Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To dismantle Thatcher’s legacy what should be Corbyn’s first priority?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To dismantle Thatcher’s legacy what should be Corbyn’s first priority?

Serious question.
    I’m asking because I recently I heard from an old university colleague who had worked in the UK Civil Service for over thirty years.
    He told me that he heard from a friend who was told by another friend that an acquaintance had said she had been told by someone else who knew the bearded one ….…………that Corbyn has sworn a secret, personal blood oath that it was his sacred duty to conduct a crusade to dismantle the (as he sees it) loathsome Thatcher legacy root and branch.
    I smiled wistfully when I heard this, thinking ‘urban myth’/’fake rumor’ etc., but my colleague said he believed the essence (if not the more histrionic aspects) of the story is true.

Said the tale of the ‘triumph or oblivion’ blood oath was still doing the Civil Service cocktail party circle and chess club meeting rounds when he left the UK in May this year.

Corbyn recently promised a revolution in British politics.
    Nothing new there, pollies all over the world promise a new ‘way ahead’ every other month.
    But the atmospheric in the UK according to my colleague is along the lines of ‘anything might happen’.

According to the scuttlebutt Corbyn’s approach will include:

.Re-nationalization of everything that can be renationalized.

. Downgrading of military spending.
    Accompanied by major PR effort to shift emphasis from what he believes are greatly exaggerated and
    overwrought perceptions of so called ‘security threats’. Threats which are used to justify wasteful spending on the armed services

. Massive emphasis on education, welfare, ‘multi-cultural Britain’

. A full steam ahead approach in the Cultural Wars to ensure the triumph of the progressive orthodoxy agenda.

. Plus….. ???

Well you get the idea.

Now I don’t know if Corbyn will become PM or not, but given the currently unstable and volatile (or whatever the British understated equivalent of ‘volatile’ is) eventually, a coalition government lead by him is quite possible.

Thatcher and Thatcherism was always a blasphemous abomination to old, hard-core Labour people.
    They’ve never forgotten or forgiven those years (and no, the fact that she won elections doesn’t in their eyes change that perception).
    My colleague who was an old straight-up late sixties/early seventies rad certainly hasn’t.
    Blair didn’t really tackle the sacrilegious Thatcherite edifice head on.

Times have changed,

I’ve asked the Foreign Office to keep me posted.

Regards
    lodestar

If he becomes PM, why do you think that he can just do as he pleases?
    After all, Theresa May was PM, but still could not get her own party to vote together on a deal. Just because the PM proposes something does not necessarily mean that the caucus will follow blindly.
    ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
    2) Enjoy playing it
    3) Enjoy sharing it
    4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Downgrade military spending? Is there any left to cut?

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Corbyn is an anti Semitic Marxist.

He would seek to nationalise as much as he can and massively raise taxes and borrowing. Essentially turn the UK into Venezuela.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
          Serious question.
          The state should buy up millions of homes from people at far below the market price, then rent them back to the previous owners.

Buy out all the privatised industries for hundreds of billions of pounds, stuff them full of bolshie union members, then cease investing in them.

Raise income taxes to massive levels so all those traitors with brains and/or ambition are forced to leave the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post

The state should buy up millions of homes from people at far below the market price, then rent them back to the previous owners.

Buy out all the privatised industries for hundreds of billions of pounds, stuff them full of bolshie union members, then cease investing in them.

Raise income taxes to massive levels so all those traitors with brains and/or ambition are forced to leave the country.

Didn't they do that already, destroying much of British industry in the process (and yes, it's a leading question)?

Corbyn and his cronies are like a 50 year reunion of a marxist University Student Union. He's an utterly loathsome individual.
            "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
            validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Yeah, what a b*tch that Margaret Thatcher was -- pulling Britain back from the abyss like that.

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Thatcher was a bitch, but she was the bitch that was needed. The medicine was harsh, but the patient survived and thrived. Any undoing of her legacy would take GB back to the days of the 70's.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                  Thatcher was a bitch, but she was the bitch that was needed. The medicine was harsh, but the patient survived and thrived. Any undoing of her legacy would take GB back to the days of the 70's.
                  Wonder why the Maggie haters always omit the part about the UK's economy being back-asswards from Clem Atlee to James Callaghan? Why aren't any of them castigated for gutting Britain's economy? Why is only Maggie blamed -- for killing what was already dead?
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Since these posts are not entirely coherent I will take this opportunity to point out how intellectual vacuous the term anti Semitic is.

Semitic
                    1. relating to or denoting a family of languages that includes Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic and certain ancient languages such as Phoenician and Akkadian, constituting the main subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic family.
                    2. relating to the peoples who speak Semitic languages, especially Hebrew and Arabic.
                    If you mean anti Jewish say anti Jewish.

Carry on.
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                      Since these posts are not entirely coherent I will take this opportunity to point out how intellectual vacuous the term anti Semitic is.

Semitic
                      1. relating to or denoting a family of languages that includes Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic and certain ancient languages such as Phoenician and Akkadian, constituting the main subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic family.
                      2. relating to the peoples who speak Semitic languages, especially Hebrew and Arabic.
                      If you mean anti Jewish say anti Jewish.

Carry on.
                      On the contrary in English, even American English, anti semetic means anti Jewish and has always been taken to mean so since it first entered common usage.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari.../anti-semitism

now you carry on.
                      Last edited by Surrey; 20 Aug 19, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Wonder why the Maggie haters always omit the part about the UK's economy being back-asswards from Clem Atlee to James Callaghan? Why aren't any of them castigated for gutting Britain's economy? Why is only Maggie blamed -- for killing what was already dead?
                        A Hard act to follow....
                        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

On the contrary in English, even American English, anti semetic means anti Jewish and has always been taken to mean so since it first entered common usage.
                          Literally in English anti Semitic means against Semitic peoples which whilst it includes Hebrews also includes Arabs and many others.
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari.../anti-semitism

now you carry on.
                            Just because a bit of language has long usage doesn't mean it isn't ignorant.

Anti-Semitism, hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious or racial group. The term anti-Semitism was coined in 1879 by the German agitator Wilhelm Marr to designate the anti-Jewish campaigns under way in central Europe at that time. Although the term now has wide currency, it is a misnomer, since it implies a discrimination against all Semites. Arabs and other peoples are also Semites, and yet they are not the targets of anti-Semitism as it is usually understood. The term is especially inappropriate as a label for the anti-Jewish prejudices, statements, or actions of Arabs or other Semites. Nazi anti-Semitism, which culminated in the Holocaust, had a racist dimension in that it targeted Jews because of their supposed biological characteristics—even those who had themselves converted to other religions or whose parents were converts. This variety of anti-Jewish racismdates only to the emergence of so-called “scientific racism” in the 19th century and is different in nature from earlier anti-Jewish prejudices.
                            https://www.britannica.com/topic/anti-Semitism

Don't bother carrying on.
                            We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Literally in English anti Semitic means against Semitic peoples which whilst it includes Hebrews also includes Arabs and many others.
                              No it does not. They obviously did not have such a thing as a dictionary at what passes for a school in Birmingham.

Last edited by Surrey; 21 Aug 19, 00:07.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X