The Great German Meltdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great German Meltdown

i read this editorial today and thought I’d share it just to see how long it takes for others to attack me instead of discussing the points made in the piece.
    i don’t think I will have to wait long.

“In a perfect world, Germany would address its frustrations through introspection. After all, no one forced Berlin to take in over a million problematic refugees from the Middle East. No one forced it to export goods on easy credit to leveraged buyers who visibly lived far above their means. No one forced it to renege on its NATO defense promises and responsibilities. No one forced it to have a long and catastrophic history with the Jewish people. And no one forces it to expect perpetual U.S. military protection while continually setting record trade surpluses.
    Despite the long postwar history of U.S.-German friendship, and despite Germany’s financial and economic power, the country is becoming psychologically isolated, if not unhinged. While Germans broadcast their anti-Americanism, they seem oblivious that Americans may likewise be tiring of German petulance.
    If we are entering yet another historical period of dangerous German resentment, the ensuing result will bode ill for everyone involved.”
    https://www.hoover.org/research/great-german-meltdown
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

I disagree.

You will have to wait long
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Interesting I have never read anything from the Hoover Institution before that I can recall. Book marked the website to read more articles, thanks for sharing the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

“In a perfect world, Germany would address its frustrations through introspection. After all, no one forced Berlin to take in over a million problematic refugees from the Middle East.
        In Germany mortality is superior to births since 70's. Without migrants they would be in big trouble. Refugees is a method to get new labor force.

No one forced it to export goods on easy credit to leveraged buyers who visibly lived far above their means.
        Exports are necessary for Germany. Nothing wrong with that.

No one forced it to renege on its NATO defense promises and responsibilities.
        They didn't.

No one forced it to have a long and catastrophic history with the Jewish people.
        Again they didn't. Jews had trouble nearly everywhere in Europe since their arrival here. Apart the Nazi period, Jews were better in Germany than in many other countries.

And no one forces it to expect perpetual U.S. military protection while continually setting record trade surpluses.
        To my knowledge they don't expect that. Even the opposite, they expect US to leave.

Despite the long postwar history of U.S.-German friendship, and despite Germany’s financial and economic power, the country is becoming psychologically isolated, if not unhinged. While Germans broadcast their anti-Americanism, they seem oblivious that Americans may likewise be tiring of German petulance.
        If we are entering yet another historical period of dangerous German resentment, the ensuing result will bode ill for everyone involved.”
        I wonder if somebody other than the author noticed that. Probably he is the only one.

There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

The Germans will threaten not to sell us anymore BMWs and Mercs?

The ironic thing is, if Germany had come out and said we want to buy a couple of hundred F-35s - which they can easily afford and probably could do with - old Trumpy would be happy, the trade deficit reduced and the looming trade war averted.

Comment

Refugees is a method to get new labor force.
            So how's that working out?

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post

In Germany mortality is superior to births since 70's. Without migrants they would be in big trouble. Refugees is a method to get new labor force.

Exports are necessary for Germany. Nothing wrong with that.

They didn't.

Again they didn't. Jews had trouble nearly everywhere in Europe since their arrival here. Apart the Nazi period, Jews were better in Germany than in many other countries.

To my knowledge they don't expect that. Even the opposite, they expect US to leave.

I wonder if somebody other than the author noticed that. Probably he is the only one.

I’m flattered that you give me credit for writing the article. I did not, I shared the article.
              i did so to open a dialogue about the content of the article ,
              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

I’m flattered that you give me credit for writing the article. I did not, I shared the article.
                i did so to open a dialogue about the content of the article ,
                I know that you didn't wrote it. I adressed the main points raised in the article. All of them are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post

So how's that working out?
                  They're still the economy number 1 in Europe and umber 4 in the world. So not that bad.

Comment

I know that you didn't wrote it. I adressed the main points raised in the article. All of them are wrong.
                    Time will tell. You can’t open the floodgates and expect no impact..
                    is this statement false?

”In response to the growing hatred, Felix Klein, Germany’s newly appointed special envoy entrusted by the Merkel government with addressing the nation’s growing anti-Semitism—much of it the result of the influx of Muslims—recently shrugged it off, simply pointing out that more and more Jews are leaving Germany: “It is quite understandable that those who are scared for the safety of their children would consider leaving.”

Comment

Is this statement false?

”Militarily, the radical about-faces are the same. Germany has gone from spiked helmets to Weimar pacifism, from the Waffen SS to Potemkin divisions and gossamer air wings. Berlin never quite seems to realize that had it just followed the classical golden mean—strong armed forces under the auspices of Democratic government—it would have neither scared its neighbors nor required 70 years of subsidized postwar defense dependence.

Despite America’s role in the Cold War protecting West Germany and later unifying East and West, Germans now conveniently poll as among the most anti-American people in the EU. And Germany polls the most anti-Trump, which is not surprising given Trump’s harangues about fairer NATO defense spending and trade deficits, both implicit denunciations of Germany’s mercantile trade policies, and virtual disarmament and reliance on the U.S. military.”

Comment

Perhaps this is false also, although I would prefer proof over conjecture,

”For all of its growing animus toward America, Germany has still not met its promised 2 percent expenditures of GDP on defense according to NATO’s requirements. Yet it still runs up huge trade deficits with the United States ($65 billion a year). Germany also enjoys the world’s largest account surplus at $287 billion—warping international trade as the country discourages imports and calibrates its economy mostly for export. The Euro is, by Berlin’s design, still undervalued, and allows the Germans a commercial competitiveness likely impossible were they still to use the Deutsche Mark.”

Comment

I think Merkel recently said that that's about the only thing Trump is right about, and Germany is aiming to raise their defence budget.

The article itself is decent, in the sense that the issues it brings up are there(except for the "catastrophic history with the Jewish people"). Only, they are extrapolated to the American viewpoint. That is to say, an European reading it would feel much the same way than an American does when reading about our posts when it comes to US healthcare or the gun debate.

What I find it funny is that the US president is currently trying to turn US trade deficit into a surplus. Yet somehow Germany having a massive trade surplus is the work of devil himself...go figure.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Yeah, "apart the Nazi period". That's the world's biggest "except". That's like saying "I killed 50 people last week but I didn't kill anyone before that and I haven't killed any since so I'm basically a good person".

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                              Yeah, "apart the Nazi period". That's the world's biggest "except". That's like saying "I killed 50 people last week but I didn't kill anyone before that and I haven't killed any since so I'm basically a good person".
                              Or, I had slaves and killed off the natives a hundred or two hundred years ago, but now I am a good person.
                              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X