No announcement yet.

Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 46 pages ? Give me a week or so...

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/medi...1re03-en20.pdf

V. AUTHENTIC LANGUAGES
    168. The envisaged partnership, which should be equally authentic in all official languages of the Union, should include a language clause to that effect.
    Instead of fish it's chicken now apparently - your press is really something

At the weekend, George Eustice, the new UK environment secretary, refused to guarantee that the government would not allow the importation of chlorine-washed chicken as part of a trade deal with the US.
    This is a bit strange too :

In an interview with Sky News’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday, Eustice also signalled that ministers might expand a scheme allowing farmers to hire low-paid foreign workers to harvest crops for 2021.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 25 Feb 20, 09:18.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Part of the problem for the current impasse seems to be that at least some in the UK view the EU as some sort of entity that force its will over the member states. That is not the case. Especially not with the trade agreements. In a sense the UK is not negotiations need to take into account far more than just what the EU itself if stating - they need to take into account every single member state, all of whom have their own red lines, requirements, needs, and veto right. So trying to 'meet at halfway' is not particularly easily achievable on the EU side because if that 'halfway' compromises interests of even a single member state then that 'halfway' can not be reached.

Likely the reason why the EU seems to prefer to offer a variety of options for the other party to choose from rather than the usual haggling. Since that latter route is simply not realistic. And why the usual means of trade coercion are unlikely to work.
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
        Part of the problem for the current impasse seems to be that at least some in the UK view the EU as some sort of entity that force its will over the member states…..
        Well that was the basic premise of Brexit and all the propaganda that supported it, really should be no surprise at all that some actually believe it.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          Another 46 pages ? Give me a week or so...

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/medi...1re03-en20.pdf

Instead of fish it's chicken now apparently - your press is really something

I'd rather eat American chicken than let you lot continue to steal our fish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Comment

What UK demands? Beyond that an agreement is reached by 31st December 2020

Every country in the world has access to the EU single market

Many countries also have reciprocal tariff free arrangements with the EU.
                None of which allow "EU supervision on so-called level playing field issues"
                Learn :

"The European single market

Standardisation

Standards are voluntary technical specifications that apply to various products, materials, services and processes. They can help reduce costs, improve safety, enhance competition and facilitate the acceptance of innovations. Learn about the Joint Initiative on Standardisation, standardisation policy, harmonised standards, service standards, the notification system, standardisation requests and key guidance in the standardisation section.
                Barriers to trade

The Commission works to remove or reduce barriers to intra-EU trade and prevent the creation of new ones so enterprises can trade freely in the EU and beyond. It applies Treaty rules prohibiting quantitative restrictions on imports and exports (Articles 34 to 36 TFEU ) and manages the notification procedures on technical regulations (2015/1535) and technical barriers to trade.
                CE marking

The Commission introduced the CE mark to indicate that a product meets high safety, health and environmental protection requirements and can be sold throughout the European Economic Area. See the guides for manufacturers, and importers and distributors, and read about CE marking in your country in the CE marking section."

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market_en

Comment

There are many problems with taking back the 'fish' (though i doubt the fish respect the borders) story. Even without the negotiations that is. Perhaps the largest one is that the UK itself chose to convert UK's fishing quota shares into commodities which the fishermen then promptly sold on. These shares are equivalent to property at the moment - so taking them over would be rather detrimental for the UK reputation. I suppose the UK government could try buying back those shares but then again, the UK itself wanted it to be a commodity so it is going to be seller's market. That is what the UK wanted after all. So that is what you got.

Then... The UK also has multitude of agreements with other countries granted them access to the UK fisheries from the past. These are equivalent to international agreements so again breaching them might not be the best of ideas. Then we get to the historical and traditional rights part which is less formalized but still for example UNCLOS (art. 70) grants certain rights for countries which are 'geographically disadvantaged' so it is somewhat difficult to say.

What the UK will get control of (in case of no deals) is of the total quota. However that will not help much the UK fishermen if the quota shares legally belong to foreign companies.

Now then... When we get past the actually legal side of fishing (which i doubt will be resolved any time soon) we get to the part which the Channel Islands found to their dismay earlier. Blocking the French fishermen from fishing resulted in the French fishermen blocking the French ports for the UK fishermen. And since the UK does not really eat the type of fish they can catch but instead prefer to sell those and buy different kinds of fish for consumption that is a bit of a problem as well. Not the least because the only way for the fish to get premium price requires it to be sold fresh (essentially by landing the fish to a mainland EU port). And should the fishing rights go, then that will be gone too. Which means fish will yield less and fishermen will make even less than what they are making now.

So while i appreciate the UK concern on fishing and the UK fishermen the main problem for the UK fishermen has not been the EU but the policies of the UK itself. No other EU country made those quota shares into a trade-able commodity for example.
                  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                    There are many problems with taking back the 'fish' (though i doubt the fish respect the borders) story. Even without the negotiations that is. Perhaps the largest one is that the UK itself chose to convert UK's fishing quota shares into commodities which the fishermen then promptly sold on.
                    You still believe in the fairytale that EU fishermen have bought ownership of the UKs seas!

Blocking the French fishermen from fishing resulted in the French fishermen blocking the French ports for the UK fishermen.
                    Meh. A small disruption whilst other ports and/or markets for British fish are found.

And since the UK does not really eat the type of fish they can catch but instead prefer to sell those and buy different kinds of fish for consumption that is a bit of a problem as well.
                    [/quote]

Since there are likely to be significant price hikes because of tariffs on EU meat and dairy, I predict UK consumers will start eating more of the lovely fish that dwell in our seas.
                    Good for our health too!

Comment

Since there are likely to be significant price hikes because of tariffs on EU meat and dairy, I predict UK consumers will start eating more of the lovely fish that dwell in our seas.

Good for our health too!
                      "Let them eat fish !"

Now THAT would have been a campaign slogan to remember

Comment

You still believe in the fairytale that EU fishermen have bought ownership of the UKs seas!
                        Not the ownership of the seas. The ownership-share of the UK's fishing quotas which the UK in a stroke of utter foolishness made into a tradeable commodity. And the UK can not just take it back since it was equated to a property. It has to be bought back. Otherwise the UK would be seizing and nationalizing foreign owned assets.
                        Meh. A small disruption whilst other ports and/or markets for British fish are found.
                        Possible, sure. But rather unlikely. There would likely be no ports in the required vicinity to take the fish. So they would need to go through the UK ports (and hence not be fresh and also be subjected to SPS checks). So that promises only lower value, increased costs - much lower profitability.
                        I doubt that. It would be a great for the UK domestically if such a change could be made but making such changes when it is not absolutely required is much harder than what it would seem. Fish-n-chips alone is a problem in that respect.

Comment

"Brexit confusion prompts fishing chaos as France and Guernsey swap 'bans' on catches

While French fishers have effectively been left high and dry, they have, as a result, told Guernsey fishermen that "under no circumstances" are they to land and sell their catch in French markets, which are crucial to business.

Fisherman Dougal Lane told the BBC the dispute has hit the industry "dramatically" and that he hopes a resolution is quickly found.

"It should only affect the wet fish boats, the shellfish boats... can stall their catch for a week or so," he said.

"But the wet fish boats have to sell our catch within three or four days.""

Send a message to Guernsey fisherman. They don't seem to realize how easy your solution is...

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/br...t-news-1385691

Comment

Good for our health too!
                            [/QUOTE]

|You mean- canals .....

Comment

• Originally posted by Metryll View Post

While French fishers have effectively been left high and dry, they have, as a result, told Guernsey fishermen that "under no circumstances" are they to land and sell their catch in French markets, which are crucial to business.
                              Send a message to Guernsey fisherman. They don't seem to realize how easy your solution is...

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/br...t-news-1385691

Let me see, Channel Island fishermen won't be able to land their catches in France but French boats are laid up and French consumers aren't getting their fish, hmmm who loses most here

As it is when the UK regains control of its seas, there will be a great shortage of UK boats and trawlermen. So if means no wet fish to France there are plenty of other catches and markets to exploit.

Sooner or later the EU fishermen will have to grasp that stealing another countries fish is not a long term career choice.

Comment

As it is when the UK regains control of its seas, there will be a great shortage of UK boats and trawlermen.
                                And a great surplus of bankers and brokers in the city of London, tough choices will have to be made there

https://scottalanturner.com/the-para...nd-the-banker/

“Millions, señor? Then what?”

To which the investment banker replied, “Then you would retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X