Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
    Somehow beginning to look like some kind of France-1958 situation. But no de Gaulle to turn to, to draft a new constitution?
    But De Gaulle had the backing of the French army that makes it somewhat easier to strongarm a parliament
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
      How can you set a new "legislative agenda" without a majority ?
      Well the Government can set the agenda - Bercow willing - getting Parliament to vote the way the Government wants may be the tricky bit!

I think they still have a mjority of one?

Comment

• The Conservative party holds 311 seats of the 650 apparently ?

Everyone can set an "legislative agenda" of course, even someone with just one seat, but that doesn't make much sense does it ?

Edit, even if you add the DUP - they still make only 321 seats ??

https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...f-the-parties/
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 29 Aug 19, 08:23.

Comment

The Conservative party holds 311 seats of the 650 apparently ?

Everyone can set an "legislative agenda" of course, even someone with just one seat, but that doesn't make much sense does it ?

Edit, even if you add the DUP - they still make only 321 seats ??

https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...f-the-parties/

The Tories are still Her Majesties Government and Labour are the Official Opposition..

Sinn Fein don't take their seats so that's 643 ....

I wonder who has most to fear of new elections. Tory remainers perhaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
            Even then 311(or 321) isn't a majority.

The Tories are still Her Majesties Government and Labour are the Official Opposition..
            Eh - ok if you say so….

It's all the same to me after all , but it's all quite bizar for an outsider I must say

Comment

And what do you think the farmed fish eat genius?
              That is part of the process of the indoor fish farming. There are already currently at least pilot stage algae reactors running (they may have scaled up already) which can be used to grow feed for fish indoors.
              Yes. UK fishermen will have more choice in what they fish and will tend towards the most profitable.
              Sure, sure... What ever you want to believe. Just don't expect it to be any sort of a windfall.
              Norway and Iceland are in the Single Market because of EFTA. Norwegian and Iceland fishing would be just as profitable outside the SM if the EU put import tariffs on them.
              Yet they part of the fishing agreement. If what you wrote were true then they would have no interest to do so, and would not have done so. So are you seriously claiming that you know the matter better than the Norwegians themselves? Because that is what you are saying.

As to actual answer - no, they would not. People are not willing to pay more quite that easily. Such a change could easily collapse the demand as well. It really doesn't matter how much you can supply if at the cost you asking there is simply no demand for it.
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

I wonder who has most to fear of new elections. Tory remainers perhaps.
                Tory Remainers who have their whips removed. This is Boris’s method of keeping them in line. May couldn’t make that threat as she was certain to lose an election. On the other hand Boris stands a good chance if winning so the threat of removing whips then calling an election if Remainers don’t stay in line is real.
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Even then 311(or 321) isn't a majority.

Eh - ok if you say so….

It's all the same to me after all , but it's all quite bizar for an outsider I must say
                  In a tie the Speaker is required to vote on the side of the government giving them a majority of one. Though with Bercow who he would vote for is anyone’s guess.
                  "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by the ace View Post
                    The last monarch to prorogue Parliament was Charles I - things could've gone better subsequently.

On a related note, the darling of Scottish Unionism, Ruth Davidson, seems to be on the verge of resigning as Scottish Conservative leader. Frankly, her jaiket's been on a shoogly peg since she suggested that Scotland use the EU elections to send a message to Nicola Sturgeon about how they felt on independence - they did, but it wasn't to Ruthie's liking.
                    Sturgeon? Salmon??Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland (cropped).jpg​ HOW DID WE get back on the fish tales?

But while we are here:
                    the West coast Scottish codfish stock collapsed in the late 1970's- and still hasn't come to a commercial biomass.
                    the latest among biologists is that the fish cod prey on (sand lance, snow crab, grunion) expanded rapidly after the collapse of the cod fishery- and being hungry ,began feeding on codfish eggs and fry...

Starting a pattern of predation that cripples the recovery when the biomass drops . The baitfish the cod like to mow down as adults alter the ecosystem.

Lake trout recovery in Saskatchewan was enhanced by dumping scows of crushed rock to form protected egging spots, to keep the, burbot, ciscoes, lake whitefish, etc., from scarfing down the trout eggs.
                    Last edited by marktwain; 29 Aug 19, 21:41.
                    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• I raise a glass and give you a toast......Good Old Boris has done what neither Hitler or Napoleon could do... a sad day for what was once an "Empire that the sun never set on" . Yes!! you will survive as Brits are a hard headed bunch but your politicians sold you down the river decades ago..................Me, I'm glad I became a "Colonial" may years ago

A large cognac and a toast to you on your new voyage....

Toulon France
                      Last edited by Bow; 29 Aug 19, 14:30.

Comment

And what do you think the farmed fish eat genius?

Yes. UK fishermen will have more choice in what they fish and will tend towards the most profitable.

Oh and BTW some of the UK fish exported to the EU is for processing and reexport around the world.

Norway and Iceland are in the Single Market because of EFTA. Norwegian and Iceland fishing would be just as profitable outside the SM if the EU put import tariffs on them.
                        EU consumers would pay the bill.
                        OK- I confess to shoving Albert Einstein's' Wheelchair into the Piranha pool.....

Fish farms raise Tilapia and various carps on plankton and algae, which then go into Salmon's diet. ( Not Alex, the farmed stuff.)

Comment

But De Gaulle had the backing of the French army that makes it somewhat easier to strongarm a parliament
                          He had President René Coty's mandate to do first of all. It was Coty's threat to resign otherwise that cleared the way for the assembly's acceptance of de Gaulle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metryll View Post
                            . . . . Whether BJ is acting as Charles . . . .
                            - emphasis mine

'Round here, "BJ" means something else entirely -- and it's not a phrase that I'd ever associate with the current British Prime Minister.

Rimshot
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              - emphasis mine

'Round here, "BJ" means something else entirely -- and it's not a phrase that I'd ever associate with the current British Prime Minister.

Rimshot
                              I believe he might be doing an "Ollie', being a commoner.... And since we are describing piscine affairs:
                              'ow 'bout two pikes and a swordfish, gov'nor?"
                              Last edited by marktwain; 30 Aug 19, 08:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                                1. On the contrary government policy is to seek an acceptable deal but if that is not possible by the end of October then leave anyway. It has been over three years since the referendum. If an acceptable deal cannot be agreed by 31st October it never will be thus those MPs whining about no deal are all against the 52%.
                                52% of what ? Voters to the non binding referendum ?

2. They have next week to initiate a vote of no confidence but as I said the Remainers haven’t the guts to do it. They know Boris has the support of the people and thus would probably win an election.
                                You're confusing the cause (Brexit) and the effect (constitutional crisis). The issue there is not the kind of Brexit but who between the PM or the Parliament got the last word. In UK constitution it is Parliament. BJ action make it the PM. Since UK legal system is a case law one, it mean that every futur PM would become sovereign over Parliament which turn to a regime change also called coup when done outside any legal frame.

Should the case to be bring before SCUK, the Court will not have to judge the ability to Parliament to operate later but its ability/inability to operate at PM will.

About BJ chance of election, may be. But I cast some doubt on a victory should a Court convict him of a coup attempt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X