X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
    Fairly straightforward - somewhat similar to the method they used with the HNoMS Oslo in 1994. Norwegians have experience on this, i'm just not quite sure if that is a good or a bad thing...
    Good point...

Leave a comment:

• Vaeltaja
    replied
    Fairly straightforward - somewhat similar to the method they used with the HNoMS Oslo in 1994. Norwegians have experience on this, i'm just not quite sure if that is a good or a bad thing...

Leave a comment:

• Achtung Baby
    replied
    This is how they plan to retrieve it.

https://navaltoday.com/2018/12/05/in...unken-frigate/

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
    Saw a report yesterday that the ship will be salvaged and then assessed if it’s worth saving.
    I wonder how much of the total cost of a warship is in the electronics and weapons systems?

Leave a comment:

• Achtung Baby
    replied
    Saw a report yesterday that the ship will be salvaged and then assessed if it’s worth saving.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    So w----r what did you find so GD funny to post a laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Achtung Baby
    replied
    At least the remaining frigates will light up like lighthouses now, in order to avoid a recurrence of this.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Ouch! So much for salvaging the electronics...

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    Ooops

20181113jo_1016_1-1000x666.jpg

Guess there won't be too much to salvage now.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Maybe if Norway decides to replace it (they should but probably won't) NZ can piggyback onto the order (they won't). It's about the smallest, most capable ship in anyone's catalog right now.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Well, if the frigate was testing its stealth capability, I'd say it was working.
    I'm reminded of a WW1 account. Apparently German recce aircraft were told to look out for mobile pigeon lofts as if these had moved to a new location it indicated a shift of an Allied command centre (HQ) which would presage a new offensive action. The French cottoned on to this and started camouflaging the vans so that German aviators couldn't find them. This was successful but the pigeons couldn't find them either!.Sometimes one can take stealth too far.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Well, if the frigate was testing its stealth capability, I'd say it was working.

Leave a comment:

• Vaeltaja
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    Let me guess - Their insurance didn't cover that.
    Navy ship - no insurance. Government acts as the guarantor.

Noticed this: Radar Images & Audio Log of KNM Helge Ingstad Frigate — Sola TS Oil Tanker Collision - excerpts from the audio log and radar screen images of the events leading to the collision with English translations (noticed couple of minor errors in it, like 00:25 it is not saying the unknown target is on the port but 'slightly on the port'). Actual radar video + radio audio log is on Norwegian news site VG: Slik var de dramatiske minuttene da KNM «Helge Ingstad» krasjet i «Sola TS». Kinda strange events. I wonder if there was shift change going on - after all it was pretty much at 0400 in Norwegian time. On the other hand some reports state that the frigate was running through navigational exercises at the time.

Even stranger is that the frigate may have been running completely dark (not just AIS turned off). The tug (Ajax) sent to assist the KNM Helge Ingstad was initially unable to locate it at all.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Let me guess - Their insurance didn't cover that.

Leave a comment:

• Vaeltaja
    replied
    Looking at the damage on the tanker (on the right side front anchor) and the frigate (on the right side rear) and keeping in mind the time of the accident and the direction of travel (frigate being southbound and the tanker northbound)... All pure postulation of course... It seems like the ships were on head-on collision course - and tanker turned what it could to right and frigate turned left.
    Last edited by Vaeltaja; 10 Nov 18, 13:39. Reason: oops...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X