Conservative Leadership Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    It is also possible to be British but not a UK citizen. Inhabitants of The Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey are all British but none of these islands are in the UK - they are British Self Governing Crown Dependencies
    Now you are just confusing him... but while we are at it the Islanders are British but didn't get to vote in the Referendum because, despite the name, it wasn't about Britain leaving the EU but about the UK leaving the EU.
    That's why the people in Northern Ireland, who are UK citizens but not British, did get a vote.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

That's why the people in Northern Ireland, who are UK citizens but not British, did get a vote.
      Erm My mother who was brought up in Omagh, having been born so close to the border (to the sound of gunfire) that we have have never been able to determine on which side was very convinced that she was British and Irish
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Erm My mother who was brought up in Omagh, having been born so close to the border (to the sound of gunfire) that we have have never been able to determine on which side was very convinced that she was British and Irish
        Sure, but she's not from Britain. It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
        "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Sure, but she's not from Britain. It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
          The citizens of the UK are called Britains, not United Kingdomers .

Comment

Now you are just confusing him... but while we are at it the Islanders are British but didn't get to vote in the Referendum because, despite the name, it wasn't about Britain leaving the EU but about the UK leaving the EU.
            Great Britain is a fiction, as Wales and Scoland have their own government .

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post

Don't say that to a Scotsman.

Comment

A Britain was a lead soldier made by W.Britain Ltd a toy soldier maker
                A Briton is a British citizen
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Great Britain is a fiction, as Wales and Scotland have their own government .
                  The United Kingdom was formed by the 1801 Act of Union between the Kingdom of Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland.
                  Great Britain was formed with the 1707 Act of Union between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland. It is not a fiction. You should know that, this is a history forum.

Comment

The United Kingdom was formed by the 1801 Act of Union between the Kingdom of Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland.
                    Great Britain was formed with the 1707 Act of Union between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland. It is not a fiction. You should know that, this is a history forum.
                    Not quite correct you are referring to the Kingdom of Great Britain which is a legal and political designation. - the 1707 act created a union between the Kingdom of England, the Principalities of Wales and Cornwall and the kingdom of Scotland. Great Britain is a geographical definition and refers to the main Island that contains England, Wales, Cornwall and Scotland

Although Cornwall is a Duchy it counts as a principality

Comment

Don't say that to a Scotsman.
                      I said : the citizens of the UK . I was not talking about Scots .
                      UK exists : how do you call its citizens ?

Comment

There is no such thing as the Kingdom of Great Britain : Elizabeth II is the queen of the UK , not the queen of Great Britain : Great Britain ceased to exist in 1801 .
                        Til 1801 George III was king of Great Britain and of Ireland, both separate states with their own parliament and government : in 1801 the parliament and government of GB and of Ireland ceased to exist, to be replaced by the parliament and government of the UK .
                        Thus those who talk about GB after 1801 ,talk about something that did no longer exist as a legal entity : it was and is a fiction .
                        The successor of May will not be the PM of GB ,but the PM of the UK .
                        And again, there is no other word available for the citizens of the UK than Britains .No one is talking about United Kingdomers .

Comment

There is no such thing as the Kingdom of Great Britain : Elizabeth II is the queen of the UK , not the queen of Great Britain : Great Britain ceased to exist in 1801 .
                          Til 1801 George III was king of Great Britain and of Ireland, both separate states with their own parliament and government : in 1801 the parliament and government of GB and of Ireland ceased to exist, to be replaced by the parliament and government of the UK .
                          Thus those who talk about GB after 1801 ,talk about something that did no longer exist as a legal entity : it was and is a fiction .
                          The successor of May will not be the PM of GB ,but the PM of the UK .
                          And again, there is no other word available for the citizens of the UK than Britains .No one is talking about United Kingdomers .
                          The full name of the country is, "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland." "Britain," "GB," and, "The UK," are common abbreviations, and mean the same thing. Great Britain is a geographical term referring to the largest island in the archipelago.

We are British Citizens, or - less commonly - Britons, this refers to ANY citizen of the UK, whether from Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland (the whole point of, "The Troubles," in Northern Ireland was that one side wanted to remain British Citizens, while the other wanted to be part of the Republic of Ireland) or Cornwall.
                          Last edited by the ace; 27 Jun 19, 13:31.
                          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

• You repeat what I was saying : Morel is wrong by saying that the citizens of NI are Irish .

Comment

You repeat what I was saying : Morel is wrong by saying that the citizens of NI are Irish .
                              No I don't - you appear to be too dumb to appreciate the difference between geographic and political designations. look I'll make it mind boggling ly simple with an example. Citizens of Canada and the USA are both American because they live in North America but Canadians are not American citizens

Comment

Not quite correct you are referring to the Kingdom of Great Britain which is a legal and political designation. - the 1707 act created a union between the Kingdom of England, the Principalities of Wales and Cornwall and the kingdom of Scotland. Great Britain is a geographical definition and refers to the main Island that contains England, Wales, Cornwall and Scotland

Although Cornwall is a Duchy it counts as a principality
                                Cornwall, Jersey, Guernsey, Man, Wight -- you can't blame a fellow if the status of some of those "principalities" gets a tad confusing. A few years back I had to wire money to a client in Jersey, and for the love of God I didn't know if their bank in the Channel Islands was considered to be in the "United Kingdom," or some other jurisdiction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Channel Islands' parliament refer to Queen Elizabeth as "notre duc"? Not duchess, and not in English.
                                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X