No announcement yet.

Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The leavers and those resigned to leaving just wanted a good deal. May's plan wasn't it.
    Corbyn wants an election and some remainers want another referendum for a different result.

1601-MATT-GALLERY-WEB-P1-small_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
      The leavers and those resigned to leaving just wanted a good deal.
      Any chance they'll send someone else then ?

It's a bit strange they keep voting in May, and at the same time vote down the proposals she comes up with.

Obviously she believed her deal was a good one...

Can't you send someone to negotiate with a proposal that IS backed up by a majority of the house ?
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Can't you send someone to negotiate with a proposal that IS backed up by a majority of the house ?
        Canada+++ plus some tweaks always seemed a good idea to me.

The problem is that if it came from a Brexiteer PM there might be enough Tories who prefer a Corbyn government

Comment

• CETA ?

Something that has been considered apparently, but has never been fully explored…

It’s being called Ceta +++. Nobody knows what’s supposed to be in the +++ because the UK hasn’t officially adopted this position.
          The Irish border? Errm, technology. And may be we’ll agree some checks away from it and, erm… Ceta +++ doesn’t help that issue any more than Chequers.
          https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8552166.html

It does not remove border controls, but it encourages the use of advanced electronic checking to speed customs clearance.
          Canadian financial companies will not get "passporting", which would allow them to sell their products across the 28 nations of the EU. The same limitations apply for EU banks in Canada.
          Several other agri-products will be given quotas. For instance, the EU will allow Canadians to export increasing amounts of duty-free meat to the EU - up to 80,000 tonnes of pork, 50,000 tonnes of beef - as well as 100,000 tonnes of wheat.
          https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45633592

Why not.
          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

CETA ?

Something that has been considered apparently, but has never been fully explored…

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8552166.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45633592

Why not.
            Yep, the UK could even make some concessions on freedom of movement in return for free trade in services and something.

Still Theresa May's an idiot and the EU Commission probably don't want a successful Brexit so No Deal most likely at this stage.

Comment

• Well you can't really expect May to negotiate anything but the deal she believes is in the UK's best interest, especially considering the fact she opposed Brexit from the start, and really only inherited Camerons failure. (Anyone heard from that one recently ?)

That's my question after all, why send May time after time, only to shoot her down when she returns home, it's like watching torture

Work out a proposal some 60-70% of your house can agree to and then send someone to negotiate with the EU.

Imho delay of the Brexit date, March 29th was it (?) Is the most likely outcome now..

Comment

• Originally posted by BF69 View Post

The NC vote is on, but I'm not convinced it will get up. If there is one thing the Tories & the DUP can all agree on it is that they don't want Corbyn in No.10. Labour, the SNP & a few others can get a bit over 300 votes. If the Lib Dems join in they can get close to the Tories, but the DUP will stay staunch. It will still take a number of Tories to sit out the vote for May to lose.

I suppose we will find out how much the Brexiteers hate May.
                I would love to belive it. The problem being that at the moment a sizable chunk of the Tories are behaving like the poster children for inbreeding. I think that there is a possibility that they could force a no confidence vote hoping to get one of their own in as pm and blow the election letting Corbyn in via the back door.
                You have to laugh really.
                "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Well you can't really expect May to negotiate anything but the deal she believes is in the UK's best interest, especially considering the fact she opposed Brexit from the start, and really only inherited Camerons failure. (Anyone heard from that one recently ?)
                  Smart toff, that one. Like as not he's he's sitting under an umbrella in Punta del Este, sucking down martinis, and laughing his a$$ off.

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                  That's my question after all, why send May time after time, only to shoot her down when she returns home, it's like watching torture
                  This one's plain. Why should any one else in British politics -- Labour, Tory, LibDem, DUP, et al, stick their necks out for such an obvious loser of an issue? Theresa May was stupid enough to volunteer to fill Cameron's shoes after he left, so they're all happy enough to leave her there. Sure, they'll pepper her all the live-long day, but that's her job now, to be the receptacle for all of Brexit's sh*t. Think of her as a human toilet for political dung. As crazy as it sounds, she volunteered to be a rape victim -- and I can't imagine that there's anyone in Westminster stupid enough to relieve her of that role.

My question is, why does Corbyn oppose UK membership in the EU? Tories paint the EU as the greatest socializing instrument since COMINTERN. Wouldn't that make Red Jeremy salivate with malicious anticipation? Or is he showing his true, bigoted, colors by opposing the internationalist cosmopolitan EU?
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    Tories paint the EU as the greatest socializing instrument since COMINTERN.
                    They do indeed but that doesn't make it true. The EU is strong on protecting the rights of the individual citizen. It is therefore understandable that a bunch of privately educated marble-mouthed toffs Tory bankers and financiers have an inherent dislike off it.

The Tory Little-Englanders want to return England (and her hinterlands) to the darkie-free 1950's. Corbyn wants to return it to the 1930's and have the great workers revolution.
                    Has the UK ever been led by a worse mob of donkeys?

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                      They do indeed but that doesn't make it true. The EU is strong on protecting the rights of the individual citizen. It is therefore understandable that a bunch of privately educated marble-mouthed toffs Tory bankers and financiers have an inherent dislike off it.
                      Perhaps more than any other sector, doesn't the UK's financial services industry benefit greatly from EU membership?

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                      The Tory Little-Englanders want to return England (and her hinterlands) to the darkie-free 1950's.
                      It would appear that they have a friend in Donald Trump. Rimshot

Corbyn wants to return it to the 1930's and have the great workers revolution.
                      Has Labour already started drawing up those proscription lists yet?

Has the UK ever been led by a worse mob of donkeys?
                      That's a matter of opinion. I'm sure that Corbynites still bemoan Thatcher of the real Anti-Christ.

Comment

Perhaps more than any other sector, doesn't the UK's financial services industry benefit greatly from EU membership?
                        Yes, but the City is also the real centre of all the dark money that flows through so many of the world’s tax havens. The latest EU anti money laundering directive which requires the establishment of a register of beneficial owners of Corporations and Trusts must be transposed into National legislation no later than January 2020 so the boys from the City want to be well out of the EU by then.

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        It would appear that they have a friend in Donald Trump. Rimshot
                        Indeed, kindred spirits.

Has Labour already started drawing up those proscription lists yet?
                        I wouldn’t be surprised, Comrade.

That's a matter of opinion. I'm sure that Corbynites still bemoan Thatcher of the real Anti-Christ.
                        Probably.

"Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                          Yes, but the City is also the real centre of all the dark money that flows through so many of the world’s tax havens. The latest EU anti money laundering directive which requires the establishment of a register of beneficial owners of Corporations and Trusts must be transposed into National legislation no later than January 2020 so the boys from the City want to be well out of the EU by then.
                          A little dark money versus sh*tloads of bright money?

To tell the truth, "The City" boys will go with the bright money -- and the EU rules with which it's attached -- every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They'll always try to skim, of course, but ultimately, they know which side of their bread is buttered. Sorry, but I can't see The City leading the Brexit charge. In fact, I'd think quite the opposite.

That still doesn't answer my initial question, however: why is Corbyn for "leave"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bow View Post
                            I think the Britexers are in for a rude awakening in the world......your Empire went tits up in 1947 and other smaller countries have departed the so called Commonwealth, so if you think things will be like it was before, dream along.trade treatys are not arranged over night and take many years to arrange....you do not get a first place in the line up when dealing with say, Canada just because you were a member of the Commonwealth ...take a number and wait to be called......if you are dealing with that dick head Trump, no special deal for you in his "America First".....you backed out of paying your portion of EU expenses so you cant be trusted. so what gives you the impression you can just demand trade concessions......Good luck boys you will need it.....to show my disgust with the UK and its stupid decission I have returned my dual citizen (Canadian/British) passport and wont be visiting that sad little island set in a silver sea...

Toulon France..
                            OTOH bow- there's Boris Johnston's dream......
                            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

But isn't that sort of thing the main reason why citizenship is retained rather than repudiated ?
                              It's really not about transitory political events: these things frequently go awry, and ,even now, nobody seems to know how Brexit will pan-out. It's a mess.
                              Surely citizenship is about culture, shared history, tradition,Auld Lang Syne, perhaps.
                              and - Morris Dancing....
                              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

A little dark money versus sh*tloads of bright money?

To tell the truth, "The City" boys will go with the bright money -- and the EU rules with which it's attached -- every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They'll always try to skim, of course, but ultimately, they know which side of their bread is buttered. Sorry, but I can't see The City leading the Brexit charge. In fact, I'd think quite the opposite.

That still doesn't answer my initial question, however: why is Corbyn for "leave"?
                                It's the Tory City boys I'm thinking of, not all the people in the City though it is, in effect, the biggest hub for dirty money in the world.
                                Source
                                BRITAIN likes to see itself as a leader in the fight against illicit finance and corruption. The government has recently been talking even tougher, as worsening relations with Russia have focused attention on the number of oligarchs who have interests in London.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X