Bloody Sunday soldier to face murder charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Sunday soldier to face murder charges

One of the soldiers who shot dead unarmed civilians in Derry on Bloody Sunday in 1972 is to face murder charges.
    It is a start but it is a shame the commanding officers from that day are not facing charges as well.
    What is remarkable is the number of people who think members of the armed forces should not be held to account for murdering unarmed civilians during a civil rights march in their own country.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Maybe there is some change of the UK doing the honourable thing in relation to the Ballymurphy Massacre where, in a suburb of Belfast in 1971, the Parachute Regiment committed it's first mass murder of the Troubles when they killed 10 unarmed civilians.

Maybe, but nobody really expects justice. Why would they?
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

What about all the ****ing IRA murderers now walking about free?

****ing justice my arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post

****ing justice my arse.
        That's a valid point; murder is murder and anyone who murdered someone during the troubles should face murder charges.
        I do make a distinction between people who killed someone who was shooting at them and people who killed unarmed civilians. Do you?

A suspected IRA terrorist, accused of murdering two soldiers in 1972, was arrested in Ireland a few weeks ago and is facing extradition to the UK. If found guilty I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.

Comment

****ing justice my arse.
          To add;
          Do you think that soldiers and police officers should be help to a higher standard that terrorists?

Comment

****ing justice my arse.
            If you check the original testimony of the soldier charged, his actions and what his comrades said about him then you might see things differently.
            But I guess its the 'one of ours can do no wrong' mentality. So far 2 serving soldiers have been convicted of murder in Northern Ireland.

A quiz:
            Does anyone know which is the only western Nation that allows convicted murderers back into service when they have served their sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

That's a valid point; murder is murder and anyone who murdered someone during the troubles should face murder charges.
              I assume you mean anyone against whom a sustainable charge could be laid. There is an old English concept of innocent until proved guilty which I thought Ireland had also adopted.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I hope he is acquitted. It is absurd to harass a soldier for what he did 47 years ago.

Given the nature of the times, every member of the IRA and the like-minded cowardly groups should be in prison before the first Brit goes on trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  I hope he is acquitted. It is absurd to harass a soldier for what he did 47 years ago.
                  Indeed.
                  Firing indiscriminately into a group of unarmed protesters is no big deal. They were all probably members of the cowardly IRA anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    I assume you mean anyone against whom a sustainable charge could be laid. There is an old English concept of innocent until proved guilty which I thought Ireland had also adopted.
                    I assumed a sufficient level of intelligence in the reader of my post as to not require such explanation. Oh, and the presumption of innocence is not just an English concept. A thousand years before the Magna Carta we had such concepts in Irish law, along with the king being subject to the law.

Comment

Originally posted by m kenny View Post
                      Indeed.
                      Firing indiscriminately into a group of unarmed protesters is no big deal. They were all probably members of the cowardly IRA anyway.
                      Certainly the brave IRA firing discriminately at soldiers from behind a group of unarmed protesters is no big deal.

Comment

Certainly the brave IRA firing discriminately at soldiers from behind a group of unarmed protesters is no big deal.
                        Yup.

The Irish called the tune, and cried when it came time to pay the fiddler.

You cannot set off nail bombs on Friday and play the martyr on Sunday.

Comment

Lord Saville disagrees with you. He concluded that none of the victims was armed or posing a threat. A number were shot in the back, one was shot while waving a white handkerchief as he went to help another victim and one was shot dead while lying incapacitated on the ground as a result of a previous shot. Lord Saville was scathing of the soldiers, calling many out as liars. He also concluded that the IRA started firing after the Paraís had hit most or all of their victims.

as you probably know I loath the IRA but that doesnít justify what the forces of the British Crown did that day or worse, how they covered it up afterwards and sullied the names of their victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

You cannot set off nail bombs on Friday and play the martyr on Sunday.
                            You should read the results of the Enquiry. It is official-the people shot were unarmed civilians who did not fire at anybody. In fact if you ever bother with any research you can also explain how one of the murdered civilians had no nail bombs sticking out of his trouser pockets when picked up by an Army vehicle but by the time he got photographed later in the same army vehicle huge nail bombs suddenly appeared sticking out his trouser pockets.
                            Last edited by m kenny; 18 Mar 19, 08:47.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Lord Saville disagrees with you. He concluded that none of the victims was armed or posing a threat. A number were shot in the back, one was shot while waving a white handkerchief as he went to help another victim and one was shot dead while lying incapacitated on the ground as a result of a previous shot.
                              The problem for the Paras was to account for their ammo expenditure. It led to the absurd claim that an Army 'marksman' saw a IRA sniper firing from near the top of a block of flats and he fired 16(?) rounds at the 'sniper' in the window. Later examination found no bullet-marks either in the room or any hits around the outside of the window. Obviously this soldier lied about what he fired at and invented the sniper claim to cover his crimes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X