Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you so interested in another country's politics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

    My thoughts as well!
    Didn't you vote for the status quo with Cruz. SOS.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • #32
      To be fair though there is always an interest in American politics simply because you're one of the biggest economyies in the world. If America sneezes we all catch a cold.

      History will be out on Trump as to him being a good president or a bad one. Sometimes you need someone to stir things up. Whether now is one of those times is going to fill masses of bookshelves in a thousand libraries.
      "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
        To be fair though there is always an interest in American politics simply because you're one of the biggest economyies in the world. If America sneezes we all catch a cold.
        Is it that simple though? Of course there's a lot of interconnectedness, today moreso than ever, but does every little blip in the US cause ripples in the UK or Europe? And how about those times when it works in reverse? Late-'90s default in Russia and the Asian Tiger currency crisis were not DC's or Motown's or Wall Street's doing. Maybe you blokes should be broadening your gaze.

        Or perhaps you don't think that your politics suck enough. Case in point:

        Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
        History will be out on Trump as to him being a good president or a bad one. Sometimes you need someone to stir things up. Whether now is one of those times is going to fill masses of bookshelves in a thousand libraries.
        Like as not they'll Gordon Brown his a$$.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

        Comment


        • #34
          Slick has another hard time to understand how things work in rest of the world...
          There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

          Comment


          • #35
            They have meaningless lives.
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

            ~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
              They have meaningless lives.
              90% of us feel that way at one time or another.
              The other 10% are ego-maniacs.


              And as for the rest of the world's interest, maybe I am a typical American (and the opposite of a Russian) in that it creeps me out, more than a little.
              No joke, it is a little like being a nation in a fishbowl, with everyone looking in.
              Every day, it seems that this world leaves fewer and fewer options for people who just want to be left alone.
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

              -Captain Jack

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

                And as for the rest of the world's interest, maybe I am a typical American (and the opposite of a Russian) in that it creeps me out, more than a little.
                No joke, it is a little like being a nation in a fishbowl, with everyone looking in.
                Every day, it seems that this world leaves fewer and fewer options for people who just want to be left alone.

                "There is only one thing on the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

                  90% of us feel that way at one time or another.
                  The other 10% are ego-maniacs.


                  And as for the rest of the world's interest, maybe I am a typical American (and the opposite of a Russian) in that it creeps me out, more than a little.
                  No joke, it is a little like being a nation in a fishbowl, with everyone looking in.
                  Every day, it seems that this world leaves fewer and fewer options for people who just want to be left alone.
                  Most are liberal shits that want globalization which is vile in my opinion. They are anarchists that need to be informed to plot the next attack.
                  My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

                  ~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                    Is it that simple though? Of course there's a lot of interconnectedness, today moreso than ever, but does every little blip in the US cause ripples in the UK or Europe? And how about those times when it works in reverse? Late-'90s default in Russia and the Asian Tiger currency crisis were not DC's or Motown's or Wall Street's doing. Maybe you blokes should be broadening your gaze.

                    Or perhaps you don't think that your politics suck enough. Case in point:



                    Like as not they'll Gordon Brown his a$$.
                    I'd have thought so. If only because the first wave of books about him will be written by people who despise him.
                    ​​
                    Give it seventy years and there might be a bit of balance.
                    "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post

                      I'd have thought so. If only because the first wave of books about him will be written by people who despise him.
                      ​​
                      Give it seventy years and there might be a bit of balance.
                      Since he hasn't really done anything yet, I'm not sure that there's any body of accomplishment upon which a legacy can be built.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                        We're using the word "style" rather broadly, aren't we.
                        Well yes. I can't help thinking that it's all contrived-an act- to outflank the intellectuals (pseudo or otherwise) ,proving that he's really a "man of the people".

                        Mind you, he's not unique in that. Many politicians in this country seem go out of the way to prove their ordinaryness. Mr Trump does it better than most,perhaps.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          I'm a pretty regular listener to BBC World News. At least two or three times a week I listen to their broadcast, and I've listened for quite a number of years. This year more than I can recall in the past, US politics has dominated their content. Today, after a solid 90 minutes, they've spoke of nothing but yesterday's midterm election. To be frank I can't recall any British or European election getting this kind of coverage from the Beeb. What gives? Are you blokes more interested in our lousy politics than you are with your own? Or are you just voyeurs by nature?
                          The smart arse in Me wants to say its watching a slow motion car crash, and the Pessimist wants to say that when the US sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold, but to be honest the media saturation comes down to entertainment ratings. The old showbiz saying is 'You cant argue with popularity, and if you do you'd be wrong' is true. The more people listen, the higher the ratings, and the more coverage it gets.

                          So I'm voting for people being genuinely entertained by politics.
                          One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

                          "The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                          Wu Cheng'en Monkey

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Why so much coverage of American politics?
                            People like reality TV. There's a reality TV star running the USA.
                            "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                            validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Chukka View Post



                              So I'm voting for people being genuinely entertained by politics.
                              In much the same way as people used to go to Bedlam to be amused by the lunatics or to Tyburn to be entertained by the hangings.
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                                Since he hasn't really done anything yet, I'm not sure that there's any body of accomplishment upon which a legacy can be built.
                                Seriously, I think its the way he behaves. We're used to American politicians saying one thing and doing another. Now, there's one who actually seems to be trying to do what he promised in the election. Now God knows I'm not clever enough or knowledgeable enough to figure out if he's right to be trying to do any of it. But even if he doesn't manage to accomplish anything he's probably changed the world a lot more than most of his predecessors, apart from Ronald Reagan, simply by opening his mouth. There was a nice little stable status quo. Now there isn't. Could this be a bad thing? Definitely.
                                Could it be a good thing? Just as definitely.

                                God knows he seems to behave a little randomly and to be honest he comes across as a bit of a dick and the sort of guy who if you walked into a tunnel with him he would come out wearing your shoes.

                                Things are going to be different though.






                                "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X