Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The French can get a bit intense over food

But this does seem a bit extreme
    A waiter near Paris has been shot dead by a customer who was reportedly angry because his sandwich was not prepared quickly enough.
    What does one do if one's steak is over cooked? Dynamite the grill? Is the world getting angrier and angrier?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49385132
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Paris waiters do have a reputation for being a bit surly.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      But this does seem a bit extreme

What does one do if one's steak is over cooked? Dynamite the grill? Is the world getting angrier and angrier?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49385132
      I bet that waiter was never slow again ….with service...
      My father taught me that lining up at 4.30 am, in a converted cowshed, in a November Welsh 1944 storm, for "bland service punishment rations' made you appreciate restaurants for the - rest of your life..
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        Paris waiters do have a reputation for being a bit surly.
        Just a bit
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Just a bit
          I think from experience they take a delight in it. Never been a fan of Paris and preferred provincial France where I have always ound a very different attitude.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

I think from experience they take a delight in it. Never been a fan of Paris and preferred provincial France where I have always ound a very different attitude.
            If you follow culinary exchanges, American teams have begun and to expand victories enough to embarrass French teams more frequently during challenges in France in recent years.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I had the luck to be stationed just outside of Paris at 19. For me Paris is one of the most beautiful city's with the most unfriendly residence.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                If you follow culinary exchanges, American teams have begun and to expand victories enough to embarrass French teams more frequently during challenges in France in recent years.
                The French food in general I find over rated.

Comment

The French food in general I find over rated.

That's why I always preferred provincial France with regional dishes and grandmere cusine rather than ultra pretentious nouvelle cusine

Comment

I agree that Parisians are generally rude and people in most of the rest of France are friendlier, though I find Germans, Italians and Portuguese people much friendlier.
                    Though I don't think shooting a waiter is a proportionate response to him being rude.

In my opinion London is the top city in the world for food, followed by places like New York and Chicago.

I generally prefer Northern Italian food to regional French food. I also find the quality of the raw ingredients far better here in Ireland than in France. 20 years ago the standard of food here was bad but I'd put us up there with anywhere in the world now.
                    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

If you are travelling in Saskatchewan , Canada, the situation is completely reversed ( at least CA 1990's, when I was roadin 'it.)
                      Never eat in Rockglen , Saskatchewan….
                      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

In my opinion London is the top city in the world for food
                        You need to get out more. I haven't been up there since about 95 or so but except for the Indian food the English food was deplorable. Oxford street after buying a suit, steak and Brussels sprout. Sadly the steak tasted like the sprouts and the sprouts like the steak. Fortunately I got pointed in the direction of an Indian local and have been in love with their food, most of it, ever since.

Comment

You need to get out more. I haven't been up there since about 95 or so but except for the Indian food the English food was deplorable. Oxford street after buying a suit, steak and Brussels sprout. Sadly the steak tasted like the sprouts and the sprouts like the steak. Fortunately I got pointed in the direction of an Indian local and have been in love with their food, most of it, ever since.
                          Don't eat on Oxford street -find out were the small backstreet independent restraints are located. From my experience the European city with the biggest variety of good little restraints is Brussels but you have to explore

BTW most 'Indian 'restaurants in Britain are Bengali food - ie Bangladeshi
                          Last edited by MarkV; 19 Aug 19, 10:20.

Comment

Don't eat on Oxford street -find out were the small backstreet independent restraints are located. From my experience the European city with the biggest variety of good little restraints is Brussels but you have to explore
                            I know that for fact. One of the must memorable dinning experiences was in Brussels just of the Central Market sq. Wrought Iron table wit marble top and saw dust on the floor. A nice cut of beef and green bans with red wine out of the bottle which was sort of a high light. Came time to pay and the waited picked y\up the bottled to see what had been taken and made the bill accordingly. That on a trip from Germany to London in 71.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                              In my opinion London is the top city in the world for food, followed by places like New York and Chicago.
                              I don't know which city is top of the world for food, but I do know it isn't Budapest. Budapest is many things - architecturally beautiful, interesting, pedestrian friendly, generally clean, historical, with a plethora of cafes - but cuisine-wise Hungarian cooking leaves a lot to be desired. Generally looking at meat cooked in lard with generous helpings of paprika and garlic, often stuffed inside another piece of meat cooked in lard with generous helpings of paprika and garlic. The general aesthetic is heavy and greasy. Vegetables are considered exotic fare. Expect to gain weight during your sojourn in the city.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X