Nicht Vorsprung durch Technik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicht Vorsprung durch Technik

Not when it comes to new airports anyway. Germany's show piece Berlin Brandenburg International Airport has never had a passenger. It is a multi billion Euro disaster - yet until I saw this BBC report I'd never heard of it. The German's are obviously as good at hiding flops as they are at selling the myth of ruthless efficiency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48527308
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

It has been regular topic in Finnish press for at least an decade. There is yearly articles about it. So hardly a secret. Actually there was one article last week which was rehash of previous ones. Including references to our Olkiluoto nuclearplant which was supposed to be completed in 2009 and now latest is estimate is 2020. Cost have gone from 3 billion to 9 billion. Luckily for finnish taxpayer French are paying for cost overruns .
    "Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery"
    Robert G. Ingersoll 1833-1899

Comment

It's been making the rounds in Swedish media for years as well.

Comment

Ditto. Flabbergasting never-ending story. If I recall correctly several heads have rolled in the past. I guess a certain tendency for over-engineering may have played an important role. But hey, reputations on the line and points-of-no-return having passed long ago, who would dare pull the plug?
        "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
          Ditto. Flabbergasting never-ending story. If I recall correctly several heads have rolled in the past. I guess a certain tendency for over-engineering may have played an important role. But hey, reputations on the line and points-of-no-return having passed long ago, who would dare pull the plug?
          Interesting - I wonder why it's taken so long for the sorry story to reach the UK
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Interesting - I wonder why it's taken so long for the sorry story to reach the UK
            It was covered in the Irish Independent about a year ago.

We can add to the list; we are building a Children's Hospital that was meant to cost E650 million but could now cost E2 billion. Government's are not careful with other people's money and, generally speaking, Public servants lack the skills and tenacity to deal with the Private sector and so the State spends more and gets less than they expect. What is surprising is that anyone is surprised.
            "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
            validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

We are currently here (Turku, Finland) subsumed in multiple spending 'scandals'. The local city wanted to renovate the City Theater - project started in 2013 with budged of just 25 M€ - the project was completed in 2017 with price tag of 45M€ (around 2 years after the planned completion date). Same with their pedestrian bridge over rail yard near event center Logomo - start date ~ 2017 with budget of just tad over 8 M€ and completed by the end of 2018 - the project is now underway and hopefully finishes in 2020 (maybe?) but the cost is now estimated to be around 16M€ (and climbing).

Welcome to the wonders of public spending.

Though at least here one of the key problems has ironically been the requirement to use public tenders (i.e. ask for bids). Mainly due to the demands of the political decision makers the cheapest offers nominally fulfilling the set criteria tend to be accepted and then they invariably fail. For example the theater debacle is a brilliant example of how being forced to get bids from the open markets for such works caused the failure combined with new 'innovative' (according to think-tanks back then) funding scheme which essentially made the repair thing to happen under sort of a LLC style structure (key here being the 'limited liability'),
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Good job we didn't give Jerry the contract for building The Dome...
                it'd have been a right disaster!!!

The long toll of the brave
                Is not lost in darkness
                Over the fruitful earth
                And athwart the seas
                Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                Unquenchable forever.

Comment

How's this for déjà vu: read Robert A Caro's Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York. The particular phrase you'll be looking for is "stake-driving."

''Once you sink that first stake,'' he was fond of saying, ''they'll never make you pull it up.'' Mr. Moses' work crews kept sinking stakes - and pulling up none - through Smith's governorship, and by the end of 1928, there were 9,700 acres of state parkland on Long Island. . . . .

Robert Moses' obituary, by Paul Goldberger, The New York Times, 30 Jul 1981
                  So an agency head or project director will approach his legislature stating that such-and-such will cost X monies over Y years. The truth is that the complete project will cost far more, and take far longer -- but that once the project is begun, and once the first portions of public monies are expended, the agency head/project director knows that the legislature will look like a bunch of a$$holes if they stop funding a project before it's complete -- leaving a half-finished pile of crap in the public view. So the legislature knuckles under, and they appropriate more funding year-on-year until said project is finally complete -- many times over budget, and many years longer than scheduled. This has been the shell game of virtually all government spending since at least the dawn of the 20th century -- so why anyone with a working brain feels comfortable paying taxes bewilders me, to say the least. Our governments are never expected to prove their competence before they shake us down, so why should we be expected to to keep coughing up without end? Only a moron keeps willingly going down that road -- year after year, decade after decade, generation after generation.
                  Last edited by slick_miester; 03 Jul 19, 14:14.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X