Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eine Kliene Schadenfreude

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eine Kliene Schadenfreude

    With the current political incompetencies in the UK we can take a little pleasure in observing a political train wreck in another European country - namely Austria. The Austrian vice chancellor and leader of part of the ruling coalition the extreme far right 'Freedom' party has been filmed talking to what he believed was the niece of a Russian Oligarch and offering to provide lucrative government contracts in return for said oligarch purchasing one of Austria's news papers, booting out some 'awkward' journalists and turning the paper to support the FP. As a result the coalition has been dissolved by the Chancellor, the government has fallen and elections are now to be held.

    The ex vice chancellor has issued a statement saying that he wasn't being corrupt he had merely been very drunk at the time! Gosh how reassuring for the Austrian public to learn that a senior member of government was merely a boozed up idiot and not corrupt at all. Given that the film shows that a senior member of his party was present at the time one can only conclude that getting off ones face and making dubious offers to foreign businessmen is party policy.

    The no doubt now sober former VC has obviously never heard of Healey's rule "When in a hole stop digging" as he is now trying to sue an Austrian lawyer who helped set up the sting.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

  • #2
    In vino veritas springs to mind
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      With the current political incompetencies in the UK we can take a little pleasure in observing a political train wreck in another European country - namely Austria. The Austrian vice chancellor and leader of part of the ruling coalition the extreme far right 'Freedom' party has been filmed talking to what he believed was the niece of a Russian Oligarch and offering to provide lucrative government contracts in return for said oligarch purchasing one of Austria's news papers, booting out some 'awkward' journalists and turning the paper to support the FP. As a result the coalition has been dissolved by the Chancellor, the government has fallen and elections are now to be held.

      The ex vice chancellor has issued a statement saying that he wasn't being corrupt he had merely been very drunk at the time! Gosh how reassuring for the Austrian public to learn that a senior member of government was merely a boozed up idiot and not corrupt at all. Given that the film shows that a senior member of his party was present at the time one can only conclude that getting off ones face and making dubious offers to foreign businessmen is party policy.

      The no doubt now sober former VC has obviously never heard of Healey's rule "When in a hole stop digging" as he is now trying to sue an Austrian lawyer who helped set up the sting.
      1 When the film was made and the 2 Liberal politicians were drinking, they were not yet members of the government thus it was not so that a senior member of government was drunken, besides Juncker was always boozed .
      2 There was no offer for lucrative contracts ( the FP was still in the opposition ) in return for purchasing a newspaper, but the politicians offered contracts after the false Russian oligarch niece ( probably an agent of the BND ) offered to help the FP in its election campaign .Nothing for free in this world .
      3 The Austrians have seen worse, much worse : a former VP minister of interior who was filling his pockets as MEP ,and fell in a trap of British journalists,who, pretending to be lobbyists, offered him money in return for his intervention .
      Or the construction of a hospital which initially would cost 1 billion of schilling ,but costed 45 billion . The SP mayor of Vienna wanted his pockets to be filled .But he had never enough .
      All this had little influence on the results of the election,and it is probable that the FP scandal also will have little influence .In 2011 the socialist PM himself was involved in a scandal .
      4 Maybe an Austrian member could write something about the corruption in Whitehall : all these MP's who presented false declarations of expenses , or the leader of the liberal party who hired a killer to eliminate someone who was blackmailing him .
      This Austrian member also would have eine grosse Schadenfreue .

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ljadw View Post
        besides Juncker was always boozed .
        I would rather wonder when was the last time Juncker wasn't boozed. In his cradle, probably.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, apologism all over again. Deflection, red herrings, it's not so bad, others are worse. Jeez, pathetic.
          "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

          Comment


          • #6
            ,
            Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            With the current political incompetencies in the UK we can take a little pleasure in observing a political train wreck in another European country - namely Austria. The Austrian vice chancellor and leader of part of the ruling coalition the extreme far right 'Freedom' party has been filmed talking to what he believed was the niece of a Russian Oligarch and offering to provide lucrative government contracts in return for said oligarch purchasing one of Austria's news papers, booting out some 'awkward' journalists and turning the paper to support the FP. As a result the coalition has been dissolved by the Chancellor, the government has fallen and elections are now to be held.

            The ex vice chancellor has issued a statement saying that he wasn't being corrupt he had merely been very drunk at the time! Gosh how reassuring for the Austrian public to learn that a senior member of government was merely a boozed up idiot and not corrupt at all. Given that the film shows that a senior member of his party was present at the time one can only conclude that getting off ones face and making dubious offers to foreign businessmen is party policy.

            The no doubt now sober former VC has obviously never heard of Healey's rule "When in a hole stop digging" as he is now trying to sue an Austrian lawyer who helped set up the sting.
            I hate to be a spelling Nazi here but if you want to quote someone or use it in the headline of an OP in another language, please use the correct spelling, several times I have noticed that one is trying to impress people on this forum with a foreign language they are misspelling words, and that impresses no one, I speak and write German, I was taught by the US Army, I also speak French and Vietnamese, and I absolute can't stand when someone is trying to impress people with a foreign language just to show how educated they are.
            BTW Your signature by Schiller makes absolutely no sense to me.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

            Comment


            • #7
              About this train wreck ; the exit polls did forecast a loss of 2.5 % for the FP ;Corbyn and May would sell a lot of peerages to have such a result .
              About the ,expected, appellation of far right, the SP,especially Bruno Kreisky, Jewish, had no objection to collaborate with these ''hidden nazis '', as a poster( probably a reader of the Guardian ) was calling the FP. The same Kreisky praised Haider .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rutger View Post
                Well, apologism all over again. Deflection, red herrings, it's not so bad, others are worse. Jeez, pathetic.
                Pathetic post .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rutger View Post
                  Well, apologism all over again. Deflection, red herrings, it's not so bad, others are worse. Jeez, pathetic.
                  He means that the corruption cases in the Netherlands are not so bad,that those in Austria are worse
                  Harry Keizer, Robin Lindschoten, Matthieu van Sint Truiden,..
                  An Advocate General with as mission to investigate and prosecute fraud cases,... who was convicted of tax evasion .
                  That's something for a Hollywood Movie ,Holder could be the Advocate General .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    With the current political incompetencies in the UK we can take a little pleasure in observing a political train wreck in another European country - namely Austria. The Austrian vice chancellor and leader of part of the ruling coalition the extreme far right 'Freedom' party has been filmed talking to what he believed was the niece of a Russian Oligarch and offering to provide lucrative government contracts in return for said oligarch purchasing one of Austria's news papers, booting out some 'awkward' journalists and turning the paper to support the FP. As a result the coalition has been dissolved by the Chancellor, the government has fallen and elections are now to be held.

                    The ex vice chancellor has issued a statement saying that he wasn't being corrupt he had merely been very drunk at the time! Gosh how reassuring for the Austrian public to learn that a senior member of government was merely a boozed up idiot and not corrupt at all. Given that the film shows that a senior member of his party was present at the time one can only conclude that getting off ones face and making dubious offers to foreign businessmen is party policy.

                    The no doubt now sober former VC has obviously never heard of Healey's rule "When in a hole stop digging" as he is now trying to sue an Austrian lawyer who helped set up the sting.
                    The coalition was not dissolved by the Chancellor, the FP ministers were leaving, and not because of the scandal, but because Kuntz wanted to fire the FP minister of interior and to replace him by one of the VP: the minister of interior is the boss of the police and secret services .And the VP wanted to use the opportunity to get them back .
                    The government has not fallen , not yet , but it could be that the SP and of course the FP will this week vote down the government .
                    Last point : what current political incompetencies in the UK ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ljadw View Post


                      Or the construction of a hospital which initially would cost 1 billion of schilling ,but costed 45 billion .
                      Can you post more details on this please?
                      A hospital that cost 45 billion Euro?!

                      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                        Can you post more details on this please?
                        A hospital that cost 45 billion Euro?!
                        Not 45 billion euro but 45 billion schilling .

                        In 1957 it was decided to build a new hospital for Vienna ( Algemeine Krankenhaus der Stadt Wien );the work began in 1964 and ended in 1994 .
                        Initially the costs were estimated on 1 billion schilling or 72 million euro,finally it was 4.5 billion euro .
                        The hospital is to big only 60 % is used .
                        And there were the usual bribery scandals in which politicians were involved .
                        Last edited by ljadw; 27 May 19, 04:16.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ljadw View Post

                          Not 45 billion euro but 45 billion schilling .
                          So they were going to build a hospital for E72 million? It must have been a very small hospital.
                          They ended up spending E3.27 billion. That sounds about right if it was a large hospital with operating theatres, diagnostics, cancer treatment (Nuclear Medicine) and specialist wards.
                          So what happened, was it a small really expensive hospital or did the plans change and a larger hospital was built instead? You don't give enough information for your comment to mean anything.
                          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another scandal was about the purchase of Airbus and Eurofighter aircraft in 2003 : 2 billion euro bribery.
                            At least, that was what was saying later the socialist minister of defence ( the 2003 minister belonged to the VP )

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

                              So they were going to build a hospital for E72 million? It must have been a very small hospital.
                              They ended up spending E3.27 billion. That sounds about right if it was a large hospital with operating theatres, diagnostics, cancer treatment (Nuclear Medicine) and specialist wards.
                              So what happened, was it a small really expensive hospital or did the plans change and a larger hospital was built instead? You don't give enough information for your comment to mean anything.
                              It was too big, as I already mentioned , megalomania or corruption : the bigger the hospital, the bigger the costs, the bigger the costs the bigger the bribe .
                              1 billion of Schilling which is the equivalent of E 72 million was a lot of money in 1964.
                              There are some 10000 people ''working '' in this hospital .
                              And to have some patients, people from Romania were transported for lung transplantation .
                              No one cared about the costs, there would always be sufficient money and, besides, it was only the money of the tax-payer, not the money of the politicians .
                              From an investigation it resulted that '' mistakes '' in the planning costed 500 million schilling, a few managers were condemned, but the socialist politicians of course not : Kreisky,who was PM from 1970 til 1983 ,used the scandal to fire a dangerous rival : his minister of finance, who became later the director of the Credit Anstalt ,the biggest b ank of Austria .

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X