Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

You do understand that a trade deal is a binding international legal agreement which would, by its nature, limit or restrict the UK in the context of that agreement, just as it would limit and restrict the EU? Saying that such restrictions are somehow a surrender of sovereignty is just wrong.
    Childish hyperbole doesn’t add anything meaningful to the discussion.
    Clearly you have been paying little attention.

"First and foremost, the EU wants the UK to sign up to strict rules on fair and open competition, so if British companies are given tariff-free access to the EU market, they cannot undercut their rivals.
    <>
    Most importantly, its negotiating directives, adopted on 25 February 2020, say a future partnership must "ensure the application" in the UK of EU state-aid rules on subsidies for business.
    <>
    The UK would also be required to stay in line with the EU's rules on environmental policy and workers' rights in a way that would "stand the test of time".
    <>
    One late addition to the EU's negotiating document is the demand that the UK should stick close to EU rules on food safety and animal health,
    <>
    Now, the EU is demanding the ECJ be given a legal role in policing any free-trade agreement.
    <>
    The EU wants to "uphold" existing access on both sides to fishing waters -
    <>
    [EU] wants the court to be able to issue binding rulings on disputes between the two sides, when they "raise a question of interpretation of [European] Union law".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51657084

"The UK aims for a relationship based on “friendly cooperation between sovereign equals” with both sides respecting each other’s “legal autonomy”.

It will not abide by EU rules and states the UK “will not negotiate any arrangement in which the UK does not have control of its own laws”, will not accept any “obligations” to be aligned with EU laws, or the “EU institutions, including the court of justice”.

Comment

• You're a bit obsessed aren't you

Those "mandates" are just each sides prelude, like an opening bid in a card game, in no negotiation one side comes away everything they "demand"…

Calm down, you will wear yourself out, this can take years….
      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
        You're a bit obsessed aren't you
        Calm down, you will wear yourself out, this can take years….
        Fortunately there are only months.

But sovereignty is a fundamental issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
          Fortunately there are only months.
          There will be new months after these months, there are always are

There will be 10 "rounds" of negotiations, 4 days each, from Monday to Thursday, alternating between London and Brussels.

After each "round" there will a press conference, then we'll know more no doubt, around the end of May.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/02...eu-vk-duiding/

Note that even a "deal" is not the end of the affair, CETA for example, is only in force "provisionally" atm. while various "small issues" are settled and new problems discovered.

CETA entered into force provisionally on 21 September 2017, meaning most of the agreement now applies.
          https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/ceta/

If anything is agreed on by 31/12 it will be a "skeleton agreement" - to be improved on in future years...
          Last edited by Snowygerry; 02 Mar 20, 07:51.

Comment

There was no ban. Guernsey, which is independent of the UK, merely required French fishermen fishing their waters, to acquire a permit to do so. From 01/01/2021 they will require a licence - French skippers who behave naughtily need not apply.
            That has a lot of sense. fisheries are best managed as locally as possible.
            the French may wish to review the St Pierre and Miquelon agreement
            https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...-boundary-case
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
              If anything is agreed on by 31/12 it will be a "skeleton agreement" - to be improved on in future years...
              I'm not sure. It's not as if the UK and the EU are not aligned now.

Though, interestingly there are 11 different negotiations going on simultaneously so I guess its possible that there will be an agreement in some areas but not others

Comment

I'm not sure. It's not as if the UK and the EU are not aligned now.
                Well they're aligned now, because you're still in a "transition period" and were a full member of the EU for 50 years, untill a few months ago.

so I guess its possible that there will be an agreement in some areas but not others..
                Eh, that is by far the most likely outcome (of any negotiation), I agree

Comment

Bobby Sands was in the IRA and supported their terrorist campaign. His father was Catholic.
                  Ireland has, thankfully, for the most part ditched the poison that is religion. Northern Ireland is still crippled by it. Their economy is still a basket case. There’s no shortage of cars (and we have electricity and plumbing and we don’t live in thatched cottages).
                  Later on I’ll show you a video which reports that Bobby Sands had a protestant father and a Catholic mother. The man is one of my heroes. Over 100,000 Irish attended the funeral of sands
                  Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                  Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

Later on I’ll show you a video which reports that Bobby Sands had a protestant father and a Catholic mother. The man is one of my heroes. Over 100,000 Irish attended the funeral of sands
                    Your video would be incorrect.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2014/0...r-sands-94597/

HIS son is an icon of republicanism but yesterday there were no Sinn Fein representatives at the funeral of Bobby Sands's father.

Family and friends of John Sands gathered in west Belfast to pay their last respects to the 91-year-old, who passed away peacefully in hospital on Saturday. Requiem Mass was celebrated at St Agnes's Church on the Andersonstown Road.
                    Note the highlighted bit.
                    For further information St Agnes' is a Catholic Church.
                    http://www.stagnesbelfast.com/?page_id=50

Comment

Why is he one of your heroes ?

Comment

Bobby Sands was in the IRA and supported their terrorist campaign. His father was Catholic.
                        Ireland has, thankfully, for the most part ditched the poison that is religion. Northern Ireland is still crippled by it. Their economy is still a basket case. There’s no shortage of cars (and we have electricity and plumbing and we don’t live in thatched cottages).
                        From the 1:45 mark of this video ED, Sands father was a Protestant and his mother a Catholic. Unless that is Sands father perhaps converted to Catholicism following Sands death?

Bobby Sands also grew up with Protestant friends.

Its high time that Northern Ireland unites with The Republic of Ireland. So is it fake news wrt the econonic recovery of Northern Ireland...going from having .5 cars per a family of 4 to having 2 cars per family of 4. Havent things improved economically in Northern Ireland since the 1990s. At the least the place is no dump.

England left the EU. Next up is independence for Northern Ireland as well as Scotland from England.

George S Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post

Why is he one of your heroes ?
                          Well a # of reasons. For standing up for the cause of Irish Freedom by giving his life in a non violent manner. I take an interest into learning more about the Unionist as well as Protestant militias of the Troubles. I find it interesting that Bobby Sands has monuments all over the world including in the USA. An Israeli Prime Minister went by the name Michael in homage to Michael Collins. There is a lot of love toward the Irish all over the world.

Did you know that Bobby Sands funeral had over 100,000 Irishmen? Did you know that Sands was elected to Parliament winning the confidence of over 30,000 Irish voters? The Troubles saw a time of irregular warfare... Whats interesting though as the BBC video I posted above shows us that the Protestant militia men in Northern Ireland had a disagreement with the British Gov. Its to bad that their was not more of a united push among Irish Catholics and Protestants in the 1970s as there was in 1798.

George S Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

Your video would be incorrect.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2014/0...r-sands-94597/

Note the highlighted bit.
                            For further information St Agnes' is a Catholic Church.
                            http://www.stagnesbelfast.com/?page_id=50
                            Its possible that Sands father converted after his sons death in 1981. The BBC itself though reported that Sands was born to a Protestant father. In addition to that...Bobby Sands grew up with Protestant friends in a area by Belfast that was mixed in the 1960s but by the times of the troubles the division started to ramp up.

Edit" I am impressed that you took an interest into the subject. And Im glad you provided the information above because I am interested in the background of Bobby Sands.
                            Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 02 Mar 20, 18:49.

George S Patton

Comment

Well a # of reasons. For standing up for the cause of Irish Freedom by giving his life in a non violent manner. I take an interest into learning more about the Unionist as well as Protestant militias of the Troubles. I find it interesting that Bobby Sands has monuments all over the world including in the USA. An Israeli Prime Minister went by the name Michael in homage to Michael Collins. There is a lot of love toward the Irish all over the world.

Did you know that Bobby Sands funeral had over 100,000 Irishmen? Did you know that Sands was elected to Parliament winning the confidence of over 30,000 Irish voters? The Troubles saw a time of irregular warfare... Whats interesting though as the BBC video I posted above shows us that the Protestant militia men in Northern Ireland had a disagreement with the British Gov. Its to bad that their was not more of a united push among Irish Catholics and Protestants in the 1970s as there was in 1798.
                              A lot of wrong reasons
                              1 Sands did not give his life for Irish Freedom : he wanted the annexation of Northern Ireland to the South, something the majority of the people of NI refused .
                              2 That there were 100000 people ( NOT Irishmen ) at his funeral,is not an argument :there were more than 100000 people at the funeral of Soleimani
                              3 Sands was not elected by 30000 Irish voters, but by 30000 British citizens
                              4 Sands was condemned by cardinal Hume .

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post

A lot of wrong reasons
                                1 Sands did not give his life for Irish Freedom : he wanted the annexation of Northern Ireland to the South, something the majority of the people of NI refused .
                                2 That there were 100000 people ( NOT Irishmen ) at his funeral,is not an argument :there were more than 100000 people at the funeral of Soleimani
                                3 Sands was not elected by 30000 Irish voters, but by 30000 British citizens
                                4 Sands was condemned by cardinal Hume .
                                No monuments to Solemani in the USA..but their is a monument to Sands. American supplied arm shipments to the IRA in the 1970s and 1980s. Americans did not or do not supply arm shipments to the Iranians. One must understand that American culture loves Irish culture a lot of that has to do with the fact that Americans rebelled against the British Empire just as the Irish did.

In fact the Irish rebellion of 1798 was fought only some years after the American Revolution. Bobby Sands funeral in 1981 was in northern Ireland and his funeral was attended by Irishman. I don’t understand why you would try and defy reality like that as you did in the other thread. Do you know what that IRA stood for Irish Republican army. I imagine you know what the word Irish means and I imagine you understand that Mr. sand was an Irish Republican member of pira which is no longer active.

While sands was jailed in hm maze over 30,000 Irishmen Voted sands in the parliament. These Irishman may have been subjects of the British Crown but they were Irish by ethnicity of course you know that so please in the future there’s no need for you to defy the facts. We might have some disagreements on the subject but for you to say that the people who attended Bobby sands funeral we’re not Irishman well that’s unfortunate and you’re wrong.

The past 225 years have witnessed many Irishman Protestants and Catholics alike that stood up to the British most notably the society of united Irishman in 1798.

During the life of Bobby Sands The British government gerrymandered districts in northern Ireland to create divisions that led to the troubles this is an argument put forth by broth the protestant militia’s as well as the IRA Catholics of the 1970s. No country is perfect I admire England’s history but I would also like to see Northern Ireland and Scotland become independent from England. England has already given up on India and most of its empire decades ago... there’s no need for them to hang onto Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Sands was both supported and denounced by clergy.

George S Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Adults Rashid Dostur
                                  by casanova
                                  The Warlord Abdul Rashid Dostur came back to Afghanistan and was promoted to military marshal by the Afghanian president Ashraf Ghani. ...
                                  Today, 00:48
                                • casanova
                                  Alouette III
                                  by casanova
                                  The military helicopter Alouette Iii will be staioned off duty in 1923 because of oldness by the Austrian airforce. The Austrian airfoce wants to buy...
                                  Today, 00:22
                                • casanova
                                  Israel Army
                                  by casanova
                                  The Israelian Army stationed all airdefencesystens, tanks and soldiers on the Liban and Syrian border. The Iran wants to attack Israel. Arabian terrorists...
                                  Yesterday, 23:15
                                Working...
                                X