Imperial pretentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial pretentions

Boris has compared his recent actions to those of Octavius (Emperor Augustus) - delusions of grandeur? Or watching too much I Claudius - perhaps he thinks he's Brian Blessed?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

^ How is leaving the EU in any way comparable to establishing the Roman Empire? And if Boris is Augustus, does that mean that he'll have to marry Livia? Boris'd better not eat any figs.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

At least you’re not stuck with PM Commodus like we are in Canada.

5FF6697F-74CC-4A66-8924-11B568250B3E.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
        Boris has compared his recent actions to those of Octavius (Emperor Augustus) - delusions of grandeur? Or watching too much I Claudius - perhaps he thinks he's Brian Blessed?
        I want Brian Blessed as British PM! The speeches would be beautifully enunciated and would require no amplification.

Alternatively I want him to play Boris in 'Boris: the Movie'. he can keep the beard and just put on a blonde wig. I predict a blockbuster!

Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          ^ How is leaving the EU in any way comparable to establishing the Roman Empire? And if Boris is Augustus, does that mean that he'll have to marry Livia? Boris'd better not eat any figs.
          If anyone is trying to restablish the Roman Empire it is the EU.

Anyway this story dates from from 2014 and was in response to being asked in an interview what Emperor he would compare himself to. Boris is a classicist who has written on Roman history.

http://www.totalpolitics.com/article...l-hail-emperor

"To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

If anyone is trying to restablish the Roman Empire it is the EU.

Anyway this story dates from from 2014 and was in response to being asked in an interview what Emperor he would compare himself to. Boris is a classicist who has written on Roman history.

http://www.totalpolitics.com/article...l-hail-emperor

Much more recently he compared his purge of the Tories with Octavian's bloodletting - do keep up
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Much more recently he compared his purge of the Tories with Octavian's bloodletting - do keep up
              You mean when Octavian teamed up with Marc Antony and proscribed several hundred notable Romans, including Cicero, whom Antony not only ordered put to death, but to have his hands hacked off and nailed to the Senate house doors? That's the Octavian that Boris Johnson sees himself emulating?

Comment

You mean when Octavian teamed up with Marc Antony and proscribed several hundred notable Romans, including Cicero, whom Antony not only ordered put to death, but to have his hands hacked off and nailed to the Senate house doors? That's the Octavian that Boris Johnson sees himself emulating?
                That's the bunny - later known as the Emperor Augustus

Comment

That's the bunny - later known as the Emperor Augustus
                  That sounds a little ominous . . . .

Comment

That sounds a little ominous . . . .
                    I remember from the Prince that Machiavelli recommended carrying out a purge soon after one came to power. That way one only had to do it once.

Augustus was perhaps the most successful of Roman emperors, it is good to have high standards.
                    At least he isn't seeking to emulate Caligula.
                    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

My theory is that Boris is emulating Publius Varus, who discovered that getting out of the EU was more getting slammed and dunked than- slam dunk....
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Quinctilius_Varus

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Perhaps one could compare Boris with the situation that Julius Caesar found himself during the Ides of March: Et tu Brutus ?
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                          Perhaps one could compare Boris with the situation that Julius Caesar found himself during the Ides of March: Et tu Brutus ?
                          Well Gove has already stabbed him in the back once and Jacob RM has a lean and hungry look

Comment

Maybe Boris can develop a limp and a stutter, and marry the sleaziest tramp in town . . . .

Comment

Maybe Boris can develop a limp and a stutter, and marry the sleaziest tramp in town . . . .
                              then invade Britain- from France?
                              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X