Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What now UK? ‘Isolation’ without the ‘Splendid’?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now UK? ‘Isolation’ without the ‘Splendid’?

What now UK? ‘Isolation’ without the ‘Splendid’?

We (with myself excepted as usual of course) need to remember that this site is PRIMARILY a HISTORY discussion forum with other ‘issues’ off-shoot sub-forums.
    Am I right?
    Ridiculous question! Let’s not even give it a second thought!
    (God, I love everything about myself! I can’t help myself, I really, really can’t!)

Given the above and given the current state of affairs in the UK it may be interesting to start looking at what the future may hold for the Brits

I’m just remembering that 42 years ago I was assisting on a tute on guess what? Yep you guessed it , the UK’s very recent joining of the Common Market after years of trying (remember that?).

Funny how things turn hey

The new leader (when they finally sort out who it’ll be ) needs to look to the future and what approach to the world a UK, going it alone is going to take.

Now, as most of us know, there was a period in the late C19th when Britain pursued from a position of great strength, a policy of ‘Splendid Isolation’.
    This was where it stood aloof from continental European affairs till after the Boer War when one of the consequences was the realisation that being isolated may not be so splendid in the long run.
    The naval race with Germany helped accelerated Britain’s search for allies.

Britain had the strength to pursue the policy in those days.
    It’s a whole new world now.

Isolation without the splendid?
    The naval supremacy, industrial might, technological leads, finance dominance, massive empire, sense of purpose and superiority and political stability.
    Enough from me. (quite enough my wife often says!)

Be interested in your input.

Regards lodestar

I think the Brits voted for Brexit because of the nostalgia of the imperial era. Back then Britain called the shots as she saw fit because she was a colonial power in a league of her own. However, those years are long past and UK can no longer function in a league of her own.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I hear you. My main interest is war at sea but damn it the politics forums are like a flame to this moth. Thanks Obama!

I do not see isolation, rather I see us becoming a ***** to the World. For a good decade.

I have looked for a positive side that tickles my view of the World and if there is one it is that we are no longer going to be in a position to carry so much dead wood.
      We were barely in a position to do so before the vote, but with the right of the Conservative party about to take the helm I can see a real chance to create a leaner machine.

Much will depend upon what gets done with the Foreign /commonwealth departments.

As to the next leader, either of the ladies would be my preference.

Another card maybe in the deck could be if anybody else follows our decision to leave, I am in two minds as to whether this would make life harder or easier.

I do not see isolation, rather the flip side in that needs now must and we might have to court those we otherwise would have been too aloof to bother with much.

Eg Russia. Not much concern of who we sell weapons to and that kind of thing.

Edit: don't know why it's blocked out but the missing word begins with W and means lady of the night.
      Last edited by UGLYGUTS; 02 Jul 16, 09:15.
      Sealion would have failed..............runs,

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        I think the Brits voted for Brexit because of the nostalgia of the imperial era. Back then Britain called the shots as she saw fit because she was a colonial power in a league of her own. However, those years are long past and UK can no longer function in a league of her own.
        In the main it was immigration, and a decade of kicking a can down the road.

Personally, and I voted to remain, I don't know of anybody who thinks as you describe.

I am not sure it's a mindset that's invented in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by UGLYGUTS View Post

Personally, and I voted to remain, I don't know of anybody who thinks as you describe.

Seen from outside, UKIP manifesto sound like MosnterZero depiction.

Comment

Comment

It's a mindset created by people with a certain mindset.

Comment

Even the most nostalgic of Brits don't see the empire as nostalgic,we've move on from there,well on.

All we want is the right to trade with whom we please in a mutually beneficial agreement.

There is no jingoistic caveat attached,we simply want to regain the right to govern ourselves away from the shackles of the eu and all the madcap schemes it attempts (and sometimes succeeds) to force on us.

I don't really understand this kind of attitude from a US citizen.

If you were governed by unelected and foreign bureaucrats based in Mexico City wouldn't you wish to leave that arrangement without hankering for the heyday of the 50's?

We are in that position,we are governed by unelected foreigners in a very minor city in a very minor nation and we don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
                  Even the most nostalgic of Brits don't see the empire as nostalgic,we've move on from there,well on.

All we want is the right to trade with whom we please in a mutually beneficial agreement.

There is no jingoistic caveat attached,we simply want to regain the right to govern ourselves away from the shackles of the eu and all the madcap schemes it attempts (and sometimes succeeds) to force on us.

I don't really understand this kind of attitude from a US citizen.

If you were governed by unelected and foreign bureaucrats based in Mexico City wouldn't you wish to leave that arrangement without hankering for the heyday of the 50's?

We are in that position,we are governed by unelected foreigners in a very minor city in a very minor nation and we don't like it.
                  Many of the yanks don't get what is involved but by no means all.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                    It's a mindset created by people with a certain mindset.
                    Do you know what Cope, obviously I was an in voter and a fairly staunch one but since the vote, the constant stream of diss coming our way from foreigners has really galvanized my soul for the challenge ahead.

Even though I didnt vote for it, the British electorate did. I now want this decision shoved in the face of anyone abroad who scoffed at it.

I cant be alone on that front.

Comment

Do you know what Cope, obviously I was an in voter and a fairly staunch one but since the vote, the constant stream of diss coming our way from foreigners has really galvanized my soul for the challenge ahead.

Even though I didnt vote for it, the British electorate did. I now want this decision shoved in the face of anyone abroad who scoffed at it.

I cant be alone on that front.
                      You have a good respectable attitude and are a democrat. This post is to be commended.

Comment

What do you think is going to be with property markets in the UK and the EU? I believe in the slight fall of prices in England and Spain. Spain will suffer a wane of demand for real estate from British buyers who were extremely active in this market. And in London the weak pound will play its part to attract new foreign investors (according to brokers' forecasts https://tranio.com/united-kingdom/ne...e-the-eu_5152/, pay attention to the most interesting part "the real estate market in Britain may benefit from heightened foreign interest"

Comment

I have talked with some relatives in the UK and came to the conclusion that, in general, they didnt know what they were voting on and the consequences of such an action....some still have that old mind set of "having an Empire"....maybe it was about time that they, the UK, grew up and joined the the worlds scene.....

Comment

Originally posted by SummerCity View Post
                            What do you think is going to be with property markets in the UK and the EU? I believe in the slight fall of prices in England and Spain. Spain will suffer a wane of demand for real estate from British buyers who were extremely active in this market. And in London the weak pound will play its part to attract new foreign investors (according to brokers' forecasts https://tranio.com/united-kingdom/ne...e-the-eu_5152/, pay attention to the most interesting part "the real estate market in Britain may benefit from heightened foreign interest"
                            Spain isn't just a spot for the UK citizen but Germans as well. What the Brits may no long buy should mean a declining market price that others well happily fill the void.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Spain isn't just a spot for the UK citizen but Germans as well. What the Brits may no long buy should mean a declining market price that others well happily fill the void.
                              Went to southern Spain two years ago - sorely disappointed. It's become wall-to-wall condo buildings, bars, night-clubs, restaurants blotting the coastline. Granada was nice but the coastline is a write-off. Will not go back.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X