X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban hermit
    started a topic The Great German Meltdown

The Great German Meltdown

i read this editorial today and thought I’d share it just to see how long it takes for others to attack me instead of discussing the points made in the piece.
    i don’t think I will have to wait long.

“In a perfect world, Germany would address its frustrations through introspection. After all, no one forced Berlin to take in over a million problematic refugees from the Middle East. No one forced it to export goods on easy credit to leveraged buyers who visibly lived far above their means. No one forced it to renege on its NATO defense promises and responsibilities. No one forced it to have a long and catastrophic history with the Jewish people. And no one forces it to expect perpetual U.S. military protection while continually setting record trade surpluses.
    Despite the long postwar history of U.S.-German friendship, and despite Germany’s financial and economic power, the country is becoming psychologically isolated, if not unhinged. While Germans broadcast their anti-Americanism, they seem oblivious that Americans may likewise be tiring of German petulance.
    If we are entering yet another historical period of dangerous German resentment, the ensuing result will bode ill for everyone involved.”
    https://www.hoover.org/research/great-german-meltdown

• Emtos
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

No and no

Plus you apparently have no idea why women are not happier today. There is very little connection between rights which bring obligations and happiness. Rights are vested in the individual but we collectively insist on them because communist tyrannies fail.
    What makes you say that ? You seen to have very little understanding about Germany, women and communism.

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Originally posted by Emtos View Post

Why do you believe they didn't understand ? They followed Hitler because he promised to make Germany great again and had a good start on doing so. Merkel accomplished it with Germany being the dominant power of EU and his de-facto leader.

I see perfectly what they want. Somebody wanting to get back to 50's in regards of women rights, would be instantly ejected from modern politics in Europe.
    No and no

Plus you apparently have no idea why women are not happier today. There is very little connection between rights which bring obligations and happiness. Rights are vested in the individual but we collectively insist on them because communist tyrannies fail.

Leave a comment:

• Emtos
    replied

No it's why they didn't understand what Hitler or Merkel would result in.
    Why do you believe they didn't understand ? They followed Hitler because he promised to make Germany great again and had a good start on doing so. Merkel accomplished it with Germany being the dominant power of EU and his de-facto leader.

Women are more unhappy than they were in the 50's. You clearly don't understand them.
    I see perfectly what they want. Somebody wanting to get back to 50's in regards of women rights, would be instantly ejected from modern politics in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Originally posted by Emtos View Post

Germans are more pragmatic than the Americans. They understand that all of this doesn't exist.
    No it's why they didn't understand what Hitler or Merkel would result in.

Of course they wouldn't. We aren't in 19th century anymore. Today women will not stand home and get busy with kids. Theywant to be independent with their own income.
    Women are more unhappy than they were in the 50's. You clearly don't understand them.

Leave a comment:

• Emtos
    replied
    Germany is good at engineering but not so great when it comes to the big picture. American pragmatism philosophy should be required reading in German schools. Somehow they just can't grasp the idea of the divinity of all individuals, the nature of freewill and the relationship to meritocracy.
    Germans are more pragmatic than the Americans. They understand that all of this doesn't exist.

Germany doesn't need more workers as automation becomes more of a force in the world and if their economy was as good as people say they wouldn't turn their woman into wage slaves in support of some utopian dream. If one income in Germany could support a family and buy a house their women would opt into motherhood.
    Of course they wouldn't. We aren't in 19th century anymore. Today women will not stand home and get busy with kids. Theywant to be independent with their own income.

Leave a comment:

• Persephone
    replied
    The same could be said for their newly immigrated workforce.
    If the millions of refugees pass their assimilation training, their women could opt into motherhood.

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Germany is good at engineering but not so great when it comes to the big picture. American pragmatism philosophy should be required reading in German schools. Somehow they just can't grasp the idea of the divinity of all individuals, the nature of freewill and the relationship to meritocracy.

Germany doesn't need more workers as automation becomes more of a force in the world and if their economy was as good as people say they wouldn't turn their woman into wage slaves in support of some utopian dream. If one income in Germany could support a family and buy a house their women would opt into motherhood.

Leave a comment:

• Persephone
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

BMW opened their plant in Spartanburg SC in 1993 or so. I heard about it in '92, and I was seriously tempted to go there. I think I would have liked building BMWs, though South Carolina would have stretched my tolerance to its limits.
    They are assembled in Spartanburg, SC. All the pieces are made in Germany, still.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied

well John, have you heard about casting stones in a glass house? Germany's VERY Dark period lasted 12 years. How long has Americas slavery and segregation lasted? We can avoid our policy to the NA for now and our taking of land by military force. But it can always be brought to the table.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by Konzev View Post

Your argument contains the flaw by raising "the guilty by association" question.
    I just finished reading The German War by Nicholas Stargardt. There were a lot of Germans who were entirely happy being ruled by the Nazis until the very end of war, so I guess that "guilt by association" fits here.

Leave a comment:

• Konzev
    replied
    Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    Yeah, "apart the Nazi period". That's the world's biggest "except". That's like saying "I killed 50 people last week but I didn't kill anyone before that and I haven't killed any since so I'm basically a good person".
    Your argument contains the flaw by raising "the guilty by association" question.

Leave a comment:

• Konzev
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    Perhaps this is false also, although I would prefer proof over conjecture,

”For all of its growing animus toward America, Germany has still not met its promised 2 percent expenditures of GDP on defense according to NATO’s requirements.
    If the German Parliament would seriously try to attempt that, I fail to see much of public support.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
    Germany: Left-wing violence and extremism on the rise

https://www.yahoo.com/news/germany-l...113644138.html
    https://www.dw.com/en/more-right-win...ver/a-37491252
    More right-wing attacks on German politicians than ever

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    Is this statement false?

”Militarily, the radical about-faces are the same. Germany has gone from spiked helmets to Weimar pacifism, from the Waffen SS to Potemkin divisions and gossamer air wings. Berlin never quite seems to realize that had it just followed the classical golden mean—strong armed forces under the auspices of Democratic government—it would have neither scared its neighbors nor required 70 years of subsidized postwar defense dependence.

Despite America’s role in the Cold War protecting West Germany and later unifying East and West, Germans now conveniently poll as among the most anti-American people in the EU. And Germany polls the most anti-Trump, which is not surprising given Trump’s harangues about fairer NATO defense spending and trade deficits, both implicit denunciations of Germany’s mercantile trade policies, and virtual disarmament and reliance on the U.S. military.”
    Who had the largest and strongest ground force in NATO during the Cold War?

Germans are not anti American. You mistake their disgust of Trump for Anti Americanism. The German mercantile is were most Germans work and make a living. ..........PERSONAL ATTACK DELETED..............

Based on your recent non PG-13 and foul language public description of what the acronym TDS stands for, the usage of TDS by YOU will not be allowed to stand now and in the future, and will be views as a personal attack and an actionable offense. You brought that upon yourself.

ACG Staff
    Last edited by Salinator; 30 Jun 18, 16:29.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X