No announcement yet.

Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EU are not covering themselves in glory after they seek to backtrack on the Canadian style deal

https://order-order.com/2020/02/20/e...-brexit-graph/

ERJCPxKXkAARRRr.jpeg?fit=1261%2C691&ssl=1.jpg

Comment

• A correct graph

EROCKB9WoAAibxS?format=png&name=small.png

Comment

• The EU has consistently said that a "Canada-style" deal with the UK would work differently from one with Canada, due to the proximity of the UK and the volume of trade.

Bit late to wake up and smell the roses only now...

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
          The EU has consistently said that a "Canada-style" deal with the UK would work differently from one with Canada, due to the proximity of the UK and the volume of trade.

And as also previously pointed out CETA has taken years to negotiate and parts of it are still provisional. A one year and done deal seems rather optimistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

And as also previously pointed out CETA has taken years to negotiate and parts of it are still provisional. A one year and done deal seems rather optimistic.

Yes, but the UK and the EU would be approaching any CETA type deal from the opposite direction - what tariffs and quotas and obstacles to impose, not get rid of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
              The EU has consistently said that a "Canada-style" deal with the UK would work differently from one with Canada, due to the proximity of the UK and the volume of trade.
              Thank you for passing on the official EU historical revision.

I trust you won't be looking too hard to find where the EU said a Canada type deal would require regulatory alignment and EU supervision of the 'level playing field'.

More a case of expecting the EU to grow out of its pettiness and churlishness over the UKs decision to leave.

Still I think the UK is more and more coming to terms with the idea that the best exit is the WTO one. With that comes the realisation that they'll be as many opportunities for business as there will be penalties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post

Thank you for passing on the official EU historical revision.

I trust you won't be looking too hard to find where the EU said a Canada type deal would require regulatory alignment and EU supervision of the 'level playing field'.
                No "official EU historical revision" there. EU stated that May proposal was the best she could got before no deal. It was about the proposal against which UK Parliement voted no. Taking this declaration out of context and claiming that it relate to Johnson position is simply meaningless...

"Another issue for Johnson will be domestic politics. May’s deal provided for an “association agreement” with deals on security and counter-terrorism as well as as science and education. Would Johnson abandon these just to get a Canada deal?"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...by-end-of-2020

More a case of expecting the EU to grow out of its pettiness and churlishness over the UKs decision to leave.

Still I think the UK is more and more coming to terms with the idea that the best exit is the WTO one. With that comes the realisation that they'll be as many opportunities for business as there will be penalties.
                You don't think, you believe. This is why we have to correct your claiming so often over there...

Comment

• It's in a way development from the original 2016-ish idea that the German auto industry would give the UK everything it wanted in negotiations – yet in a way just more of the same from where that kind of idea came from.

Comment

The EU are not covering themselves in glory after they seek to backtrack on the Canadian style deal
                    When, where and how did the EU offer CETA style deal? Canada style deal was only noted in the famous stair slide (for example) that it remained something which could still be achieved despite of the UK's red lines - not that it would have been available without a cost, or just be a pick-n-choose. So what backtracking? Because for that to happen the offer would have needed to have been made in the first place.
                    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Metryll View Post

No "official EU historical revision" there. EU stated that May proposal was the best she could got before no deal. It was about the proposal against which UK Parliement voted no. Taking this declaration out of context and claiming that it relate to Johnson position is simply meaningless...
                      Eh? That is just babble. Not unusual for you though ...

"Another issue for Johnson will be domestic politics. May’s deal provided for an “association agreement” with deals on security and counter-terrorism as well as as science and education. Would Johnson abandon these just to get a Canada deal?"
                      Sort of proves what I claimed. Agreements between the UK and EU on education, security and counter-terrorism etc are mutually beneficial and barely contentious. That the EU wants to bundle these into a 'package' that still allows the EU the power significant interference and oversight into UK matters is petty and churlish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                        When, where and how did the EU offer CETA style deal? Canada style deal was only noted in the famous stair slide (for example) that it remained something which could still be achieved despite of the UK's red lines - not that it would have been available without a cost, or just be a pick-n-choose. So what backtracking? Because for that to happen the offer would have needed to have been made in the first place.
                        The Canadian style deal is the Canadian style deal. Saying the UK version of such a deal has to come with the added bonus of the UK requirement to 'dynamically harmonize' with EU laws and regulations ain't the Canadian style deal

Last edited by Gooner; 21 Feb 20, 14:24.

Comment

Yes, but the UK and the EU would be approaching any CETA type deal from the opposite direction - what tariffs and quotas and obstacles to impose, not get rid of.
                          And why would this be any faster to negotiate?

Comment

The Canadian style deal is the Canadian style deal. Saying the UK version of such a deal has to come with the added bonus of the UK requirement to 'dynamically harmonize' with EU laws and regulations ain't the Canadian style deal
                            And? Was it ever explicitly stated (outside of the UK politicians and media) that the EU would automatically grant such a deal? It was only noted on the EU side that it was possible to reach such a deal - not that the UK would get it for free or even on the same conditions as what the Canada did. So where is the backtracking?

What I'm seeing is just the British deluding themselves. Or can you show where it was explicitly stated that the EU would be granting the similar deal without any extra conditions? That stair slide does not do it. It only marks it as possible despite of the UK red lines - which it still is.
                            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Eh? That is just babble. Not unusual for you though ...
                              I'm not the Guardian. As usual you simply ignore facts...

Sort of proves what I claimed. Agreements between the UK and EU on education, security and counter-terrorism etc are mutually beneficial and barely contentious. That the EU wants to bundle these into a 'package' that still allows the EU the power significant interference and oversight into UK matters is petty and churlish.
                              EU wants nothing. UK is calling for demands, EU answer. Don't like it ? Go away. Once again this OUR single market. You will not access it without cost. Beleiving that UK could impose its will over 27 States sovereignty show a new high water mark in desillusion and comedy...

Comment

• No one in their right mind in the UK expects to be granted access to the Chinese or US markets at conditions of the UK's choosing, and suggesting it will get you dismissed as a fantasist.

Yet when it comes to the EU, apparently otherwise reasonable British people clearly are able to assume precisely that.

No one has so far been able to explain this discrepancy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X