No announcement yet.

Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blablabla ... defend the Single Market ... blablabla.

The question not being answered is if the checks are going to be away from the border in case of no deal, why not have the a deal and checks away from the border?

D'uh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
      The question not being answered is if the checks are going to be away from the border in case of no deal, why not have the a deal and checks away from the border?
      Actually now you are misleading more than a bit. Coveney did not state they would hold border checks away from border but that they would try to do so if possible. If anything he reaffirmed the Irish intention to make sure the border is secure by using checks. Just the he would hope that some solution would allow for the checks to be done away from the border if possible. I hope you can appreciate the subtle difference there.

Edit: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49587610 (BBC: Brexit: Ireland will 'try' to impose checks away from border in no-deal)

TLDR:
      Mr Coveney said the Irish government would not allow the country to be "dragged out of the EU single market by default as a result of Brexit".
      Last edited by Vaeltaja; 05 Sep 19, 08:53.
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• I reckon Depiffle's management of our Country's going to last about as long as Big Sam did with England and Cloughie's at dirty Leeds!

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Blablabla ... defend the Single Market ... blablabla.

D'uh.
          That would hamper slipping British fish into the Eu via the 'Irish conduit.' Remember the pig merry go round of the 1990's?

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Blablabla ... defend the Single Market ... blablabla.

D'uh.
            Well I'm sorry of reality offends you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
              I think you are getting confused between being offended by reality and recognising reality when it bites you in the ar**. Borises exciteers are the grand masters when it comes to self delusion. Arguing with them is a waste of energy.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                Actually now you are misleading more than a bit. Coveney did not state they would hold border checks away from border but that they would try to do so if possible. If anything he reaffirmed the Irish intention to make sure the border is secure by using checks. Just the he would hope that some solution would allow for the checks to be done away from the border if possible. I hope you can appreciate the subtle difference there.
                No, the question is just the same '
                The question not being answered is if the checks are going to be away from the border in case of no deal, why not have the deal and checks away from the border?'

The Irish PM stated that in the event of no-deal "There will be checks on goods and live animals and as far as possible these will take place in the ports, airports and at business level. But some may need to take place near the border."

You do know that holding border checks actually on the border is not a WTO requirement, right? Indeed if it eases trade the WTO prefers them to be away from the border.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                  What 'reality'? That the cross border trade between NI and the ROI is about 0.1% of all the EUs external trade?

Comment

What 'reality'? That the cross border trade between NI and the ROI is about 0.1% of all the EUs external trade?
                    Irrelevant - the problem is that after Brexit it could be an open door through which non compliant goods could flow. The volume today matters not - it's what it could become.
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

NOW it is. If it is an unguarded door it could be anything.

Having an unguarded door into the single market means anyone can use it for anything. And no one will know because no one will be paying attention. (Indirectly we will eventually find out by weird things turning up and happening.)

The UK under BJ position is essentially "Just trust us". Why? In particular since the UK won't be paying attention either, while demanding the EU does not.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Irrelevant - the problem is that after Brexit it could be an open door through which non compliant goods could flow. The volume today matters not - it's what it could become.
                        image.jpg

Comment

• "Own we this sort of thing" ?
                          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                            "Own we this sort of thing" ?
                            "Down with this sort of thing". From Father Ted, the satirical TV show set around a house full of Priests on "Craggy Island" off the West coast of Ireland. The Parish priests was an atheist, the young priest was an idiot and the old priests was an alcoholic. It was brilliant.

When the Russians and Polish fans were beating lumps out of each other during the Euro Championships a few years ago a few Irish fans took the opportunity to stand nearby holding copies of these signs.
                            "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                            validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                              From Father Ted,
                              I've seen it around, never watched it, will check it out thanks

High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X