Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post

Calm down princess. You made the bold claim "The EU has been VERY good for the UK." and have, so far, failed to present any facts on why that should be the case.

I don't think membership of the EU has been that good for the UK, indeed probably negative on the whole bearing in mind our net membership 'fee' of £200 billion quid & counting.
    The EU only seems to benefit Greece, Italy, and the other imploding economies.

From the outside the EU looks like a merger between some successful and some bankrupt entities, in which the failing organizations are not required to correct the issues that are causing them to fail.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

The EU only seems to benefit Greece, Italy, and the other imploding economies.

From the outside the EU looks like a merger between some successful and some bankrupt entities, in which the failing organizations are not required to correct the issues that are causing them to fail.
      Seems to be the same system in every 'Country'.
      image_79127.jpg

2018 version

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Comment

• Originally posted by m kenny View Post

Seems to be the same system in every 'Country'.
        image_79127.jpg

2018 version

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
        The EU is not a country.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Calm down princess. You made the bold claim "The EU has been VERY good for the UK." and have, so far, failed to present any facts on why that should be the case.

I don't think membership of the EU has been that good for the UK, indeed probably negative on the whole bearing in mind our net membership 'fee' of £200 billion quid & counting.
          Really?

I'm pointing out to you what an EU equivalent of the current crop of UK Brexit BS about both the EU and the Brexit process might look like.

Fortunately so far the rubbish thinking has been limited to the UK side. But yes, it is trying to have to wade through. (You're still arguing in bad faith btw.)

And the EU has been very good for the UK. But as I said, some British will be damned (i.e. Brexit) before conceding this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post

And the EU has been very good for the UK. But as I said, some British will be damned (i.e. Brexit) before conceding this.
            The old repeat it enough and it might get lodged as fact argument.

I will say though that leaving after the EU after having been a member for 45 years will be worse for the UK than if the UK had never joined at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post

The EU is not a country.
              You might want to look up the meaning of the 'quotes' around the word country.

Comment

I will say though that leaving after the EU after having been a member for 45 years will be worse for the UK than if the UK had never joined at all.
                Have you any facts or evidence to support that or is it just a feeling?

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                  Have you any facts or evidence to support that or is it just a feeling?
                  I can think of 200 billion ££££££££££££ facts to support that.

Comment

I can think of 200 billion ££££££££££££ facts to support that.
                    I come from an area that has had lots of ££££££££££££££££ in EU Grants. I suppose that does not count because 'we deserve it'. I note that local politicians are worried that Central Government has hinted this funding stream will not be replaced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Karri View Post
                      No comments? And actually, not first of many, but one of many. It seems like a lot of banks have moved their headquarters as well. This is not big in terms of workforce, but quite huge in terms of finances.
                      Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Originally posted by Karri View Post

No comments? And actually, not first of many, but one of many. It seems like a lot of banks have moved their headquarters as well. This is not big in terms of workforce, but quite huge in terms of finances.
                        Even Jacob Rees Mogg is (very quietly) opening offices in Ireland. Another bong-eyed looney Brexiteer Lord Lawson has actually applied for French Residency!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ncy-vote-leave

Comment

• Despite the avalanche of sewage over the last few days regarding Alex Salmond (he's alleged to have committed 2 sexual assaults 5 years ago - a time when the press would've jumped on it to vilify the case for the indyref) it now seems that 52% of Scots would vote for independence if Brexit goes ahead (compared to 48% if it doesn't). Then again, the independence movement was a lot bigger than one man, even him.

The Irish seem to think that they'd prefer a United Ireland in the event of Brexit, too - so it's already looking like Brexit will finish the UK - a prospect I can accept philosophically.
                          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

• Originally posted by m kenny View Post

I come from an area that has had lots of ££££££££££££££££ in EU Grants. I suppose that does not count because 'we deserve it'. I note that local politicians are worried that Central Government has hinted this funding stream will not be replaced.

Your area voted heavily in favour of Leave, I think?

Anyway gross UK £ contributions to the EEC/EU have been north of 500 billion so unlikely your area will lose out. Maybe grants would be spent differently and perhaps better but that is a moot point.

Comment

The old repeat it enough and it might get lodged as fact argument.

That's because is makes no actual sense to begin with, and amounts to an act of willful self-harm on the part of the UK. Which is how the rest of the world perceives it. (exception granted for Trump and various right wing Americans.)

Comment

• Originally posted by the ace View Post
                                Despite the avalanche of sewage over the last few days regarding Alex Salmond (he's alleged to have committed 2 sexual assaults 5 years ago - a time when the press would've jumped on it to vilify the case for the indyref) it now seems that 52% of Scots would vote for independence if Brexit goes ahead (compared to 48% if it doesn't). Then again, the independence movement was a lot bigger than one man, even him.

The Irish seem to think that they'd prefer a United Ireland in the event of Brexit, too - so it's already looking like Brexit will finish the UK - a prospect I can accept philosophically.
                                A few pints

Most MPs in Northern Ireland are Unionist, thus unlikely that Ulster will want to join with Ireland. The last election was post the EU referendum, if there had been large scale support for joining Ireland then there would have been more nationalist MPs.
                                The Scots had their referendum in 2014 and unlikely to have another one for a generation at least so not relevant. The SNP vote actually dropped at the last election.

Salmond's wondering hands are not relevant to either Brexit or whether or not Scotland should be independent.
                                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X