Brexit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
    Oh, you want the Canada? Well, just maybe you should have said so then.

And preferably before pledging a bunch of things that pretty much rules that out, and even signing on it...

No one held a gun to the UK's head. It has only itself to blame.
    Not all of the UK, remember NI isn't a victim of Brussel's territorial ambitions, but of the UK's legacy in Ireland, and Scotland has made no secret of its desire to stay.
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post

The Brexiters want a free trade agreement with the EU similar to that with Canada. The problem with this is that the EU demands that it annex Northern Ireland as the price for any agreement. If the EU dropped its territorial ambitions then an agreement could be rapidly reached.
      Whoa!

That can't mean when I think it means....
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

Whoa!

That can't mean when I think it means....
        It doesn't. Surrey is just blaming EU for UK not being able to make up its mind whether it wants to leave(a border) or not(no border).
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Oh, you want the Canada? Well, just maybe you should have said so then.

And preferably before pledging a bunch of things that pretty much rules that out, and even signing on it...

No one held a gun to the UK's head. It has only itself to blame.
          We did, and it was pretty much our position until May developed her Chequers plan.
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by Karri View Post

It doesn't. Surrey is just blaming EU for UK not being able to make up its mind whether it wants to leave(a border) or not(no border).
            That does not sound right.
            Leaving means borders, but that isn't much of a big deal unless the EU are going to be jerks about it. I drove all over Europe in the last 80s and early 90s and nobody but the Austrians even wanted to see my I.D.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post
              We did, and it was pretty much our position until May developed her Chequers plan.
              Chequers is emphatically nothing like a Canada deal. That's just something Brexiters say. At best because they honestly don't understand what it is, at worst it's a bad faith claim.

Make up your minds.

Comment

Chequers is emphatically nothing like a Canada deal. That's just something Brexiters say. At best because they honestly don't understand what it is, at worst it's a bad faith claim.

Make up your minds.
                Pat Condell sure has you folk's number, to the decimal point.

So, it isn't just Americans that are too stupid to exist in your New Order, but also anyone at all that isn't a fan of the EU, eh?
                And here is the semi-funny part with you guys who always tell everyone that disagrees with you that the situations is so very much more complicated and there is all this stuff that the peons don't understand-
                YOU NEVER EXPLAIN ANY OF IT.
                That means your just making crap up.
                And you wonder why you are being ignored by more people than ever, all over the Continent?

Visegrad rocks!
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Pat Condell sure has you folk's number, to the decimal point.

So, it isn't just Americans that are too stupid to exist in your New Order, but also anyone at all that isn't a fan of the EU, eh?
                  And here is the semi-funny part with you guys who always tell everyone that disagrees with you that the situations is so very much more complicated and there is all this stuff that the peons don't understand-
                  YOU NEVER EXPLAIN ANY OF IT.
                  That means your just making crap up.
                  And you wonder why you are being ignored by more people than ever, all over the Continent?

Visegrad rocks!
                  You're spouting BS. No one is under any obligation to explain obvious stuff to you.

Comment

That does not sound right.

Leaving means borders, but that isn't much of a big deal unless the EU are going to be jerks about it. I drove all over Europe in the last 80s and early 90s and nobody but the Austrians even wanted to see my I.D.
                    Leaving means borders. Per the existing rules the checks on the borders have to be 'fair and equitable'. UK was together with other EU countries when the EU pushed for tighter border controls. Those tighter controls would therefore need to apply towards the UK as well. As unless there is a separate agreement the checks it wouldn't be fair and equitable towards non-UK travel & transit should the UK go through with less scrutiny. There is some irony in this.

The Ireland thing however remains problematic because of the demands made in various agreements. UK leaving means that customs union and single market no longer applies. Both of those (not to mention WTO's MFN clause) place demands for there being a border somewhere. While GFA doesn't explicitly forbid a border it kind of assumes there ain't going to be one. The question really is where it should be since it has to be somewhere. Also AFAIK the CTA would essentially amount to a visa-waiver but that is about it so it wouldn't really matter.

As to the Chequers vs Canada... Canada deal is essentially just a FTA with some bells and whistles. Canada + (add additional '+' or '++' if you like - it really doesn't matter) is the same exact it also includes agreements on continuing security etc. cooperation. Chequers on other hand is a totally different thing. It tried to go for a partial alignment, create some sort of facilitate customs agreements, creating some sort of mutual regulatory alignment and so on. For many reasons that was never going to go through. What the EU representatives stated essentially was that they were happy with the non-trade portions of the Chequers (i.e. the '+' to '+++' part of the Canada deal) but that the trade part could not be accepted.
                    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• In a nutshell The Brexiteers want to leave the EU but continue to be the financial Centre of the EU. They also want to be able to continue to trade with the EU exactly the same way as if they were still members.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aber View Post

As opposed to chlorinated salads:
                        'Chlorinated Chicken' is a example of how the brave new world of free trade is going to play out. First assumption is the UK defaults to lower standards of her trading partner. If she does not then homegrown chicken farmers will be at a severe competitive disadvantage to those countries (like the USA) that have far lower health standards and rely on chemicals to neutralize most of the bacteria that follow in the wake of their laxity. If the UK defaults to 'chlorinated chicken' then said chicken can no longer be exported to the EU. It is a one-way door where there is no going back.

It is no secret that the rabid Brexiteers want a de-regulated low-Tax low-wage UK. This means Jacob can still make his millions (through his recently opened Irish Office) but the ordinary worked will see his wages and living standards falter as we become the sweatshop of Europe.
                        That assumes Corbyn does not win and put a spoke in all the carefully crafted plans to bring down May.

Comment

• I had been reading the thread up until page 6 but found this on the net and it shows me all I need to know about this thread.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/brexit.asp

If she does not then homegrown chicken farmers will be at a severe competitive disadvantage to those countries (like the USA) that have far lower health standards and rely on chemicals to neutralize most of the bacteria that follow in the wake of their laxity.
                          The above quote did not surprise me seeing who wrote it!
                          Our world at Khe Sanh was blood, death, and filth with deafening gunfire and blinding explosions as a constant soundtrack...Barry Fixler
                          http://sempercool.com/

Comment

• Interesting find !
                            "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

• Apparently close to 700 000 people took part in the recent Brexit protest march. Anyone got info on that number? It seems kinda big number to be brushed aside so easily.
                              Wisdom is personal

Comment

• The ultra-hardline Brexiteers are a minority. A noisy minority. The bulk of the country want a compromise agreement but the rabid little-englander believe that they alone should get everything they want. Truth is there is no Parliamentary Majority for a 'No Deal' solution so the Brexiteers have done a complete reversal of their previous anti-EU mantra-we must restore the primacy of Parliament-and now are dead set against any vote by Parliament. They know they can not win a vote so have decided that Parliament is supreme-but only if Parliament delivers what they want.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X