Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conservative Leadership Elections

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    The leader after the Referendum should have been one of the leaders of the Leave campaign.
    Well if you had all voted for UKIP for example, after the ref. that's presumably what would have happened…....

    But all along this Brexit affair has been less about what was good for Britain, but all about what was good for the Tory party, and its leaders.

    Cameron, May, now Johnson, they're all the same, none really wants out.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

    Comment


    • Today I heard someone say that Johnson was the UK's Trump.
      I find that very unfair on Trump.

      Philip Hammond has jumped ship before HMS Boris set sail, and quite possibly before he was thrown overboard.
      It is hard to imagine a more unsuitable Prime Minister for the UK in the present circumstances. His populist buffoonish lazy persona will not endear him with EU leaders.

      He's already made offensive comments about the German, French and Irish leaders and to be blunt, they are all that really matter when it comes to Brexit.

      Is there a reason that 150,000 elderly white English men and women feel that harkening back to a past that never existed is so important that it necessitates doing so much damage to the future of their country?
      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

      Comment


      • Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
        Is there a reason that 150,000 elderly white English men and women feel that harkening back to a past that never existed is so important that it necessitates doing so much damage to the future of their country?
        It's only natural that old people fck over their kids, After all, they resent their kids, for having "robbed them of their youth" -- and then they turn around and accuse them of "having no respect."



        It's an age-old farce, updated with a comedic twist for today's over-educated illiterates.



        If you -- or your children -- didn't have to live through this mockery, then you might sit back and laugh at it.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

        Comment


        • Boris has won the leadership election and will be appointed Prime Minister tomorrow.

          He has a number of problems to deal with -

          1. Brexit
          2. Iran
          3 the large ‘Lib dem’ faction in the Parliamentay party.

          On the plus side he has the overwhelming support of members and a majority of Conservative MPs.
          Current polling is ambiguous but seems to indicate that pursuing a definite Brexit strategy will win him enough votes back from TBP to win an election should he need to call one.
          he also has the support of Trump in dealing with Iran.
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            Boris has won the leadership election and will be appointed Prime Minister tomorrow.

            He has a number of problems to deal with -

            1. Brexit
            2. Iran
            3 the large ‘Lib dem’ faction in the Parliamentay party.

            On the plus side he has the overwhelming support of members and a majority of Conservative MPs.
            Current polling is ambiguous but seems to indicate that pursuing a definite Brexit strategy will win him enough votes back from TBP to win an election should he need to call one.
            he also has the support of Trump in dealing with Iran.
            - emphasis mine

            I wouldn't take Trump's support to the bank. His pattern thus far has been to bluster and threaten, and then find a way to back down "gracefully," while failing to substantively address that condition that caused the controversy in the first place. Trump don't take risks for anyone 'cept Trump.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

            Comment


            • he also has the support of Trump in dealing with Iran
              .

              Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              - emphasis mine

              I wouldn't take Trump's support to the bank. His pattern thus far has been to bluster and threaten, and then find a way to back down "gracefully," while failing to substantively address that condition that caused the controversy in the first place. Trump don't take risks for anyone 'cept Trump.
              Like the zilch support over the recent tanker problem in the Gulf. Everything except actual help.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                .[/B]



                Like the zilch support over the recent tanker problem in the Gulf. Everything except actual help.
                Actual help would incur some element of risk. Trump ain't risking his a$$ in a sling on no foreigner's behalf. Actually, he's playing it smart, and on that side of the transaction I don't blame him, not one bit. The part that I hold against him is all the pre-game bluster. His big mouth is writing checks, and one of these days they'll have to be covered. Theresa May, Boris Johnson, whomever -- they'd be making a big mistake if they take Trump's posturing as an indication of genuine support if/when the sh*t actually hits the fan.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                Comment


                • It wouldn't surprise me if the Iranians release the tanker in a couple of days. They delayed releasing the us hostages till a couple of hours after Carter left office and Regan took over.

                  If they dont then we have to see if Boris is stupid enough to think that there's a military option.
                  "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
                    It wouldn't surprise me if the Iranians release the tanker in a couple of days. They delayed releasing the us hostages till a couple of hours after Carter left office and Regan took over.

                    If they dont then we have to see if Boris is stupid enough to think that there's a military option.
                    The miltary option is what should have been in place already. Having warships escort tankers through the Gulf.
                    Aside from that he should join Trump in imposing sanctions on Iran.
                    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Surrey View Post

                      The miltary option is what should have been in place already. Having warships escort tankers through the Gulf.
                      Aside from that he should join Trump in imposing sanctions on Iran.
                      Yeah, but your nation -- politicians and voters alike, from virtually all points on the political spectrum -- has pretty much divested herself of a functioning navy, so with what assets will your Royal Navy escort British-flagged tankers now?
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Surrey View Post

                        The miltary option is what should have been in place already. Having warships escort tankers through the Gulf.
                        Aside from that he should join Trump in imposing sanctions on Iran.
                        But it isnt in place and thats the snag and it feels like there have been sanctions on iran since about the time i grew pubic hair.

                        The issue that exists is one of " face" right now.

                        BoJo cannot afford to do nothing and he has an entire worlds worth of people who despise Britain waiting to see what he does.

                        Its going to be an interesting few weeks.
                        "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                          Yeah, but your nation -- politicians and voters alike, from virtually all points on the political spectrum -- has pretty much divested herself of a functioning navy, so with what assets will your Royal Navy escort British-flagged tankers now?
                          In return for suspending our support for the Iranian Deal we accept Trump’s offer of help.
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Surrey View Post

                            In return for suspending our support for the Iranian Deal we accept Trump’s offer of help.
                            From what I've heard (NPR on Monday night) the UK has not suspended her support for the Iranian nuclear deal. Has Pres Trump offered the UK substantive help with this Iranian situation?
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              From what I've heard (NPR on Monday night) the UK has not suspended her support for the Iranian nuclear deal. Has Pres Trump offered the UK substantive help with this Iranian situation?
                              https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...wk-john-bolton

                              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

                              Comment


                              • Interesting article. For the most part, it says what I said before: the UK is not calling for a suspension of the Iran nuclear deal. Perhaps I'm guilty of reading too quickly, but no where does that article mention any offers of substantive support to the UK by the US. This is the closest, and it doesn't sound too substantive. From your link:

                                Hunt’s appeal for international support for Britain has so far fallen on deaf ears, France and Germany excepted. China, Japan and other countries that rely on oil from the Gulf show no sign of helping. The US plan for a multinational coalition to protect Gulf shipping has few takers. Meanwhile, Trump’s promise to back Britain has scant practical value – and carries inherent dangers.

                                "How Trump’s arch-hawk lured Britain into a dangerous trap to punish Iran," by Simon Tisdale, The Guardian 20 Jul 2019
                                - emphasis mine

                                So whatever "promises" of assistance the US has tendered to the UK, at the very least that author views them very dimly. I know that this is The Guardian we're talking about here -- the UK's unofficial mouthpiece of the loathsome limousine liberal demographic -- but one must concede that even a broken clock is right twice a day. I see nothing in the Trump administration's rhetoric or actions that I can view as offering a reliable promise of substantive help if/when this Iran situation comes to a head -- and the Royal Navy ain't in no condition to go hot in the Persian Gulf. The calculus is clear: this thing is lining up as a lose-lose situation for the United Kingdom.
                                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X