Brexit - an explanation at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brexit - an explanation at last

Looking at the BBC web page item on the Conservative leadership competition I was suddenly struck by what weird looking lot the candidates were. The photo of Sajid Javid in particular looked very like Uncle Fester from the Adams Family (see clip). In fact the whole boilin lot could be characters from Charles Adams cartoons (although Michael Gove is a bit OTT). Now it all makes sense - Brexit at al is a piece of black comedy. We're all in an artificial reality scripted by the shades of Charles Adams, Spike Milligan, N. F. Simpson etc - a sort of amalgam of the Adams family, the Bed Sitting Room and One Way Pendulum. Looked at that way it all adds up - the best we can do is laugh along sardonically - the world doesn't end with a bang but a ghoulish chuckle.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Thing is though, when the Goon Show was on you listened to every word, crying with laughter. I look at this shower of lying, druggy, unprincipled back stabbing bastards...
    and just cry.

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

According to a YouGov survey of Tory Party party members;

63% are willing to see Scotland leave in order to secure Brexit.
      59% of Conservative Party members are willing to see Northern Ireland leave the UK in order to secure Brexit.
      54% would accept the Tory party "being destroyed" in order to secure Brexit.
      46% would be happy to see the Brexit Party's Nigel Farage as their new leader.

61% would rather Brexit took place even if it caused "significant damage" to the economy.

The survey also found 26% of Tory members would be happy to see Scotland leave the UK, as would 20% be if Northern Ireland did so, regardless of the Brexit issue.

So much for the Tories being concerned about their "Glorious Union".
      The full name of the Party is the "Conservative and Unionist Party". Ironic, eh?

Can someone tell me again why they shouldn't be called "Little-englanders"?
      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

...And not to forget the little Remainer Scotlanders, Northern Irelanders and Welshers
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
          The survey also found 26% of Tory members would be happy to see Scotland leave the UK, as would 20% be if Northern Ireland did so, regardless of the Brexit issue.

So much for the Tories being concerned about their "Glorious Union".
          The full name of the Party is the "Conservative and Unionist Party". Ironic, eh?

Can someone tell me again why they shouldn't be called "Little-englanders"?
          Because, according to this poll, 74% want Scotland and 80% want Northern Ireland to remain in the Union?

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post

Because, according to this poll, 74% want Scotland and 80% want Northern Ireland to remain in the Union?
            What's your question?

The survey shows that for the majority of Tories getting Brexit for England is more important that the integrity of their country.
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

The Bank of England governor Mark Carney has rubbished Boris Johnson's claim that the UK can avoid tariffs with the EU in a no-deal Brexit scenario.
              Despite this I'm sure that the little-englanders will continue to ignore reality.

Comment

I read somewhere they only number 170.000 or so is that correct ?

If so - they have a disproportionate influence on British (foreign) policy no ?
                High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

I read somewhere they only number 170.000 or so is that correct ?

If so - they have a disproportionate influence on British (foreign) policy no ?
                  Yep, but the Tory's are the party of the elite, and those who vote for the elite, so 170,000 is good going for them.

Comment

Yep, but the Tory's are the party of the elite, and those who vote for the elite, so 170,000 is good going for them.
                    pol-party-uk-membership-historic-trend.png?mtime=20170827083939.png

Comment

It looks like the Tories all buggered off at the end of the Second World war.
                      Now that Churchill Mark2 is taking the reins I'm sure the membership will shoot back up.

Comment

It looks like the Tories all buggered off at the end of the Second World war.
                        Now that Churchill Mark2 is taking the reins I'm sure the membership will shoot back up.
                        Boris is Horatio Bottomley Mk 2 The original was an English financier, journalist, editor, newspaper proprietor, swindler, and Member of Parliament. - oh and a jailbird

You can tell if Boris is lying - his lips move
                        Last edited by MarkV; 21 Jun 19, 07:32.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Boris is Horatio Bottomley Mk 2 The original was an English financier, journalist, editor, newspaper proprietor, swindler, and Member of Parliament. - oh and a jailbird

You can tell if Boris is lying - his lips move
                          The lips of all politicians move .

Comment

The Bank of England governor Mark Carney has rubbished Boris Johnson's claim that the UK can avoid tariffs with the EU in a no-deal Brexit scenario.
                            Despite this I'm sure that the little-englanders will continue to ignore reality.
                            The duty of the governor of the Bank of England is : NOT to intervene in politics .I hope Boris will fire him .
                            Carney is the typical caviar liberal married to a far left woman .

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

The duty of the governor of the Bank of England is : NOT to intervene in politics .I hope Boris will fire him .
                              Carney is the typical caviar liberal married to a far left woman .
                              Yes, sack him for pointing out the truth.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X