Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
    List of Swiss Federal referenda on wiki and they all seem to be simple Yes/No options.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_referendums
    You could be right.

I looked at one called the "Federal popular initiative against mass immigration" in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_S...ion_initiative

The question asked was indeed binary, "Do you accept the federal popular initiative against mass immigration ?"

On the other hand the "initiative" itself was quite well detailed and included the specific articles of law to be changed and how, all on 1 single page.

https://www.bk.admin.ch/ch/f/pore/vi/vis413t.html

If only Brexit could have been handled like that, it would be done by now..
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Britain is the powerhouse of the EU?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS04VJz21rg

Comment

Hey that site is biased!
        No doubt yes.

Still thinking about it, also given what happened last night, I feel a new referendum may be where you're heading - the fellow may have a point.

It sort of makes sense, and maybe the only way out of the deadlock.

There are 3 realistic options on the table, May's proposal, No deal Exit, and simply Remain.

Put those before the general public, and pick the one with the most votes ?

It appears your MPs are voting for all sorts of reasons, but have no incentive to end the political crisis (it's their livelihood after all),

the public doesn't have to worry about being (re)elected, they just want to see this farce end.
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 11 Apr 19, 04:17.

Comment

• So Brexit has been pushed out until October. This will be a long thread by then!
          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• I should have put money on this 3 years ago, what will be first, a picture of a Black Hole, or Brexit.

Sadly I'm getting only a single pint, for each year it drags on now.

A second EU referendum before the end 2019: 13/8 (Paddy Power) 7/4 (Coral) 7/4 (Ladbrokes)
            That's not much is it ?

Listen to your Bookies, they know what's good for you

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/801830...-latest-today/
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 11 Apr 19, 04:26.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Still thinking about it, also given what happened last night, I feel a new referendum may be where you're heading - the fellow may have a point.

It sort of makes sense, and maybe the only way out of the deadlock.

There are 3 realistic options on the table, May's proposal, No deal Exit, and simply Remain.

Put those before the general public, and pick the one with the most votes ?
              I think another referendum on the same subject should really be off the cards. I bet the Swiss don't do it.

If there has to be a new referendum and there are three choices, they could be: 1. Customs Union, 2. WTO Rules, 3 Withdrawal Agreement.

Comment

I think another referendum on the same subject should really be off the cards. I bet the Swiss don't do it.
                Should, and was, but the longer it drags on, the less "decisive" the first will be perceived.

If there has to be a new referendum and there are three choices, they could be: 1. Customs Union, 2. WTO Rules, 3 Withdrawal Agreement.
                What about the half of your population (The People you know ) that opposed Brexit from the start ?

But you have point, the discussion about the phrasing of the question is likely to be as difficult as Brexit itself.

Comment

• I think that the EU should give the UK a 3 year extension so that they can agree on the wording of a new referendum. Then another 1 year to discuss the result. Then, if the result is to leave, a further 3 to 5 years to negotiate the new Brexit.
                  By then Corbyn and May will be gone and, hopefully the blustering cowardly mop-headed windbag and snivelling character from the nightmare of a Victorian child will also be gone.
                  "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                    I think that the EU should give the UK a 3 year extension so that they can agree on the wording of a new referendum. Then another 1 year to discuss the result. Then, if the result is to leave, a further 3 to 5 years to negotiate the new Brexit.

By then Corbyn and May will be gone and, hopefully the blustering cowardly mop-headed windbag and snivelling character from the nightmare of a Victorian child will also be gone.
                    But that means of course that during that period Britain will IN the EU, with all ramifications that follow from that.

It is worth pointing out an inconsistency in the Brexit logic here..

The main objection to May's deal, was that it involved a clause (the Backstop), that could, maybe, lead to Britain staying in the EU for longer than some intended.

It now seems clear that objecting to May's deal, ALSO leads to Britain staying in the EU for longer than some intended.

So why object to the deal ?
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 11 Apr 19, 07:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by m kenny View Post
                      Britain is the powerhouse of the EU?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS04VJz21rg
                      That was like watching an EKG machine.
                      You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

• You'll live, only the best get killed.

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                          So Brexit has been pushed out until October. This will be a long thread by then!
                          By that time, it is hoped that Parliament will agree that Iceland should stay right where it is.
                          You'll live, only the best get killed.

Comment

So why object to the deal ?
                            As Rex Harrison said in 1964 "Logic isn't even tried"..

Comment

• My Fair Lady ? I had to look for that one.

Why can't a woman be a chum?
                              Why is thinking something women never do?
                              Why is logic never even tried?
                              Straightening up their hair is all they ever do.

https://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/s...yfairlady.html

Comment

My Fair Lady ? I had to look for that one.

Why can't a woman be a chum?
                                Why is thinking something women never do?
                                Why is logic never even tried?
                                Straightening up their hair is all they ever do.

https://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/s...yfairlady.html
                                That's the one. You can't beat a bit off sexism. He'd have that Theresa May sorted out quick time!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X