Bloody Sunday soldier to face murder charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
    I find that very hard to believe. Given the substance of your posts here I certainly canít believe that anyone was ever stupid enough to put you in charge of anything.
    He is from Texas.
    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

I agree. Those who ordered them in and those who covered up the culpability of the Paras should also have faced charges as theirs was the greater crime.
      Certain parties, both in the military and government, had been aching for an excuse to give the Paddy's a dose of the Parachute Regiment...
      a real case of being careful what you wish for.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...AvNEVuQx106Mxg
      Last edited by Von Richter; 19 Mar 19, 12:08.
      The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Your bigoted trolling comments aside you obviously know nothing about what the Saville enquiry actually looked at, or who the other members of the team were.
        I know judges.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.
        Actually, I do, and you know it, which is why you hang on my every word.

I find that very hard to believe. Given the substance of your posts here I certainly canít believe that anyone was ever stupid enough to put you in charge of anything.
        You find a great number of very ordinary things to be difficult.

I think that comment says more about you than the Irish. Thankfully what actually gained us our freedom was the public opinion of the ordinary British people when they saw the brutal and oppressive nature of the British occupation of Ireland.
        The British gave you your freedom. In the end, it only took 600 years and a lot of begging. In the annuals of the Empire, the Irish's 'freedom' is without a doubt the most pathetic.

The truth is that after 600 years the Brits finally accepted that the Irish would never be any more than they always have been: nothing.

In the entirety of the Irish saga, the English/British are the heroes.

From your our comments here I take it that you thought that the Black civil rights movement was just a bunch of ni**er trash who should have been gunned down as well?
        What a racist! How can you compare MLKs peaceful protests within the system to the murderous terrorists that are the Irish? MLK's efforts are a triumph of peaceful protest and humanity's expression of hope, unmatched in history.

The Irish, on the other hand, are simply a bunch of murderous inbred cowards.

Now you'll read what I have written. And quote it, because deep down, you know that I am right.

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

I know judges.

Actually, I do, and you know it, which is why you hang on my every word.

You find a great number of very ordinary things to be difficult.

The British gave you your freedom. In the end, it only took 600 years and a lot of begging. In the annuals of the Empire, the Irish's 'freedom' is without a doubt the most pathetic.

The truth is that after 600 years the Brits finally accepted that the Irish would never be any more than they always have been: nothing.

In the entirety of the Irish saga, the English/British are the heroes.

What a racist! How can you compare MLKs peaceful protests within the system to the murderous terrorists that are the Irish? MLK's efforts are a triumph of peaceful protest and humanity's expression of hope, unmatched in history.

The Irish, on the other hand, are simply a bunch of murderous inbred cowards.

Now you'll read what I have written. And quote it, because deep down, you know that I am right.
          you an idiot and a bigot and a racist. I am wasting my time responding to your ignorant idiotic trolling comments.
          in future Iíll only respond when the grown ups comment.
          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Certain parties, both in the military and government, had been aching for an excuse to give the Paddy's a dose of the Parachute Regiment...
              a real case of being careful what you wish for.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...AvNEVuQx106Mxg
              Wow, so some people think that if a soldier murders someone or rapes someone etc they shouldnít face criminal charges, that they should be above the law of the land.
              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

you an idiot and a bigot and a racist. I am wasting my time responding to your ignorant idiotic trolling comments.
                in future Iíll only respond when the grown ups comment.
                Much as I hate to say it, AJR is best committed to permanent "ignore".

the only rational explanation for his ranting is that America recruits a lot of police officers of Irish descent, and during his supposed career, he has been reproved - by his betters....
                The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Wow, so some people think that if a soldier murders someone or rapes someone etc they shouldnít face criminal charges, that they should be above the law of the land.
                  Stop talking daft lad.

The long toll of the brave
                  Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Had he ever faced a herd of hostile inbred Irish tenement trash?

Had he ever had to make the decision to shoot or don't shoot?

.................................................. .......................
                    There is a slight problem with this in that the Parachute Regiment wasn't the only British army regiment in Londonderry attempting to help police a riot (and it was a riot not a civil rights protest as is so often claimed-- although most if not all of those killed may not have been taking part in the rioting) the Royal Greenjackets were also very close to the Paras position.

Guess how many rounds they fired? nil

People killed by them? nil.
                    Cymru am Byth

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post

There is a slight problem with this in that the Parachute Regiment wasn't the only British army regiment in Londonderry attempting to help police a riot (and it was a riot not a civil rights protest as is so often claimed-- although most if not all of those killed may not have been taking part in the rioting) the Royal Greenjackets were also very close to the Paras position.

Guess how many rounds they fired? nil

People killed by them? nil.
                      Isn't the Parachute Regiment normally over-achievers?

The Regiment isn't on trial. No one was charged for 47 years. Now, suddenly, after half a century, one ex-private is brought up on charges for something that wasn't considered a crime at the time.

If it were an effort at justice, the scores of IRA murderers laying low in Ireland would be in the dock as well.

The rule of law is only the rule of law if a determined effort is made to ensure it applies to everyone in a timely fashion.

This is just political drama. None of the participants give two pence about a herd of Irish tenement trash getting shot 47 years ago, any more than they care about Irish tenement trash today. This is about political maneuvering, personal ambition, and ego-building.

It is silly to pretend it is anything else.

Comment

. No one was charged for 47 years. Now, suddenly, after half a century, one ex-private is brought up on charges for something that wasn't considered a crime at the time.

I can tell you that there have been a number of TV investigations 'over the years' and information that contradicted the 'Official' account was always available. It was considered a crime 'at the time' but it was covered up. I remember one investigation which had interviews with a number of soldiers from the Regiment (still have it on an old Philips N1700 VCR tape)and it was clear that a number of the shooters were believed to have been out of control with accounts confirming some soldiers carried extra ammunition that they did not have to account for after the shootings. Only an idiot (or in this case a troll) who knows nothing of the history of the cover-ups would claim it 'wasn't considered a crime at the time'

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Much as I hate to say it, AJR is best committed to permanent "ignore".

the only rational explanation for his ranting is that America recruits a lot of police officers of Irish descent, and during his supposed career, he has been reproved - by his betters....
                          There is another rational explanation - a member of a conquered people and a failed culture who desperately wants to identify with his conquerors, lashing out at people who actually had the spine to fight their conquerors for centuries and centuries until they gained their independence.

Read enough posts and you see the pattern - side with the powerful, deride the powerless. I am reluctant to judge because my people had the guts to keep fighting or at least establish new lives with greater freedom. I can't imagine what it must be like living in the ruins of a once proud culture. What might that do to a person?
                          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Whatever went wrong in Ireland can't be attributed to conquest alone. The English after all were subjugated by Normans. Why isn't French the language of the British isles?

Some parallels can be drawn with Scotland which also continues to have National aspirations. One factor to consider is geography. Consider terms such as Balkinization, hillbilly or clannish. The first two have obvious geographical references and the third comes from the rugged country of Scotland. Low population density and isolation breeds a kind of affinity for "clan" mentality and resistance to assimilation.

Assimilation can work both ways. The Mongolian and Norman conquers were both assimilated into the culture of the conquered. That could not happen in Ireland and Scotland because the conquerors went home leaving shattered tribal relationships and minimal government order. In a way you see the same pattern in Native Americans who were isolated from the surrounding culture but retained a degree of self rule, neither independent nations nor part of the surrounding political system. In the case of the Irish and Native Americans it isn't mountains but distance from centers of power and wealth that encouraged isolation.

All the aforementioned groups have psychological traits in common. Some of those traits are alcohol abuse, an emphasis on honor, alien religious traditions, and a disdain for authority. Terrorism as a political tool will have a natural home in that environment. Excessive force will be the absent conqueror's response. Force that would not be used against people you lived with.

​​​​​​

We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                              Whatever went wrong in Ireland can't be attributed to conquest alone. The English after all were subjugated by Normans. Why isn't French the language of the British isles?
                              Well, to some degree - it is, not just the Isles but also the Americas and other colonies btw

https://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tp...3TnrHndLI.html

Furthermore, English spelling was changing as French scribes used French spelling for English words.6 For example, the letter "c" began to be used to represent both the "s" and the "k" sound in English, and the "u" sound was sometimes represented by an "o" under French influence, which may explain why son rhymes with sun.7 Later, English orthography was further complicated by changes in pronunciation that were not accompanied by changes in spelling.
                              Old English remains central to how English is spoken todayóboth at an informal level and at the highest level. Yet French is very much a part of how English speakers communicate with each other. English legal and business jargons are heavily infused with words of French origin. A large number of plain English words, such as beef, join and pass, are also of French origin. Furthermore, the fact that many words of Old English origin have near equivalents of French origin contributes to the wealth of synonyms with varying connotations in English. French has therefore made a rich contribution to the English language.
                              English was the official language of England, but it had changed so much that it barely resembled Old English.
                              Last edited by Snowygerry; 22 Mar 19, 04:56.
                              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Stop talking daft lad.

Not a very erudite response.
                                Is that the best you can do?
                                the petition you linked to seeks to make the British armed forces immune to prosecution for crimes they commit while in uniform. Therefore, in your opinion, what part of my response was incorrect?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X