Conservative Leadership Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

From what I've heard (NPR on Monday night) the UK has not suspended her support for the Iranian nuclear deal. Has Pres Trump offered the UK substantive help with this Iranian situation?
    The government has changed since Monday night. Wait and see.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Interesting article. For the most part, it says what I said before: the UK is not calling for a suspension of the Iran nuclear deal. Perhaps I'm guilty of reading too quickly, but no where does that article mention any offers of substantive support to the UK by the US. This is the closest, and it doesn't sound too substantive. From your link:

- emphasis mine

So whatever "promises" of assistance the US has tendered to the UK, at the very least that author views them very dimly. I know that this is The Guardian we're talking about here -- the UK's unofficial mouthpiece of the loathsome limousine liberal demographic -- but one must concede that even a broken clock is right twice a day. I see nothing in the Trump administration's rhetoric or actions that I can view as offering a reliable promise of substantive help if/when this Iran situation comes to a head -- and the Royal Navy ain't in no condition to go hot in the Persian Gulf. The calculus is clear: this thing is lining up as a lose-lose situation for the United Kingdom.
      That is the Guardian. A paper that is not friendly to Trump, Boris, America or the UK but is generally supportive of Iran.

Comment

• Hunt has been fired, as have much of May’’s Cabinet. Boris is looking to bring in his own team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post

That is the Guardian. A paper that is not friendly to Trump, Boris, America or the UK but is generally supportive of Iran.
          That's true: as far as I'm concerned, The Guardian should be generally viewed as a tainted source. Indeed, I did describe that rag just a couple of posts ago in this very thread as "the official mouthpiece of the loathsome limousine liberal." I make an exception, however, when there is a decided -- glaring -- dearth of contradicting facts in evidence. In this case, the Trump administration has said nothing, and done even less, to show that the US will stand behind the UK in a substantive manner with regards to British tanker traffic in the Persian Gulf. If some senior administration official -- SecState, SecDef, JCS, NSC -- has said something to the effect of "the United States stands behind the British efforts in the Persian Gulf, and we are fully prepared to honor our longstanding special friendship and our commitments with armed force if that should become necessary," and NOT have it contradicted by one of Pres Trump's twitter rants fifteen minutes later, then I'll be convinced that the US Gov't is really in the UK's corner and willing and ready to go to bat for her. Absent that, however, given Pres Trump's track record of empty bluster and posturing -- both before and since his election to the Presidency -- I recommend to my British friends that they play this one very warily, 'cause there's a genuine chance that the Trump administration will leave you blokes high and dry.

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          Hunt has been fired, as have much of May’’s Cabinet. Boris is looking to bring in his own team.
          Is there any way to know in advance if Johnson will nominate capable men to succeed those now being dismissed, or will he simply promote a battalion of sycophants?
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

That's true: as far as I'm concerned, The Guardian should be generally viewed as a tainted source. Indeed, I did describe that rag just a couple of posts ago in this very thread as "the official mouthpiece of the loathsome limousine liberal." I make an exception, however, when there is a decided -- glaring -- dearth of contradicting facts in evidence. In this case, the Trump administration has said nothing, and done even less, to show that the US will stand behind the UK in a substantive manner with regards to British tanker traffic in the Persian Gulf. If some senior administration official -- SecState, SecDef, JCS, NSC -- has said something to the effect of "the United States stands behind the British efforts in the Persian Gulf, and we are fully prepared to honor our longstanding special friendship and our commitments with armed force if that should become necessary," and NOT have it contradicted by one of Pres Trump's twitter rants fifteen minutes later, then I'll be convinced that the US Gov't is really in the UK's corner and willing and ready to go to bat for her. Absent that, however, given Pres Trump's track record of empty bluster and posturing -- both before and since his election to the Presidency -- I recommend to my British friends that they play this one very warily, 'cause there's a genuine chance that the Trump administration will leave you blokes high and dry.

Is there any way to know in advance if Johnson will nominate capable men to succeed those now being dismissed, or will he simply promote a battalion of sycophants?
            Trump was never going to say anything until Boris was in power. No point in helping an outgoing government. They can't pay him back. Much better to support the new leadership. It's how politics works.

Boris's choices could hardly be much worse than their predecessors. By the end of May's reign nearly everyone decent had resigned in disgust.
            He needs ministers who are going to be loyal to him above all.

Comment

Trump was never going to say anything until Boris was in power. No point in helping an outgoing government. They can't pay him back. Much better to support the new leadership. It's how politics works.
              But it was May's government that ordered the Royal Marines to sieze that Iranian tanker in Gibraltar at the Trump administration's behest, not Boris Johnson's . . . .

Boris's choices could hardly be much worse than their predecessors. By the end of May's reign nearly everyone decent had resigned in disgust.
              He needs ministers who are going to be loyal to him above all.
              How loyal? Are they not to speak of how ridiculously naked his new clothes make him look?

Comment

But it was May's government that ordered the Royal Marines to sieze that Iranian tanker in Gibraltar at the Trump administration's behest, not Boris Johnson's . . . .

How loyal? Are they not to speak of how ridiculously naked his new clothes make him look?
                The Iranian tanker was seized because it was breaking EU sanctions on Syria and was in British territorial waters.

He faces numerous threats from both within and without his own Party. He needs to have friends close to him.
                Boris is not May. Boris will not try and micro manage the country. His ministers will be expected to do their jobs without having the PM standing over their shoulder. He delegates. Thus he needs loyal supports who share his objectives.

Comment

The Iranian tanker was seized because it was breaking EU sanctions on Syria and was in British territorial waters.

He faces numerous threats from both within and without his own Party. He needs to have friends close to him.
                  Boris is not May. Boris will not try and micro manage the country. His ministers will be expected to do their jobs without having the PM standing over their shoulder. He delegates. Thus he needs loyal supports who share his objectives.
                  Hey look! I've found PM Johnson's first three cabinet ministers now.

Comment

Hey look! I've found PM Johnson's first three cabinet ministers now.

Actually his three senior ministers are great examples of aspiration. The Chancellor is the son of a bus driver who can to this country with £1. The Home Secretary ‘s family fled from Uganda. The Foreign Secretary is the son of a Jewish refugee from Czech and Boris himself is the grandson of a Turkish refugee. All have made good in the UK.

Comment

• If I was British and there was an election tomorrow, despite by loathing of BoJo, I'd still vote for him before i'd vote for that loathsome creature Corbyn.
                      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                        If I was British and there was an election tomorrow, despite by loathing of BoJo, I'd still vote for him before i'd vote for that loathsome creature Corbyn.
                        Which is why he can force through Brexit. If he is blocked by Parliament he knows that he stands a good chance of winning an election. May did not believe that she could win and thus Parliament could block her.
                        That is how it should work in a Parliamentary democracy. The people are sovereign and an appeal to them overrules the will of Parliament.

Comment

Which is why he can force through Brexit. If he is blocked by Parliament he knows that he stands a good chance of winning an election. May did not believe that she could win and thus Parliament could block her.
                          You're probably right.

That is how it should work in a Parliamentary democracy. The people are sovereign and an appeal to them overrules the will of Parliament.
                          That's incorrect; the Queen in Parliament is sovereign.
                          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

In this case change the law because it is not how legal system work in UK. Trampling the law, in this case ignoring the nature of referedum as advisory, that is a clear procedure in which Parliament withold the last word is not democracy. Only the first step to dictature...

Comment

• Originally posted by Metryll View Post

In this case change the law because it is not how legal system work in UK. Trampling the law, in this case ignoring the nature of referedum as advisory, that is a clear procedure in which Parliament withold the last word is not democracy. Only the first step to dictature...
                              Britain is a democracy. Thus ultimate power lies with the people.
                              The government is elected by the people. Parliament can check the government but government can then go back to the people to elect a new Parliament.
                              The people want to leave the EU as has demonstrated by the referendum result. Thus it must be enacted.

Comment

Britain is a democracy. Thus ultimate power lies with the people.
                                The government is elected by the people. Parliament can check the government but government can then go back to the people to elect a new Parliament.
                                The people want to leave the EU as has demonstrated by the referendum result. Thus it must be enacted.
                                The government is not elected by the people. Members of Parliament are elected by the people and a government is formed from some of those members. If Parliament expresses a lack of confidence in the government it does not automatically mean an election as if another government can be formed for which enough (a majority) of members will vote there will be no election. Under the Fixed Term Act it is no longer in the gift of a Prime Minister to call an election they have to get parliament to vote for one or to vote no confidence twice.
                                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Working...
                                X