Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    How does your red lines graph change , when Britain splits into the Heptarchy and the five potenates of Greater Druidland?
    It's 1950 they are going back to, not 1950 before the French conquest.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Blitz spirit and stiff upper lip, Johnny Foreigner will crack before us. That's their strategy?
      I take it they understand that they have a much weaker hand than the EU... or maybe they don't understand.
      Rather proving my earlier remark!

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

It's 1950 they are going back to, not 1950 before the French conquest.
        That would b e...1950 B.F.C.

The map does explain why the current POTUSA is having a show down With Denmark.

which one of you pundits told him about the Danelaw?
        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

That would b e...1950 B.F.C.

The map does explain why the current POTUSA is having a show down With Denmark.

which one of you pundits told him about the Danelaw?
          Sorry, typo. I meant 1950, not 1050 before they were conquered by the French (in 1066).
          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner View Post
            Yeah, I think you need to check on WTO rules before blathering on.
            Try reading and learning instead of repeating same old nonsense: https://www.toll.no/en/goods/fish/ex...ort-to-the-eu/ it is actually explained in there - though you actually have to read the legalese to understand it.
            Better informed people:
            Anonymous data without any actual relevant data as from whom the information was from? As such what you posted is totally worthless. Regardless even if we would take a look at the values what you posted were not facts, evaluations, estimates, nor any sort of results but instead perceptions (i.e. opinions or feelings) as to how it works out. FYI - it is the 'in your opinion' part.
            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
              Try reading and learning instead of repeating same old nonsense: https://www.toll.no/en/goods/fish/ex...ort-to-the-eu/ it is actually explained in there - though you actually have to read the legalese to understand it.
              And what does that have anything to do with your imaginary EU threat to ban imports of UK fish if EU fishermen aren't allowed to fish the UK's EEZ?

They aren't allowed to freely fish Norway's EEZ you know. Plus, as I said a while back now, being able to fish the UK's waters is an ace in the pack as regards the EU in agreements on fishing with Norway and Iceland.
              When the UK leaves the balance of power shifts markedly from the EU.

Anonymous data without any actual relevant data as from whom the information was from? As such what you posted is totally worthless. Regardless even if we would take a look at the values what you posted were not facts, evaluations, estimates, nor any sort of results but instead perceptions (i.e. opinions or feelings) as to how it works out. FYI - it is the 'in your opinion' part.
              You're really rubbish at concision.
              https://ukandeu.ac.uk/british-fisher...-eu-heres-why/

Comment

• So good old Boris is attempting to bully the EU into submission on a modified Britex plan that he will dictate terms of separation.....good luck on that one mate....you have been watching to many Trump bits on tv......of course when the whole thing falls apart, he like Trump will blame somebody else. and then run away to some tax haven.......

Toulon France...

Comment

And what does that have anything to do with your imaginary EU threat to ban imports of UK fish if EU fishermen aren't allowed to fish the UK's EEZ?
                  Do read it. It shows some of the practical aspects of the preferential trade. And what i stated is not news of any kind: https://www.ft.com/content/ad3b2b52-...0-9cf212677a57 (in 2018):
                  Originally posted by FT
                  In the draft document to be approved on Sunday, the EU warns Britain that a fisheries deal is “a matter of priority”, adding that the agreement should be based on “existing reciprocal access and quota shares” and “negotiated well before the end of the transition period”.
                  What i have been stating is the exact same the EU has been saying for almost a year now. It is nothing new. That you seem to be blown away from it is rather strange.
                  They aren't allowed to freely fish Norway's EEZ you know. Plus, as I said a while back now, being able to fish the UK's waters is an ace in the pack as regards the EU in agreements on fishing with Norway and Iceland.
                  When the UK leaves the balance of power shifts markedly from the EU.
                  Not freely but with quotas. Pretty much the same thing as with CFP in practice. Given that regardless of fishing rights or shared access the fishing in the UK is export business that is largely aimed to the EU it would be rather detrimental for it to have that market access reduced, especially if and when other countries, such as Norway, would still retain that preferential access.

The UK leaving doesn't really change the 'balance of power'. All it does is allow the UK to choose if it wants to have shared access to fisheries and have preferential market access or not. But it doesn't give any more strength to the UK in negotiations. The items on the table are linked - you can't have one without the other.
                  You're really rubbish at concision.
                  So you run out of actual arguments and moved straight to ad hominems?
                  And? That the UK fishermen think or believe or hope (without any evidence) that they would do better outside the EU is not proof of any kind that they would actually do better outside of the EU. Or did you not understand? As was said before in this thread that the fishermen's dislike CFP and similar setups which prevent them from scouring the seas clean is hardly a surprise (and it is not limited to the UK). But it doesn't show, indicate, hint, or provide any reason to believe that the fishermen would actually do better outside the EU.

And its not just me who is saying that things ain't going to be better post-Brexit for the fishermen: https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-pinching-our-fish/ & https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/...tish-fisheries
                  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                    Do read it. It shows some of the practical aspects of the preferential trade. And what i stated is not news of any kind: https://www.ft.com/content/ad3b2b52-...0-9cf212677a57 (in 2018):

What i have been stating is the exact same the EU has been saying for almost a year now. It is nothing new. That you seem to be blown away from it is rather strange.

Not freely but with quotas. Pretty much the same thing as with CFP in practice. Given that regardless of fishing rights or shared access the fishing in the UK is export business that is largely aimed to the EU it would be rather detrimental for it to have that market access reduced, especially if and when other countries, such as Norway, would still retain that preferential access.

The UK leaving doesn't really change the 'balance of power'. All it does is allow the UK to choose if it wants to have shared access to fisheries and have preferential market access or not. But it doesn't give any more strength to the UK in negotiations. The items on the table are linked - you can't have one without the other.

So you run out of actual arguments and moved straight to ad hominems?
                    Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                    And its not just me who is saying that things ain't going to be better post-Brexit for the fishermen: https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-pinching-our-fish/ & https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/...tish-fisheries

Blah, blah, blah, ignore the question, inanely repeat yourself and link to pages that don't even support your argument.
                    You're good at this debate malarkey.

That the UK fishermen think or believe or hope (without any evidence) that they would do better outside the EU is not proof of any kind that they would actually do better outside of the EU.
                    What evidence would you like? The UK has some rich fishing waters. Less than half the catch taken in UK waters is taken by UK fishermen. Because of the CFP. Fishing, because of declining global stocks and growing population, is a sellers market.

Ergo leaving the EU is going to be very good for UK fishermen, It really is that simple.

Comment

Blah, blah, blah, ignore the question, inanely repeat yourself and link to pages that don't even support your argument.
                      You really should have read what was in those articles. It is quite clear that you didn't. Or did you already forget that you already forgot that you actually asked if it had something to do with the prospects of the ban - and if you read the article you will notice that it does - and also that what i stated is not any kind of news. It is exactly the same thing that the EU stated quite a while back.
                      What evidence would you like? The UK has some rich fishing waters. Less than half the catch taken in UK waters is taken by UK fishermen. Because of the CFP. Fishing, because of declining global stocks and growing population, is a sellers market.
                      For one the fish do not recognize the boundaries so ain't quite that easy regardless of the richness of the waters. And it has been the UK itself that has kept selling off its quotas so that part is not fault of any one else than the UK itself. Also diminishing stocks may also cast rather dark shadows on fishing just like hunting does these days - one of the many reasons why fish farming (especially indoors) is seen as the future. It is probably telling that Norwegians are among the leaders in that despite of having good fishing waters themselves. The main point which you do not seem to be understanding is that after adding in lack of premium price (since due to sanitary checks the UK fish will not be fresh), addition of tariffs & customs, addition of other non-tariff barriers will make the UK fish noncompetitive. It is not 'sellers market' - it is an open market which means the main beneficiaries will be the Icelanders and Norwegians. You seem to imagine this as some sort of zero sum game - it ain't.
                      Ergo leaving the EU is going to be very good for UK fishermen, It really is that simple.
                      Very unlikely. The UK fishing industry will need to export to the EU just to survive - without having privileged access the margins for the UK industries will shrink from what they currently are even if the costs in the EU would slightly rise. According to the current predictions the best case scenario for the UK fishing industry in Brexit would be that it would not shrink. There are no real benefits to be seen that would not be immediately countered by the problems caused by the Brexit - just because the grass seems greener on the other side of the fence doesn't mean it would be so.

Thing is unlike you i really don't care what people imagine or what they think. I care about what i can prove and what the data shows. And despite of the UK hyperbole there is no real upside for fishing to be seen in Brexit - if you filter out the emotions and stay objective. Sure the things might not be so great for the EU either but that is not what was being discussed.

Comment

• A post from Gooner consisting of nothing but a comment about another poster was removed.
                        Again, address the post and not the poster.
                        Further comments of this type will result in further staff actions
                        Thank you
                        ACG Staff

Comment

• The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

What's that cartoon got to do with Brexit?

What has it got to do with anything? (I could go spam any thread in the US politics forums with just general Trump cartoons with as much justification.)

Are you implying there are challenges for the EU it's not quite addressing? Sure. But who claimed otherwise?

And in relation to that, one of the UK's problems is that Brexit isn't even the main concern for the rest of the EU. It's more of a distraction, of rather lesser importance than some other things. That we tend not to discuss as much – because ferking Brexit seemingly eats all the oxygen in the room.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                              What's that cartoon got to do with Brexit?

What has it got to do with anything? (I could go spam any thread in the US politics forums with just general Trump cartoons with as much justification.)

Are you implying there are challenges for the EU it's not quite addressing? Sure. But who claimed otherwise?

And in relation to that, one of the UK's problems is that Brexit isn't even the main concern for the rest of the EU. It's more of a distraction, of rather lesser importance than some other things. That we tend not to discuss as much – because ferking Brexit seemingly eats all the oxygen in the room.
                              I can't comment on what the cartoon implies- because I didn't draw it.
                              Meaning is in the eye of the artist....Although I do believe it was published in the Yorkshireman's \Economic Review.

As you may notice, I am in favour of renewing the ole Heptarchy, as it allows the English to have their own little common Market with its' own little squabbles. However, I would make it a Octarchiy, since if one is to have an Essex, Sussex, and Wessex, someone has to speak for the long forgotten Nossex folk.
                              Last edited by marktwain; 24 Aug 19, 11:48.
                              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Guido's on the money again
                                Who's Guido ??

Any any rate - the point is you could have had your no-deal Brexit in the spring already, for sure it wasn't the EU that stopped you.

The UK is like an angry wife, 3 years after waking us up in the middle of night to tell she's leaving, she's still standing in the kitchen trying to figure through which door to leave.

While at first it just seemed like a bad idea, it quickly became silly, now it's become irritating, and pretty soon it will cost us money too...

Just be gone already, or stop nagging, or like our US American friends like to say "**** or get off the pot..."
                                Last edited by Snowygerry; 26 Aug 19, 02:23.
                                High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                                Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Working...
                                X