Tragedy in Budapest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragedy in Budapest

Last night a small sightseeing boat carrying primarily South Korean tourists cut in front of a large river cruiser near the Hungarian Parliament buildings on the Danube. The river cruiser ended up overrunning the sightseeing boat which immediately sank. Police report so far at least 7 dead have been recovered from the river, with another 21 missing. Some of the dead were found drifting already more than a mile downstream. Police have launched a criminal investigation, but since the crew of the sightseeing boat are among the missing it is doubtful charges can be laid. None of the tourists were wearing life vests. Daily News Hungary has posted CCTV video showing the moment when the accident occurred.

https://dailynewshungary.com/ship-co...investigation/

BBC coverage with some background
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48454409
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Horrible news.
      My thoughts are with all those affected.

Comment

Police now saying the Ukrainian captain of the Swiss-registered river cruiser may face charges. Ships from the same Swiss company have been involved in several other collisions over the past few years. Meanwhile, three more bodies found way downstream in the Danube. Death total now 10 but little hope for the remaining 18 missing.

Comment

My condolences to the Victims and their Families.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Seems like the bigger boat just run over the slower (and smaller) boat
            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
              Seems like the bigger boat just run over the slower (and smaller) boat
              That is what investigators are now substantially saying - that the smaller boat did not veer into the way of the larger craft, but that the larger ship simply overran the smaller one. But in addition to that, once the first river cruiser had overrun and capsized the smaller vessel, another river cruiser followed right behind the first one, making it almost impossible for anyone to flee the submerged vessel.

Comment

The beautiful blue Danube looks pretty crowded. Maybe some sort of traffic restrictions/laws/cops could help?
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Unless they have something else especially specified for that area then COLREGs or their national equivalent should still be in effect. So there are 'traffic rules'.
                  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Hungarian police have taken the captain of the river cruiser into custody.

Comment

I hope they took a blood test from the Captain immediately after the incident.
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

As I expected, it took only a few days for the opponents of Orban to vulture the tragedy : Hungarianspectrum from 1 June .said that the accident was the responsibility of Orban and that the emergency services were incompetent .

Comment

It seems like Viking River Cruises has had a Teflon reputation until now. I remember a few years ago, they had a couple of crew members decapitated because they didn't wait until a drawbridge was raised. I wonder if that will change now?

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                            It seems like Viking River Cruises has had a Teflon reputation until now. I remember a few years ago, they had a couple of crew members decapitated because they didn't wait until a drawbridge was raised. I wonder if that will change now?
                            I was a passenger on a Hilton Nile Cruiser many years ago when one of the engine room crew went berserk and stabbed someone. Although we did have some Belgian passengers none of them were needed to apply deductive powers to the incident.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                              As I expected, it took only a few days for the opponents of Orban to vulture the tragedy : Hungarianspectrum from 1 June .said that the accident was the responsibility of Orban and that the emergency services were incompetent .
                              The boat sank in 7 seconds and no one was wearing life vests. The river is presently above average height with a strong current, it was nighttime, and it was raining with a haze on the river. Most of the tourists were in their 50s and 60s. Not sure how the emergency services could have rescued anybody.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X