Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    - emphasis mine

'Round here, "BJ" means something else entirely -- and it's not a phrase that I'd ever associate with the current British Prime Minister.

Rimshot
    But it mean nothing special in France, so I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post
      In a tie the Speaker is required to vote on the side of the government giving them a majority of one. Though with Bercow who he would vote for is anyone’s guess.
      I remember him from the last episode.

How does one become Speaker of the House, is it a nomination or an election ?

Edit, it appears to be done in typical British fashion...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next...mmons_election

However, in May 2019 Bercow stated that he did not feel it was “sensible to vacate the chair” while there were momentous events, such as Brexit, before parliament.[5]
      He did not "feel" it was "sensible" ??

That's good to know, but his feelings really have no part to play in a representative democracy imho.

The mother of all parliaments indeed...….
      Last edited by Snowygerry; 30 Aug 19, 02:59.
      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by marktwain View Post

OK- I confess to shoving Albert Einstein's' Wheelchair into the Piranha pool.....

Fish farms raise Tilapia and various carps on plankton and algae, which then go into Salmon's diet. ( Not Alex, the farmed stuff.)
        I think the ratio is 3kg of Tilapia or other fish/seafood to 1 kg of Salmon?

As regards seeding the sea, the UK has done a really dumb thing in ordering all the old oil and gas rigs to be removed from the North Sea and be dismantled in port whereas they could have left them there to become their own little micro ecosystems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

That's good to know, but his feelings really have no part to play in a representative democracy imho.

That's what we are all thinking too.

He is a nasty little bully to boot, with many complaints against him, the investigations of which have either been blocked by MPs or he has himself led.

https://order-order.com/?s=bercow#gs...ully&gsc.sort=

Comment

• Originally posted by Metryll View Post

But it mean nothing special in France, so I don't care
            Au contraire, mon ami. In France, a BJ is a president's last act in office.

Rimshot
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
              He is a nasty little bully to boot, with many complaints against him, the investigations of which have either been blocked by MPs or he has himself led.
              Thus - depending on how things go, it will be Bercow the unelected dictator, or Johnson the unelected dictator, and a 90-year old Queen on top.

She'd best deliver the speech of a lifetime.

Half of your population dissatisfied either way, even discounting Irish and Scots.

What a mess
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 30 Aug 19, 06:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                Au contraire, mon ami. In France, a BJ is a president's last act in office.

Rimshot
                For some of your presidents it was their first act "in office" I'm sure

Comment

• Former MP, and one of the primary authors of the peace process in Northern Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement, John Major, joins the the legal battle to prevent JoBo silencing the representatives of the people in their Parliament.
                  "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                  validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                  "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                    Former MP, and one of the primary authors of the peace process in Northern Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement, John Major, joins the the legal battle to prevent JoBo silencing the representatives of the people in their Parliament.
                    Sleazy Euro-philic, anti-democratic hypocrite who tried hard to destroy the economy and Tory party whilst Prime Minister

"John Major has continued his recent campaign to make a fool of himself with a threat this morning to take the Government to court if it prorogues parliament to enable a No Deal Brexit to take place. Funny how Major didn’t have such a problem with proroguing Parliament when he abused his power to do so in 1997 in order to delay the publication of a highly embarrassing report into the “cash for questions” sleaze scandal involving his Government. Flagrant hypocrisy even by his standards, he must be glad no-one sued him then…

Prorogation is presented as a power grab but in practice all it does is keep the law as it is – preventing changes to the statute being made for a time. It wouldn’t work as a mechanism to deliver a No Deal Brexit if MPs hadn’t already voted for No Deal. When they set it as the legal default by passing the EU Withdrawal Act a year ago.

The pernicious trend of Remainers trying to wage ‘lawfare’ against every political decision they don’t like is much more damaging to the constitutional balance of the state. There’s only one group of people who benefit from it – the lawyers…"

https://order-order.com/2019/07/10/j...ions-scrutiny/

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

I remember him from the last episode.

How does one become Speaker of the House, is it a nomination or an election ?

Edit, it appears to be done in typical British fashion...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next...mmons_election

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Sure, but if we assume that the UK is still a parliamentary democracy shouldn't the decision on whether to legislate or not to be set for the parliament to decide? And not unilaterally be decided by the government. Had the PM done the decision after having heard (and voted on it) in the Parliament there would have been much less complaints. But the problem seems to be that PM would not have had majority in the parliament to actually pull that off.

And like stated by others in this discussion the ability of the PM to practically usurp the power from the Parliament - especially without consulting it - would seem to create a rather bad precedent. It is one thing to stop legislating on mutual agreement and totally another to prevent the supposedly supreme authority in the UK from taking action. At which point you may need to question if parliament actually is supreme in the UK or does the government have the ability to stamp the parliament down if and when it so chooses?

That being said i doubt the proroguing actually changes anything with regards to Brexit. Several of the EU countries were already strongly opposed to any kind of future extensions so the opinion of the UK parliament towards that end doesn't seem to matter all that much since any decision to extend would require unanimity from the EU member states (i.e. council). And there hasn't been any indications that the EU would have been any more willing to compromise on the integrity of the single market & customs union (i.e. meaning the withdrawal agreement together with the backstop).

What do you think or imagine that the proroguing achieves within the scope of Brexit and Brexit negotiations?
                        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• A polandball reaction (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/polandball/...5/brexit_coma/) :

With tiny Scotlands (complete with bagpipes) singing 'ooo ye total wanker'
                          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                            Several of the EU countries were already strongly opposed to any kind of future extensions so the opinion of the UK parliament towards that end doesn't seem to matter all that much since any decision to extend would require unanimity from the EU member states (i.e. council).
                            Yeah right, in reality none of those countries that might make a noise against an extension would actually have the bottle to vote against it.

Comment

Yeah right, in reality none of those countries that might make a noise against an extension would actually have the bottle to vote against it.
                              That's right; only Blighty has the backbone for this sort of stuff, wat ho old boy?
                              "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                              validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

You are free to believe what you will but it might not be quite as simplistic as what you clearly imagine.

Regardless of that - you didn't answer the question however so... What do you think or imagine that the proroguing achieves within the scope of Brexit and Brexit negotiations?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X