No announcement yet.

HNoMS Helge Ingstad (F313) collision with tanker Sola TS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least the remaining frigates will light up like lighthouses now, in order to avoid a recurrence of this.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

So w----r what did you find so GD funny to post a laugh.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Saw a report yesterday that the ship will be salvaged and then assessed if itís worth saving.
        Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Saw a report yesterday that the ship will be salvaged and then assessed if itís worth saving.
          I wonder how much of the total cost of a warship is in the electronics and weapons systems?

Comment

This is how they plan to retrieve it.

https://navaltoday.com/2018/12/05/in...unken-frigate/
            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Fairly straightforward - somewhat similar to the method they used with the HNoMS Oslo in 1994. Norwegians have experience on this, i'm just not quite sure if that is a good or a bad thing...
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                Fairly straightforward - somewhat similar to the method they used with the HNoMS Oslo in 1994. Norwegians have experience on this, i'm just not quite sure if that is a good or a bad thing...
                Good point...

Comment

Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Well, looks like the only option open for them was using the ship for spare parts for the other frigates. Between $11 and $45 million worth of spares could be used.
                    The cost of rebuilding the HNomS Helge Ingstad was estimated to be around $1.6 billion over 5 years. Back in 2000 this ship cost $500 in the five ship deal with Navantia.
                    In addition to blaming the vesselís lack of watertight integrity for the sinking, the report points to the two shipsí watchstanders as the main factors in the collision itself.
                    Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

The final report (which may be supplemented later on) will be released on November 8 though so until then the matter is still open. Apparently the Royal Norwegian Navy tries to place the blame on the tanker having deck lights still on - which IMO could be considered somewhat reasonable (since they may hide the navigation lights) had the frigate not been repeatedly warned of the collision risk. We shall see how it turns out.
                      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

In a perfect world, they could tag onto the USN FFGx order if the F100 derivative is chosen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                          Ooops

20181113jo_1016_1-1000x666.jpg

Guess there won't be too much to salvage now.
                          I'm sure it'll buff out.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                            Well, looks like the only option open for them was using the ship for spare parts for the other frigates. Between $11 and $45 million worth of spares could be used.
                            The cost of rebuilding the HNomS Helge Ingstad was estimated to be around $1.6 billion over 5 years. Back in 2000 this ship cost $500 in the five ship deal with Navantia.
                            In addition to blaming the vesselís lack of watertight integrity for the sinking, the report points to the two shipsí watchstanders as the main factors in the collision itself.
                            Well, then, aside from the Captain and both watchstanders being sacked (the Captain should Always be sacked IMHO for failure to train/supervise the crew adequately), maybe the next group of frigates the Norwegians get will have more emphasis on watertight integrity.

I find a lack of watertight integrity somewhat odd for a ship that would spend its whole life operating out of cold water ports where the likelihood of running into an errant chunk of ice or three would be relatively high. You'd think that the hull would be made a bit extra tough to guarantee that a submerged rock in a fjord or large ice chunk wouldn't cause any sort of severe damage.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Well this wouldn't happen to the Irish Naval Service... we don't have any Frigates.
                              "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                              validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Well, then, aside from the Captain and both watchstanders being sacked (the Captain should Always be sacked IMHO for failure to train/supervise the crew adequately), maybe the next group of frigates the Norwegians get will have more emphasis on watertight integrity.

I find a lack of watertight integrity somewhat odd for a ship that would spend its whole life operating out of cold water ports where the likelihood of running into an errant chunk of ice or three would be relatively high. You'd think that the hull would be made a bit extra tough to guarantee that a submerged rock in a fjord or large ice chunk wouldn't cause any sort of severe damage.
                                As far as I'm aware the problem of persisting leaking was actually the result of some of the design choices done by the Spanish Navantia group which constructed the frigates in question.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X