Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

So those leading the public debate in favor of Brexit are actually the most asinine of the lot. The guys who speak before large audiences, who appear on television, those who present arguments on the floor of the parliament, whose job is to sway opinion and formulate policy -- they're the dumbest of the Bexiteers. Yet those MPs and Northern Ireland Secretaries and some of the others, they're ELECTED officials. Thousands of Regular Joe's -- people exactly like me and you -- made the volitional choice to vote for these a$$holes. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if you're voting for someone to represent your interests in the halls of power, to represent your stance on a given issue, then you'd vote for someone who is eloquent, who is persuasive, someone who presents at least an image of intelligence and competence, someone who doesn't come across as a "blithering idiot"? What am I not understanding here?

No, it's not an Irish or British thing: we've seen plenty of that kind of action here in the US, as well. Why are people choosing to elect obvious mouth-breathers to responsible offices? I don't get it, not at all.
    Bradley is actually a Remainer.

The Brexit leaders are Boris Johnson and Rees Mogg.

Javid and Hunt have converted from being Remainers to being Brexiteers.

TM is a Remainer.

The problem problem from the British side has been that the negotiations have been led by those who don’t want to leave.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Bradley is actually a Remainer.

Javid and Hunt have converted from being Remainers to being Brexiteers.

TM is a Remainer.

The problem problem from the British side has been that the negotiations have been led by those who don’t want to leave.
      I may not be familiar with the various figures' stances, but I do know that if a public official in the UK or Eire ( ) says "I didn't know that Nationalists and Unionists didn't vote for each other," then I'm compelled to question the competence not only of said official, but I'm going to question the competence of the voters who elected that official, as well. Admit it: that's a real special brand of stupid.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Boris Johnson? The man who supported remaining right up to the moment when he figured out that he might be able to get leadership position with leaving. Only thing he seems to be aiming for is what it is in it for Boris Johnson, not supporting the interests of the UK or even those of the Tory party. You are likely to find endless litany of places where Boris Johnson completely contradicts himself. Sure it is your country - but i would not trust person such as him to carry out the trash, let alone to run the country.

Reed Mogg on the other hand seems to desire to turn back the time to 19th century - after all that is what is 'remove regulations' stuff is all about. Making sure worker rights are revoked. Even the one economist who he got 'sponsoring' his group's Brexit plan managed in the end to utter the fact out that following the path would 'mostly eliminate manufacturing' in the UK (that it would be in the UK's interests to do so) and agriculture would go down with it. I guess the idea is that economy would restructure itself but you can see it yourself by looking at the run down industrial towns of the UK that it won't. If it would then those places would be booming with high tech stuff - but they aren't. Then again he is clearly somewhat detached from the ordinary folk - he did his first election campaign with his nanny after all (and when people wondered that he said something that using a valet would not have been strange...)
        No. It really is not. Nothing would have changed had there been more pro-leave people in there. The fantasies sold to the people at the referendum were just fantasies - that May can not fulfill is not her fault. Regardless of how incompetent i perceive her to be. The problem lies with the people who made those claim. Let's just say that It takes a very special kind of person to not to shoulder the responsibility for making such bogus claims in such a referendum (and this is one of the things Tusk meant).
        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

To be fair Bradley has always been known as being a bit thick. Put into her position because of her loyalty to TM.
          Pretty sure most countries have some similar ministers.
          Very true.
          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• There has been quite a lot of talk by the Brexiteers about the Swiss and how they do fine outside the EU and how they don't have border issues. To be clear Switzerland;
            • It a member of Schengen and accepts free movement of people so doesn't need passport checks.
            • Does have customs checks
            • Does pay into the EU budget
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Same goes with the suggested Norway-Sweden or Norway-Finland border models (FYI there are even joint customs officers in Norway-Finland border). Norway by the virtue of the EEA agreement has access to the single market (the famous four freedoms) and is a member of the Schengen Area as well as participant to the Nordic Passport Union. And they do pay into the EU budget as well. Sure there is technology already in testing there which might in the future work as some of the solutions for the land border on the island of Ireland but not yet. And it still wouldn't cover the UK being outside of the single market either since such solutions are not needed in the aforementioned Nordic borders. Also those borders are only frictionless if you are not carrying goods/freight over it.

I really wonder what is going to happen next. There seem to be rather strange UK assumptions that by dragging on to the final moments PM May might force the UK parliament to support the extension to the article 50 (aka kicking the can further down the road) but the problem is that UK parliament can not unilaterally decide that (the EU member states would need to unanimously agree to that). So that is a dead end.

Any ideas? Any opinions? How do the Irish see the situation at the moment? If there is to be no-deal situation how would the Irish people feel about the border? I seem to recall that there has already been demands for unification referendum if that were to occur but that is largely irrelevant at the moment - since the referendum would take some time to organize some interim border solution would be required regardless.
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                (…)
                Any ideas? Any opinions ?
                Here it seems that most are now preparing for a no deal exit.

New customs officers are being recruited, companies are offered help with border formalities etc..

About 20,000 companies across Belgium that still don’t have an EORI number will automatically receive one soon, Minister of Finance Alexander De Croo said last week. Those firms must then respond by giving the name of the person at the company who’s authorized to handle customs matters. Customs authorities will then contact the top 5,000 companies that trade with the UK to check they’re making progress with the application.
                https://www.diamonds.net/News/NewsIt...2%80%99+Brexit

How to prepare for a ‘no-deal’ Brexit ?

These are the most pressing issues you should be addressing tax and social security wise. (…)
                https://www.bdo.be/en-gb/news/2018/h...no-deal-brexit
                High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• From Britain’s point of view by far the best result in the table is to walk away with no deal. Thus the strategy of the government should be, and possibly is, to prevaricat as much as possible, ensure that the deal on offer from the EU is completely unacceptable and will be voted down by Parliament and leave on 29th March without a deal.

if anything the EU’s greed has facilitated this. As long as the deal is as one sided as it is it won’t be acceptable, will be rejected and Britain wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Here it seems that most are now preparing for a no deal exit.

New customs officers are being recruited, companies are offered help with border formalities etc..

https://www.diamonds.net/News/NewsIt...2%80%99+Brexit

https://www.bdo.be/en-gb/news/2018/h...no-deal-brexit
                    A no deal exit probably suits most of the EU countries as well. The people it doesn’t suit are the greedy Eurocrats and their flunkies who will have to look elsewhere for someone to pay for their extravagant life styles.

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Please tell me that you made those up. It's inconceivable that people in responsible positions should believe -- let alone utter -- such mind-numbing nonsense. If elected leaders are to be such fools, then why not vote for any old schmo on the street, a vagrant, a drug addict, a village idiot? What would be the difference? Pray tell that you made those lines up, lest you shake my faith in human politics.
                      This is why Scotland is gearing up for Indyref2, and looking to stay in the EU (who are quite happy to accept us). The vote was intended as a sop to the nut-jobs on the fringe of the Conservative party. The theory went that the vote would result in a decisive, "Remain," vote, and the issue could be kicked into the long grass.

The fact that the government had to deliver Brexit with no idea how, just shows how much of a clusterborach this whole thing was.
                      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

• The impact of aa no deal Brexit on the Irish economy would be very significant in specific areas but minimal overall.
                        GDP growth this year will be 4.1% (it was 5.9% last year). With a no deal Brexit it will be about 2.6% next year. If there is a deal it will be 4.1%. GNI is a better measure of growth for our economy and it is much lower (3.1% in 2017) but is also far less exposed to the impact of Brexit.
                        Either way unemployment will drop below 5% next year.I'm not too worried.

Comment

From Britain’s point of view by far the best result in the table is to walk away with no deal. Thus the strategy of the government should be, and possibly is, to prevaricat as much as possible, ensure that the deal on offer from the EU is completely unacceptable and will be voted down by Parliament and leave on 29th March without a deal.

if anything the EU’s greed has facilitated this. As long as the deal is as one sided as it is it won’t be acceptable, will be rejected and Britain wins.
                          And then... what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                            And then... what?
                            My guess is ..…. May will "come to Brussels" and we negotiate some more ?
                            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

From Britain's point of view by far the best result in the table is to walk away with no deal. Thus the strategy of the government should be, and possibly is, to prevaricat as much as possible, ensure that the deal on offer from the EU is completely unacceptable and will be voted down by Parliament and leave on 29th March without a deal.
                              I haven't seen anything which would support that opinion. Economically it is the worst of choices - or at the very least the worst of the ones seen so far. It doesn't really gain the UK anything and in order to get trade deal with the EU the UK would need to pay the divorce settlement regardless - so it doesn't benefit economically either. It may even destabilize the UK itself and cause both Scotland and the Northern Ireland to separate from the UK. That is I'm not quite convinced that economic devastation and potential shattering of the UK would be 'by far the best result' for the UK.

IMO in the long run it would be better choice for the UK - if it actually wants to be out of the EU which is doubtful at this point - to rescind the article 50 for the time being. And then seriously start planning for an orderly Brexit several years down the line - and not to restart the article 50 process until the solutions to the currently seemingly unsolvable problems (like the Irish border) actually exist and are verified. If the Brexit is required now then committing to May's deal seems to be the next best thing - it is mostly the same as the above only that instead of committing to the process only after solutions really exist it would rely fully on hoping that solutions would become reality at some point in the future.
                              if anything the EU's greed has facilitated this. As long as the deal is as one sided as it is it won't be acceptable, will be rejected and Britain wins.
                              I seriously doubt any one wins in such a scenario. However the EU's negotiating stance has nothing to do with greed. The EU is just not interested in committing a suicide (to offer terms better than membership to a non-member, or to destroy the integrity of the single market) to facilitate UK's wishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                                I haven't seen anything which would support that opinion. Economically it is the worst of choices - or at the very least the worst of the ones seen so far. It doesn't really gain the UK anything and in order to get trade deal with the EU the UK would need to pay the divorce settlement regardless - so it doesn't benefit economically either. It may even destabilize the UK itself and cause both Scotland and the Northern Ireland to separate from the UK. That is I'm not quite convinced that economic devastation and potential shattering of the UK would be 'by far the best result' for the UK.

IMO in the long run it would be better choice for the UK - if it actually wants to be out of the EU which is doubtful at this point - to rescind the article 50 for the time being. And then seriously start planning for an orderly Brexit several years down the line - and not to restart the article 50 process until the solutions to the currently seemingly unsolvable problems (like the Irish border) actually exist and are verified. If the Brexit is required now then committing to May's deal seems to be the next best thing - it is mostly the same as the above only that instead of committing to the process only after solutions really exist it would rely fully on hoping that solutions would become reality at some point in the future.

I seriously doubt any one wins in such a scenario. However the EU's negotiating stance has nothing to do with greed. The EU is just not interested in committing a suicide (to offer terms better than membership to a non-member, or to destroy the integrity of the single market) to facilitate UK's wishes.
                                Project Fear

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X