Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you so interested in another country's politics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karri View Post
    I think you have been listening to too many conservatives here. People are not walking around going "hey, this trash hasn't been emptied, DAMN USA!" or "damn immigrant caravans from USA invading our country!". It's more like "oh that idiot decided to continue his trade war, guess that's gonna have an impact on world wide economy".
    Are you sure about that? Take Greece, for example: they blame Citigroup for their recent fiscal collapse -- while carefully omitting mention of their own, self-grown, fiscal irresponsibility.

Mexican officials blame US parties for the preponderance of illegal firearms in their country, claiming that 90% of weapons seized are from US sources. The truth, however, is a little less melodramatic:

The truth is that less than 12 percent of the guns Mexico seized in 2008 have been verified as coming from the United States. The proof can be found in the U.S. government statistics that the STRATFOR report explains below

https://www.nssf.org/report-shatters...os-gun-supply/
    Plenty of Europeans here go on about how the US deliberately discouraged Western Europe's desire to fund her own defense -- yet Macron's recent proposal to inaugurate an EU military force, and the silent response to it -- should render such claims laughable. Need I go on, or are you getting the point yet? With the big bad US in town, anything and everything imaginable can be blamed on those dirty Yanquis. Surely you can admit that, from a political point of view, there's nothing more convenient than having a scapegoat readily at hand.

And since Trump's trade wars are going to cost the US far more than anyone else. should you all be kissing The Donald's hairy beanbag for giving you such an unprecedented competitive advantage, as well as so willingly playing the perfect scapegoat?

Think of it this way: there was nothing that hard-core loser Germans loved more than Herr Schicklegruber pointing a bony finger of blame at Germany's Jews: it absolved them from any responsibility for their loserness. Old white Americans love Donald Trump for fingering dirty criminal rapist Mexicans: absolved the Archie Bunker crowd from responsibility for siring too few kids to keep Social Security solvent. Likewise, it's a godsend to 'most everyone else that the US is the world's last remaining superpower: now their mantra can be "it's not our fault -- it's America's!"
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I think you have been listening to too many conservatives here. People are not walking around going "hey, this trash hasn't been emptied, DAMN USA!" or "damn immigrant caravans from USA invading our country!". It's more like "oh that idiot decided to continue his trade war, guess that's gonna have an impact on world wide economy".
      There's that, plus the fact that ,like him or not, Mr Trump has great entertainment value.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

There's that, plus the fact that ,like him or not, Mr Trump has great entertainment value.
        I wouldn't call Pres Trump entertaining. I'd say that he's more compelling than entertaining, like a car crash.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I wouldn't call Pres Trump entertaining. I'd say that he's more compelling than entertaining, like a car crash.
          Perhaps, but he certainly has a style all is own.
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Are you sure about that? Take Greece, for example: they blame Citigroup for their recent fiscal collapse -- while carefully omitting mention of their own, self-grown, fiscal irresponsibility.

Mexican officials blame US parties for the preponderance of illegal firearms in their country, claiming that 90% of weapons seized are from US sources. The truth, however, is a little less melodramatic:
            Am not Mexican or Greek though; purely speaking from Finnish viewpoint in this case. Worth noting that what the politicians say and who they blame, and why the people watch news are not the same.

Plenty of Europeans here go on about how the US deliberately discouraged Western Europe's desire to fund her own defense -- yet Macron's recent proposal to inaugurate an EU military force, and the silent response to it -- should render such claims laughable. Need I go on, or are you getting the point yet? With the big bad US in town, anything and everything imaginable can be blamed on those dirty Yanquis. Surely you can admit that, from a political point of view, there's nothing more convenient than having a scapegoat readily at hand.
            Of course, I never claimed politicians and people don't like scapegoats. But that doesn't mean everyone goes around blaming the US elections about everything just because we are interested in the outcome. The only thing I have seen here about European defence spending is from US members blathering how we use US money to fund our social security programs and how we are all communists.

And since Trump's trade wars are going to cost the US far more than anyone else. should you all be kissing The Donald's hairy beanbag for giving you such an unprecedented competitive advantage, as well as so willingly playing the perfect scapegoat?
            No, because it's a loss for everyone.

Think of it this way: there was nothing that hard-core loser Germans loved more than Herr Schicklegruber pointing a bony finger of blame at Germany's Jews: it absolved them from any responsibility for their loserness. Old white Americans love Donald Trump for fingering dirty criminal rapist Mexicans: absolved the Archie Bunker crowd from responsibility for siring too few kids to keep Social Security solvent. Likewise, it's a godsend to 'most everyone else that the US is the world's last remaining superpower: now their mantra can be "it's not our fault -- it's America's!"
            There are plenty of things that USA gets blamed for, but that doesn't mean it's all we do. In Finland the subject pretty much only comes up with the Climate Change issues.
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

USA is a superpower with global presence in more than one way. What happens there affects us, what happens here has no effect on you.
              And that's why you all watch the Kardashians

The fact is that for a lot of people the USA is just more interesting than their own countries and neighbours.

Comment

Perhaps, but he certainly has a style all is own.
                We're using the word "style" rather broadly, aren't we.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post

The fact is that for a lot of people the USA is just more interesting than their own countries and neighbours.
                  That's sad, really friggin' sad . . . .

Comment

You've never been to Scandihoovia.

Comment

^ Once, to Norway. Had me some fun in Norway.

Comment

Like Don Rickles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFJgDtDupJg

Butt Trump isn't funny nor amusing.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Like Don Rickles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFJgDtDupJg

Butt Trump isn't funny nor amusing.
                          Saw Mr Warmth once, at Foxwoods in Connecticut. Funny as hell. Much funnier than The Donald.

Damn John. Now you've got me waxing all nostalgic for all those great comics who did Johnny Carson when I was a kid. For Don Rickles my folks let me stay up late. Another one missed is Buddy Hackett. His nose hair bit still puts me in stitches.

Comment

Saw Mr Warmth once, at Foxwoods in Connecticut. Funny as hell. Much funnier than The Donald.

Damn John. Now you've got me waxing all nostalgic for all those great comics who did Johnny Carson when I was a kid. For Don Rickles my folks let me stay up late. Another one missed is Buddy Hackett. His nose hair bit still puts me in stitches.
                            So many other great ones gone. How did we live without the Swamp People, Pawn Shops, Duck Dyaansty

and other great present day hit such a NJ House Wives and the #1 The Carddshians. Gesh, I could rather suffer through the Lawrence Welk Show

Something else, when did the word F>U>C>K become OK everyday language?

FKn vulgar as Trump

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post

Nah, for that we have the crazy brexit people. Never know what those goofballs are up to.
                              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
                                The British media want world politics to be working in the way they think it ought to be working. The facts of Brexit in the UK and the US electing Trump run exactly opposite of how they belive the world should be working and are extremely upsetting to them and they are desperate to find any sign no matter how faint that the last year has been a demented nightmare and things are going to get back to what they would class as normal.
                                My thoughts as well!
                                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X