Democracy.

We Indians were promised Dominion status in 1912-14. We fought and died for Empire.

Ultimately we got hard fought freedom with British manufactured Partition and dis content.

Now same is happening in Hong Kong.

I some time suspect that US civil war was also of their making.

Comment

Originally posted by vikram72 View Post

That's beauty of British Policy of Divide and Rule.
                  Eh? Empires are supposed to divide et impera whilst ruling. Drawing a line after you leave is one of the least happier aspects of Empire.

Though the fact is India (and Ireland for that matter) was never a united country until the British arrived.

When they rule, They rule with Iron Fist.
                  Relatively compared to the Delhi Sultanate or the Mughals or indeed other European Empires?

I some time suspect that US civil war was also of their making.
                  Sssshhh ... don't tell anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                    Yes, although the British haven't quite left. The Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia are British Overseas Territories.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post

Eh? Empires are supposed to divide et impera whilst ruling. Drawing a line after you leave is one of the least happier aspects of Empire.
                      True. Empires are built on blood and conquest, not consent. Otherwise they wouldn't be empires.

Though the fact is India (and Ireland for that matter) was never a united country until the British arrived.
                      Ireland had a system of Kings and High Kings before the Norman English arrived so it was as much a country as anywhere else.

England wasn't really a country either before the Norman French conquered it but I don't think anyone is suggesting that it, or part of it, should still be under French rule. What matters is what the people want now and right now most people here don't want Northern ireland (I suspect that most people in Britain don't really want it either).

Comment

True. Empires are built on blood and conquest, not consent. Otherwise they wouldn't be empires.
                        The EIC and then Britain ruled in India with a ridiculously small number of white soldiers. Impossible without the approval, aid and consent of the locals.

Ireland had a system of Kings and High Kings before the Norman English arrived so it was as much a country as anywhere else.
                        England wasn't really a country either before the Norman French conquered it
                        Irelands 'system' was about the same developmental level as pre-Roman Celtic Europe, with the same lack of centralization, but with the same perennial internecine warfare between 'Kings'.
                        In contrast Anglo-Saxon England had, for the time, a well developed economy, currency, bureaucracy, system of law, of taxation, of conscription and of local government.

Comment

The EIC and then Britain ruled in India with a ridiculously small number of white soldiers. Impossible without the approval, aid and consent of the locals.

Irelands 'system' was about the same developmental level as pre-Roman Celtic Europe, with the same lack of centralization, but with the same perennial internecine warfare between 'Kings'.
                          In contrast Anglo-Saxon England had, for the time, a well developed economy, currency, bureaucracy, system of law, of taxation, of conscription and of local government.
                          Ireland had a unified language and a single system of law, under which every king was constrained, predating the Magna Carta by 500 years. Women had far more rights than under Norman English law. While there was loose political union there was strong cultural, legal and linguistic union. But as I said, what matters is what people want now; the oppressor always comes up with justifications for their oppression of their victims. In the end if a country does not want to be occupied by a foreign power it has the right to that self determination.

Comment

=Gooner;n5144351]

Eh? Empires are supposed to divide et impera whilsthave ruling. Drawing a line after you leave is one of the least happier aspects of Empire.

Agreed

Its another myth created by British.

The South Asia was called Bharatvarsha.
                            United by Ancient Hinduism

https://amp.scroll.in/article/852113...untry-of-india

We had many empires ruled different areas different times.

Many Independent city states and Republics.

It is true that it was opposition to British Empire that made us politically United. Which happened despite British efforts to keep separate linguistic areas in one province. We sincerely thank them for that.

Relatively compared to the Delhi Sultanate or the Mughals or indeed other European Empires?
                            No they were better masters then others.

It's said that there were three general types of British in India during Raj.

1) Those who hated India.

2) Those who had neither for nor Against India.
                            ( Generally good administrators )

3) Those who loved India.

we only remember and respect the last two varieties.

Sssshhh ... don't tell anyone.
                            no i won't

Comment

I don't see the British as being a cause for the American Civil War. They would have tried to profit by it, though. It is what nation states do.

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X