Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post

There is an old quote, made famous in May 1940 that applies equally to May -

"You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God- go!"
    Unfortunately the rules mean she can not be challenged until December.
    I suggest you come up with a new plan as that one simply won't work.

Comment

Public spending in Scotland is 16% higher than the UK average. It is the Scots who are taking the rest of the country's money...............
      Is there no end to the leeches sucking the life out of merry old England?

The looney Brexiteer's have adopted Del and Roders slogan :
      This time next year (after Brexit and all the leeches have been ditched) we will be millionaires!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp5hxHPlTq8

Comment

• Originally posted by Emtos View Post

Whatever The Ace is saying or hoping : the reality is that Scotland is not an independent state, opposite to Eire,and as long it is no independent state, it will not be a member of the EU . Thus The Ace will have to wait.
        And, there was a referendum in Scotland about independence and the result was negative .
        Thus The Ace will have to wait .
        Catalonia and the Basks also will have to wait .
        The Ace has a tendency of assuming that his wishes are reality ; there is a word for = wishful-thinking .

Comment

• Originally posted by the ace View Post

Obviously. Neither is Germany, or France, or Italy, or anyone else. Scotland voted by nearly 2:1 to REMAIN in the EU, but every attempt by her representatives at Westminster to voice legitimate concerns have been ignored. The EU has stood behind Dublin throughout this entire mess, and Ireland has HAD to be taken into account (much to Westminster's chagrin).

The Brexiteers howled about, "Taking our country back," meaning they didn't want foreigners coming in, and forgetting entirely that there was nobody to take it back from. It wasn't Brussels, though, that introduced austerity, the bedroom tax, or universal credit. It isn't Brussels that takes our revenue and gives us pocket-money back, it isn't Brussels that runs up debts we don't want in our name, and it isn't Brussels that parked its nuclear arsenal 20 miles from our biggest city.
          All this is irrelevant for the Brexit thread .

Comment

• Europe consists of independent nations only ( L'Europe des Nations ) and they will not , never be subordinated to an anti-democratic institution as the EU, as it is today, sadly enough.People as Juncker have arrogated to themselves the right and the power to dictate the European nations what they must do,what they should say, etc, etc and the European elections are only a farce : nothing will change : the Eurocrats will continue to take away more and more from our freedom .The big responsibles are the traitors and Quislings in Paris, London, Berlin, etc .
            But a day will come, which is nearer than most people think, that the peoples of Europe will say : enough is enough and the EU will suffer the fate of the USSR and the other multicultural states .

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
              I'd rather Swiss democracy came to us!

Ever greater democracy strikes me as a lot better than 'ever closer union'.
              Well it could have.

When the Swiss go out to vote they vote on detailed proposals of law or amendments, that are consequently enacted by a representative assembly.

They have coalitions and assemblies on the federal, cantonal and municipial level.

You have only the "Ayes" and the "Nays", and a rather primitive majority system compared to the Swiss, and when coupled with a defective, ill thought-out referendum, as it was, a recipe for disaster.

It would be ironic though that the ultimate conclusion of the British/English nationalists after three years, is that they want to be more like Switzerland, of all things

Ever greater democracy...
              Since I share a democracy with the likes of Emtos and Ljadw, I'm very happy we have "mechanics" in place that ...eh.. dilute their vote a bit, if you don't mind me saying so..

I'm no big fan of the majority
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 10 Apr 19, 07:21.
              Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

It's no secret that Scotland is about to re-open the independence question, and will almost certainly be re-admitted (if not simply remain) in the EU - the EU's support of Eire has seen to that.
                You've been trying for 600 years. You haven't been able to even vote yourselves out.

Do it, then tell us about it.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Since I share a democracy with the likes of Emtos and Ljadw, I'm very happy we have "mechanics" in place that ...eh.. dilute their vote a bit, if you don't mind me saying so..

I'm no big fan of the majority
                  Translation :
                  mechanics that prevent the majority of having the majority , Snowygerry prefers the rule of the minority as it was in the SU and other people's democracies .He is nostalgic of the period before WWI when the rich and learned had more votes than the Deplorables .

Comment

Well it could have.

When the Swiss go out to vote they vote on detailed proposals of law or amendments, that are consequently enacted by a represantive assembly.

They have coalitions and assemblies on the federal, cantonal and municipial level.
                    Yes, its terrific.

You have only the "Ayes" and the "Nays", and a rather primitive majority system compared to the Swiss, and when coupled with a defective, ill thought-out referendum, as it was, a recipe for disaster.
                    What disaster? If you want to see a proper EU related UK disaster it was John Majors spastic attempt to be part of the the Euro by first joing the Exchange Rate Mechanism. Compared to the damage inflicted by that, this is relative fun,

Swiss referenda are by their nature binary in choice though aren't they? I think they do not repeat the same question in referenda a few years after as well ...

It would be ironic though that the ultimate conclusion of the British/English nationalists after three years, is that they want to be more like Switzerland, of all things
                    I don't know anything about British/English nationalists but it is my belief that more power going to the people directly is a good thing. Makes a for a more mature thinking people and a happier and wealthier society. IMO.

Comment

What disaster ?
                      Well your/their inability to implement the result of the referendum obviously.

Comment

https://researchbriefings.parliament...ummary/SN04033

Public spending in Scotland is 16% higher than the UK average. It is the Scots who are taking the rest of the country's money. If it hadn't been for two profligate Scottish PMs there would be no need for austerity.
                        Yes, we p*ss*d away 40 years of oil revenue well, somebody did. I'm not even going to dignify that old chestnut (disproved a hundred times) with a reply.

Oh and slick_miester , anyone with the most cursory glance at History knows why the EU was set up.
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Swiss referenda are by their nature binary in choice though aren't they ?
                          I'm certainly no expert, I believe we have members here who may be able to tell us more.

A quick search though, reveals the Swiss will vote on anything, but of course since it's Switzerland none have any consequences for anyone but the Swiss.

Three issues were on the agenda on November 25, for the final set of votes in 2018: A proposal to put the Swiss constitution above international law, legal measures aimed at boosting the powers of social welfare detectives as well as an initiative to promote cows with horns.
                          Nay

Horns with cows on the other hand...

Edit, a good comparison here :

https://medium.com/reformermag/the-s...s-d3c4d9af13a4

In other words, it was more of a notion (leaving the EU) than a law or a specific proposition since one can, for example, leave the EU but remain a member of the European Economic Area. The lack of details within the original proposition is one of the main reasons why the Brexit process has become such a mess.
                          In the Swiss model, it would be after a proposition had been submitted to Parliament that it would go out to a Referendum and have three options: a Yes option for the original proposition — Hard Brexit, A Yes option for the Government's proposition — yet undecided, and, finally, a No/Remain option.
                          So, no not binary apparently..
                          Last edited by Snowygerry; 10 Apr 19, 07:29.

Comment

Oh and slick_miester , anyone with the most cursory glance at History knows why the EU was set up.
                            Yes: so that Germany could do economically what it failed to do militarily.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Yes: so that Germany could do economically what it failed to do militarily.
                              You should take a cursory glance at history and try answering that again.
                              "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                              validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Hey that site is biased!

List of Swiss Federal referenda on wiki and they all seem to be simple Yes/No options.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_referendums

Three options in a referendum and it is said that the voters always choose the middle one.

The majority of Cantons needing to pass a vote as well as the majority of voters is nice, but Leave would still have passed in the UK as well with that (assuming England would count as several cantons). 0 Links

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X